ADVERTISEMENT

Most accomplished non revenue sport pro

RhabdoWildcat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
I’ve been watching full swing and it’s great to see alums Luke Donald and Matt Fitzpatrick lead Europe to the Ryder Cup last year.

Beings to question who the most accomplished non-revenue athlete NU has produced.

Fitz has a US Open, Ryder Cup, US Amateur and top 10 ranking.

Luke Donald (world number 1 for a bit)

Matt Grevers (Olympic gold)

Joe Girardi (long MLB career, World Series as manager)

Any others?

Marty Riessen, I think he won 10 majors in both men's and mixed doubles. Also was on numerous Davis Cup teams.

Reactions: No Chores
Marty Riessen, I think he won 10 majors in both men's and mixed doubles. Also was on numerous Davis Cup teams.
I believe Riessen also played basketball, and when Clark Graebner joined him at NU I believe they were the number 1 U.S. Davis Cup doubles. I remember them well as I walked on that tennis team and lasted for about a week.! The coach, Riessen's father Claire, was very kind to me during my brief tenure.

Todd Martin played tennis at NU and went on to have a long and fairly successful pro career. According to his Wikipedia page, he was ranked #4 in singles tennis at his peak.

I believe Riessen also played basketball, and when Clark Graebner joined him at NU I believe they were the number 1 U.S. Davis Cup doubles. I remember them well as I walked on that tennis team and lasted for about a week.! The coach, Riessen's father Claire, was very kind to me during my brief tenure.
Mark Loretta had a 14 year MLB career, including 2 All Star game appearances.

Sybil Bauer swam and won gold at the 1924 Olympics. I believe she also dated No Chores during her time in Evanston. More impressive, she set 23 world records during her competitive days.

Katrina Adams did well in tennis. Credit her with 20 WTA doubles titles and rising to become President of the USTA.

GOUNUII

Reactions: No Chores
Mark Loretta had a 14 year MLB career, including 2 All Star game appearances.

Sybil Bauer swam and won gold at the 1924 Olympics. I believe she also dated No Chores during her time in Evanston. More impressive, she set 23 world records during her competitive days.

Katrina Adams did well in tennis. Credit her with 20 WTA doubles titles and rising to become President of the USTA.

GOUNUII
I love learning about these athletes!

I’ve been watching full swing and it’s great to see alums Luke Donald and Matt Fitzpatrick lead Europe to the Ryder Cup last year.

Beings to question who the most accomplished non-revenue athlete NU has produced.

Any others?
Do you mean non-revenue or non-major sport? To me it’s Donald or Girardi with a big edge to Girardi, but Donald if baseball doesn’t count.

Jake Herbert, of course, in addition to his two NCAA championships also won several international amateur and professional medals and championships and came very close to an Olympic medal.

Do you mean non-revenue or non-major sport? To me it’s Donald or Girardi with a big edge to Girardi, but Donald if baseball doesn’t count.

Jake Herbert, of course, in addition to his two NCAA championships also won several international amateur and professional medals and championships and came very close to an Olympic medal.
Non revenue.

Good call on Herbet. I see his suit ads everywhere now.

The way Fitzpatrick is playing, he’s got a lot to do if he wants to be on the Mt Rushmore of NU athletes.

Any others?
Loretta.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT