ADVERTISEMENT

More JJTBC Love

People should read the article because Fitzphile's quote is only a small part of what was said about JJ.

(Not saying you should have pasted more)

imagine if the OL is better this season...

That's the key. I still think there is a slight chance we improve the OL through another addition. COlin Mcgovern is a 5th year transfer from ND who started for them last year. He was heading to Virginia to play his 5th year but recently announced he was not heading there. We were involved with him and I hold out hope we find a way to bring him to Evanston. He would certainly be one of our starting 5 OL.

Also possible that we get involved with Pika Leota, Andrew Leota's brother. He is a good looking OL who announced he was transferring from South Carolina after RS as a freshman. While he would be a welcome addition, he would have to sit out next year.

That's the key. I still think there is a slight chance we improve the OL through another addition. COlin Mcgovern is a 5th year transfer from ND who started for them last year. He was heading to Virginia to play his 5th year but recently announced he was not heading there. We were involved with him and I hold out hope we find a way to bring him to Evanston. He would certainly be one of our starting 5 OL.

Also possible that we get involved with Pika Leota, Andrew Leota's brother. He is a good looking OL who announced he was transferring from South Carolina after RS as a freshman. While he would be a welcome addition, he would have to sit out next year.

What you are suggesting would be a serious condemnation of our OL recruiting, development, coaching and personal from within. It is one thing to bring in a guy but two or three, raises real questions IMO, don't you think?

Poor guy is going to awfully tired running through all the holes and mowing over smaller DBs.:cool:
Imagine if there were more holes.

Last year was an improvement, but NU's line has been below average to bad most JJ's career.

SBNation will be previewing the Cats soon, interested to see the line stats. Will check back when I do.

What you are suggesting would be a serious condemnation of our OL recruiting, development, coaching and personal from within. It is one thing to bring in a guy but two or three, raises real questions IMO, don't you think?

I am not sure if it will happen but I am pretty confident the staff would not turn down the opportunity to bring in another capable OL as a transfer, particularly if it helps next year. I think with the defense we have coming back, Thorson/JJ we have a chance to be special next season if we can get improved OL play. FItz said so himself earlier this offseason and therefore I think he would think long and hard if a capable transfer unexpectedly became available for next season. I can't disagree with your conclusions. That's the reality of our current situation.

I am not sure if it will happen but I am pretty confident the staff would not turn down the opportunity to bring in another capable OL as a transfer, particularly if it helps next year. I think with the defense we have coming back, Thorson/JJ we have a chance to be special next season if we can get improved OL play. FItz said so himself earlier this offseason and therefore I think he would think long and hard if a capable transfer unexpectedly became available for next season. I can't disagree with your conclusions. That's the reality of our current situation.

"Competitive depth" on the OL is something Fitz has mentioned a number of times.

Looking at our OL from left to right, I agree that our OL has been below average for JJTBC's career, and will need big improvement across the board. This season they have experience going for them, but the performance has been underwhelming to date.

LT - Hance 6-5 305 JR - average B1G tackle, needs to improve
LG - Butler 6-3 300 JR - walkon who beat out a senior last year
C - North 6-2 290 SR - played better last year, hopefully continues to improve
RG - Doles 6-6 295 JR - may be our best OL
RT - Klock? Vogel? Oxley? Klock the grad transfer has 2 yrs left, but has dealt with injuries

There is potential for this to be a solid line, but we'll see how this unit does on the field. If they can open some holes consistently for JJTBC, he could have his best season yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT