ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft - Northwestern

lunker35

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
Congrats to Luke Farrel (6th Round) and Zach Morton (32nd Round) on being drafted. NU sure does put a ton of guys into professional baseball.

Lunker, can I get your thoughts on the Cubs top draft pick as the resident baseball expert? I am under the impression that the pitching in the Cubs farm system is a mess. I'm also under the impression that there were two top pitching prospects in Appel and Gray. Appel went 1, so I'd take Gray at 2. That seems like the ideal situation where need meets availability. Instead the cubs take Bryant. He's a 3rd baseman. This seems very odd to me seeing as I expect Castro to eventually move to 3rd base once his arm gets stronger. What are your thoughts?

I'd like to add the cubs did take pitchers in rounds 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 so maybe that was the plan.

The MLB[/URL] draft is always tricky. You have a ton of 1st round guys that never pan out and a ton of 30th[/URL] round guys that have nice long careers in major league baseball. I admittedly[/URL] don't follow close enough to give you an in depth scouting report on the top guys in this years draft. From my understanding Appel[/URL] was the only can't miss pick in this draft. Once he was off the board then they went with the next best guy that they felt would fit their system. Maybe they like the young arms currently in their system, but I couldn't tell you for sure. It never hurts to have another stud third baseman that can tear the cover off the ball.

Always go BPA in this draft. The whole thing is far too speculative to try to collect players at a particular position. Guys with first-round talent get drafted later because of signability concerns. Guys get drafted later because teams are unsure if they want to go to college or if they might want to play another sport instead. Guys grow into their bodies or develop different skill sets during their three, four, six or ten years in the minors. Just take who you think is the best guy at that spot and things will work out.

Coincidentally, there's such a dearth of quality 3B throughout affiliated baseball right now, if a team happens to fall into a situation where they have multiple available, they'll be able to trade one for what they want and have it be much less speculative than drafting an 18-year-old pitcher. Get him when he's 24 and ready to go.

Don't forget about the slot system in place. Some teams are drafting easy-to-sign guys early and saving the bank for later rounds to sign HS kids who are threatening to go to college. Astros gamed the slot value system last year, if I recall. Conversely, you can draft a big-money guy in round 1 and cheaper guys later, but you have to be under budget or you lose future picks.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/4/4395338/mlb-draft-2013-team-budgets-and-first-round-values

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT