ADVERTISEMENT

More on Atkinson.

It just became that much harder for NU to claim it didn't know or for our coaches not to have known.

NOT to belittle the allegations but this article referenced one victim whereas on other thread discussion it was suggested there were multiple

Reactions: FeralFelidae
It just became that much harder for NU to claim it didn't know or for our coaches not to have known.

What is wrong with you people? Why are you (collectively) so damn quick to condemn the NU coaches and throw them under the bus? Fitz has proven over the years he runs a clean program (probably THE cleanest in the NCAA) and places a premium, almost to a fault, on ethics and character. Why would you think, if he had known that Atkinson or any other recruit had sexually assaulted one or more people, that Fitz would ignore that issue?

NOT to belittle the allegations but this article referenced one victim whereas on other thread discussion it was suggested there were multiple
thewildcat2011 pointed out in that thread that multiple allegations don't necessarily mean multiple victims.

And that one poster who claimed to be a senior at the high school also said it was a single person.

What is wrong with you people? Why are you (collectively) so damn quick to condemn the NU coaches and throw them under the bus? Fitz has proven over the years he runs a clean program (probably THE cleanest in the NCAA) and places a premium, almost to a fault, on ethics and character. Why would you think, if he had known that Atkinson or any other recruit had sexually assaulted one or more people, that Fitz would ignore that issue?
EXACTLY. JournCat, the tweet you reference says the social worker was charged with "failure to report". I read that as, "They're not talking" or "They're covering it up". So how does that make it harder for NU coaches to claim they didn't know something?

Reactions: SimpsonElmwood
EXACTLY. JournCat, the tweet you reference says the social worker was charged with "failure to report". I read that as, "They're not talking" or "They're covering it up". So how does that make it harder for NU coaches to claim they didn't know something?

The story (and tweet) says two other school employees reported the incident to law enforcement on Aug. 30. So there are three potential sources of information for NU:

- Employees of the school or district who should report adverse conduct by a student to a university that admitted him.
- Students at the school who knew this incident occurred. It was unclear the day of his arrest what had happened, but the affidavit fills in some gaps and makes clear there were witnesses. I'm thinking here of what GCG said about coaches always talking to the janitors or the popular kids, generally to get unofficial sources of information.
- Atkinson himself. I have not seen it confirmed anywhere that Atkinson was questioned by police before his arrest, but that would be a normal step in a he-said, she-said case more than a year after the alleged incident.

It has to be said the counterarguments are there: The school district just had someone inside the building charged with failure to report, students can talk among themselves and keep quiet to the grown-ups, and Atkinson has a huge incentive to keep quiet.

They're not required to do that, and indeed could get in a lot of trouble for doing so. In this case, they are required to report to the police, and they didn't do that, either.
Yes. I’m guessing if the HS coach knew (which if he did he still let him play...), that he was told by a lawyer from the school not to mention it to NU

The story (and tweet) says two other school employees reported the incident to law enforcement on Aug. 30. So there are three potential sources of information for NU:

- Employees of the school or district who should report adverse conduct by a student to a university that admitted him.
- Students at the school who knew this incident occurred. It was unclear the day of his arrest what had happened, but the affidavit fills in some gaps and makes clear there were witnesses. I'm thinking here of what GCG said about coaches always talking to the janitors or the popular kids, generally to get unofficial sources of information.
- Atkinson himself. I have not seen it confirmed anywhere that Atkinson was questioned by police before his arrest, but that would be a normal step in a he-said, she-said case more than a year after the alleged incident.

It has to be said the counterarguments are there: The school district just had someone inside the building charged with failure to report, students can talk among themselves and keep quiet to the grown-ups, and Atkinson has a huge incentive to keep quiet.
A year after the incident?

They're not required to do that, and indeed could get in a lot of trouble for doing so. In this case, they are required to report to the police, and they didn't do that, either.
Seems to me the school employee might find themself in court if they started calling schools blackballing commits about unsubstantiated rumors.

Interesting, JournCat; thanks. A point of distinction here that I think is worth reiterating is the difference - and it could be a large one - between people knowing about this and actually talking about it. As you point out, Atkinson himself has every incentive not to breathe a word of this to anyone who didn't already know about it, and in high school, kids seek the acceptance/approval of their peers (especially their higher profile peers), and generally are loathe to be seen as pariahs. While there are certainly exceptions, that would go a long way toward discouraging kids from opening up to adults about things they might've known or heard. So I'll say it again - I'm neither a fan nor a defender of McCall. We can ( and do) rightfully fault him for a lot of things. That said, it's neither reasonable nor logical to expect him to uncover information about something the likes of which there was no reason to suspect in the first place . . . and even if he did inexplicably and for no apparent reason have some sort of sixth sense that something was off, YET NO ONE AROUND THE KID WAS TALKING . . . what the hell's he supposed to do? Execute citizen's arrests on Atkinson's classmates and grill them in interrogation rooms? Place stock in the grumbling musings of a janitor who might reasonably and understandably be envious of the adulation and celebrity being heaped upon this teenager? Given the essential silence, the blanket lack
of candor by everyone with whom McCall could have reasonably been expected to speak, the lack of information he had isn't surprising in any way, and shouldn't be an indictment on his work here. There are law enforcement professionals who would've struggled to come up with some of this information against that backdrop.

The initial article made more than one reference to multiple victims, attributing that to Boulder police.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2019/11/22/fairview-high-quarterback-aidan-atkinson-sex-assault/

"Starting Fairview High School quarterback Aidan Atkinson has been arrested after police allege he sexually assaulted multiple young women on a party bus in 2018."

"According to the release from Boulder police, the suspect sexually assaulted multiple female victims — all of them also juveniles — on a party bus in Boulder."

The initial article made more than one reference to multiple victims, attributing that to Boulder police.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2019/11/22/fairview-high-quarterback-aidan-atkinson-sex-assault/

"Starting Fairview High School quarterback Aidan Atkinson has been arrested after police allege he sexually assaulted multiple young women on a party bus in 2018."

"According to the release from Boulder police, the suspect sexually assaulted multiple female victims — all of them also juveniles — on a party bus in Boulder."

And what is the definition of assault being used?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT