ADVERTISEMENT

Most complete set of receivers since?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
One thing that struck me about last night’s game was how wide open receivers seemed to get on almost every passing play. Early on, much like the earlier games in the season, Bryant missed some open receivers downfield. Last night, to my eyes, the Minnesota DC had his safeties favoring Johnson and Henning until late in the 4th, when he shifted to a zone that paid attention to Kirtz. Kirtz got single coverage most of the night: you saw the result. On the last drive and in OT, they added safety help on Kirtz and the result was Henning and the tight ends getting open areas to work on. The long and short of it is that the Cats have 3 WR’s who have the ability to get separation against single coverage or find an open area in a cheating zone, as well as two tight ends that can catch the ball if they are ignored. While a championship level team might have the D backs to deal with that ( Duke did a good job, and I suspect PSU and maybe Iowa will, too) the set of receivers should be able to overmatch the secondaries of almost every other team remaining on the schedule. Bryant needs a little protection, which he did not get against Rutgers, but if he gets it, I think the Cats will score a fair number of points with the exceptions of PSU and Iowa.

It has been a long time the Cats have had a complete set of receivers that could pressure a defensive backfield. In earlier times, when teams ran 2 WR steps, Bates, Musso and Drexler were pretty good together, but in my memory 1971 (Pearson, Lash and Craig) was the last time he Cats had the receivers that actually gave them an advantage against most of their competition.

I agree that we're seeing better WR play than we've seen in years. We should also be giving some credit to Armon Binns, the new WR coach.

Binns is doing a nice job, but Kirtz, Johnson and Henning were all 4 stars out of high school; Henning had the misfortune to play on loaded teams and Kirtz has been hurt every year, and so both have not really had the chance to shine until now. Johnson played on an overmatched Vandy team but still had some decent moments. Last year he had the misfortune to play on a team that splintered around Herm Edwards’ problems.

The long and short of it is that the Cats have three 4-star receivers who have experience and as of last night, all were healthy. That is a pretty good toolkit to work from. They should present matchup problems for those teams that do not have elite talent across the defensive backfield as long as the O Line proveds a semblance of pass protection.

Binns is doing a nice job, but Kirtz, Johnson and Henning were all 4 stars out of high school; Henning had the misfortune to play on loaded teams and Kirtz has been hurt every year, and so both have not really had the chance to shine until now. Johnson played on an overmatched Vandy team but still had some decent moments. Last year he had the misfortune to play on a team that splintered around Herm Edwards’ problems.

The long and short of it is that the Cats have three 4-star receivers who have experience and as of last night, all were healthy. That is a pretty good toolkit to work from. They should present matchup problems for those teams that do not have elite talent across the defensive backfield as long as the O Line proveds a semblance of pass protection.
Just think if Covey hadn’t got hurt!

Wait hold on a minute… you’re telling me that good players are… better?

Reactions: eastbaycat99
One thing that struck me about last night’s game was how wide open receivers seemed to get on almost every passing play. Early on, much like the earlier games in the season, Bryant missed some open receivers downfield. Last night, to my eyes, the Minnesota DC had his safeties favoring Johnson and Henning until late in the 4th, when he shifted to a zone that paid attention to Kirtz. Kirtz got single coverage most of the night: you saw the result. On the last drive and in OT, they added safety help on Kirtz and the result was Henning and the tight ends getting open areas to work on. The long and short of it is that the Cats have 3 WR’s who have the ability to get separation against single coverage or find an open area in a cheating zone, as well as two tight ends that can catch the ball if they are ignored. While a championship level team might have the D backs to deal with that ( Duke did a good job, and I suspect PSU and maybe Iowa will, too) the set of receivers should be able to overmatch the secondaries of almost every other team remaining on the schedule. Bryant needs a little protection, which he did not get against Rutgers, but if he gets it, I think the Cats will score a fair number of points with the exceptions of PSU and Iowa.

It has been a long time the Cats have had a complete set of receivers that could pressure a defensive backfield. In earlier times, when teams ran 2 WR steps, Bates, Musso and Drexler were pretty good together, but in my memory 1971 (Pearson, Lash and Craig) was the last time he Cats had the receivers that actually gave them an advantage against most of their competition.
Barry Pearson was outstanding and played in the NFL. Great guy as well.

Kirtz was a 3* 5.6 RR.
I agree though we see how effective the passing game can be with highly rated WRs.

How many high 3 star/4 star recruits has Springer squandered? Give Binns more credit. Not a coincidence that WRs start breaking out once Springer leaves.

We are still missing the jump ball vertical threat, but Kirtz/Johnson/Henning have enough skills to be at least productive.

Bigger thing in the second half was the OL coming together a bit and Bryant’s willingness to step up into the pocket through traffic to allow routes to develop. We haven’t seen that out of an NU QB in quite a while.

How many high 3 star/4 star recruits has Springer squandered? Give Binns more credit. Not a coincidence that WRs start breaking out once Springer leaves.

Binns is fine. That said, Nagel, Lees, McGowan, Skowronek we’re all middling 3 star recruits. The Cats in the Springer years sometimes had one or maybe two guys who could arguably be high 3 or better level. This year, there are 3. It is nice to see guys who actually make a DB backpedal wearing purple.

Reactions: drewjin

If they can stay healthy. A lot of injuries always seem to happen

Bigger thing in the second half was the OL coming together a bit and Bryant’s willingness to step up into the pocket through traffic to allow routes to develop. We haven’t seen that out of an NU QB in quite a while.

Didn't necessarily see a better OL (maybe?), but def loved Bryant's pocket presence - that was the big difference IMO from the first three games.

Didn't necessarily see a better OL (maybe?), but def loved Bryant's pocket presence - that was the big difference IMO from the first three games.

Not trying to say that the OL was suddenly world-beaters against Minny. More “didn’t get their ass kicked quite as badly.”

Binns is fine. That said, Nagel, Lees, McGowan, Skowronek we’re all middling 3 star recruits. The Cats in the Springer years sometimes had one or maybe two guys who could arguably be high 3 or better level. This year, there are 3. It is nice to see guys who actually make a DB backpedal wearing purple.

And it takes more than one legitimate pass catcher to make an offense work (save for a generational talent like Davante Adams).

Not to take away from our receivers, who are playing better than I expected, but also thought their CBs (Jones and Walley) were legit horrible out there.

Not trying to say that the OL was suddenly world-beaters against Minny. More “didn’t get their ass kicked quite as badly.”

That cracks me up. Seems like "didn’t get their ass kicked quite as badly" is a good bar for the season :)

You can say a lot of things about Bryant, but you can't say he's lacking confidence. He thinks he has the arm to make big throws, and sometimes he does. If he were more accurate, we'd be talking about his fantastic long TD throws to Henning in the first half when Henning clearly had his guy beat. They'll get that timing down eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT