ADVERTISEMENT

Monday press conference notes

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Fitz was feisty today and was more adamant as usual about not saying much.

Notes

Game will be at 6:15 on ESPN: Blackledge, McDonough, Rowe

Iowa game time will be announced Sunday. It won’t be prime time.

OPOW: Bowser.

O big play: McGowan

DPOW: Hartage

D big play: Fisher

ST: Joe Bergin, Cam Ruiz

Practice: Ray Niro. Took every rep, busting his rear end.

Honorary captain: Jerry Brown.

Fitz:

Opening statement: We’re playing a great football team. Questions?

Questions

Playing ND: Focus on us getting better. They have talent at every position.

Thorson focus: First pick, too small a window. Second, trying to make a play. Would’ve liked Cam to go up for the ball a little bit.

Biggest challenge ND poses: Front is outstanding. Very talented. Michigan is similar. Dominant defensive front.

Memories of playing ND: Important Tuesday practice. Our players don’t care. They weren’t born.

What do you remember about those games: Crazy game last time we played. Jack Mitchell made some big kicks. I remember it was really cold. ’95 was really hot.

Playing big game but no impact on B1G: Control what you can control. We just gotta get better. Need veterans play like vets. Expect to be competitive. Played against teams like this, sometimes played well, sometimes didn’t. Focus on selves. We do the same thing every week, focus on us, try to get better.

Running back: Thought it was strength of team. Lark goes down, everything goes out the window. Friday Solo was cleared. Hopefully can practice tomorrow. Awesome games in production. There have been some runs, where you go, “what was that?” Just continue to work to get better.

OL improvement: Got healthier. Lots of improvement needs to happen. Need competition. Played best game vs. good front. They have their hands full this week.

Hall: Having him back is huge. All-Big Ten player. Lots of experience. Got a fumble recovery. Feel good for seniors. Go to November to play significant games. 30-40 teams playing significant games.

Zone vs. Rutgers vs. downhill vs. Wisconsin: We’re going to run the veer option this week. Won’t talk about game plan this week. Never have, never will.

I’ll change question: Bet I won’t answer it.

Bowser: Every player has own style. Changed a lot in last month. First, confidence. Opportunity changed, from possible redshirt to “I’m the guy.” All three guys (Bowser, Drake, Chad) working incredibly hard for football team.

Thorson seeing field: He’s doing great, doing fine. Won’t nitpick. Won more games than anyone in history.

Kickers: Drew feels great. Kuhbander’s pads were here. Spikes were in his dorm – manager took scooter to his room to get his kicking shoe. Charlie – maybe he’ll practice this week. Lot of weird stuff this year. It’s been great, it’s been fun.

Facility question (there are some ND reporters here): Thankful and grateful…blah, blah, blah.

What does facility mean for recruiting: Doesn’t necessarily mean you will get recruits. It checks the box that you have facilities. They still have to fit the program and you have to fit what you’re looking for. No magical thing that happens because of brick and mortar. It’s about the people.

High profile game in November: As unique as we’ve had. Big challenge outside of Big Ten play. Pretty rare. What a great opportunity. We’ve got nothing to lose. Guys are excited for the challenge. Lots of respect for Brian Kelly.

JB Butler

Nothing to lose but great opportunity to showcase our program prime-time….Play loose and have fun because it’s doesn’t impact the Big Ten at all. It’s big for guys not recruited by Notre Dame. My dad grew up in South Bend, grew up going to Notre Dame games.

More downhill blocking: Base stuff we run on game 1. Isaiah is a good runner when he squares his shoulders. Love blocking one-on-one.

ND defensive front: They’re long and athletic. Good pass rushers. They play really hard. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about them. I think we match up well. We’ve got guys that play hard and play physical. They may have had more stars next to their name coming out of high school, but that doesn’t matter now.

Best memories of NU-ND: When we beat them in South Bend in 2014 (he was a freshman). Hope to repeat that. What I remember the most was Kyle Prater’s catch in the corner of the end zone and Jack Mitchell’s kick in overtime. Nice to be home this time.

OL improvement. Turning point? We played well vs. Purdue early in career. It’s all about consistency. More consistency the last couple weeks.

Goal line situations: We sneaked it five times. Have to be better as a unit. 22 guys in the box. Literally. We don’t want Clayton to do that multiple times. Need to create better surge. No technique. It’s man on man.

Competitive depth, feel pressure? No pressure. Need guys to fill needs. More a fire under your butt. You have to play well and every practice means something. Competing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in practice, it’s natural to compete on Saturday.

Grow up dreaming to play for ND: No. Definitely not. Was a fan. Nothing in my heart anymore. Love the choice I made. Go back and redo it – if I had a scholarship offer from Notre Dame, or anywhere else, I would still come here. Why? Camaraderie. The guys you are with. Transparency of coaches.

Still has grandparents and sisters there. Whole family will be at the game, wearing purple. Two aunts, uncle, all families: 16-20 people. Depends on the weather.

Travis Whillock

Getting a chance after injuries: Feels good that coaches have confidence. Feels good to help the team.

Ian Book: Great team. More focused on ourselves.

What does defense need to improve: Tackling, running to the ball, causing turnovers. Just playing as one.

Non-B1G game: I think it’s exciting. Chance to show who we are as a program.

Choosing NU over Wisconsin: For me, what brought me here was the culture and people. Great support staff, from players, coaches to people outside the program.

Redshirt freshman year, missed whole year with hamstring injury. This summer, had problems with other hamstring. Trying to show that coaches and teammates can trust me. It’s been a rollercoaster, but it’s made me stronger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News