ADVERTISEMENT

Move-in Day in Evanston

steelerchic

Jan 17, 2017
Jalen Brown and his roommate, Luke Otto, are officially residents of Evanston - have keys and moving in now, and right across the street from Ryan Field!! Jalen is beyond excited to be there, although slightly disenchanted already with Chicago traffic

I assume the frosh are also arriving today and tomorrow to move in to their dorms . . . the other grad transfer, Trey, doesn't arrive until first of August, I believe

Jalen Brown and his roommate, Luke Otto, are officially residents of Evanston - have keys and moving in now, and right across the street from Ryan Field!! Jalen is beyond excited to be there, although slightly disenchanted already with Chicago traffic

I assume the frosh are also arriving today and tomorrow to move in to their dorms . . . the other grad transfer, Trey, doesn't arrive until first of August, I believe

Sounds great! I seriously think your son is going to love it. If he hasn't done it already, probably ass, tell him just to wander around downtown Evanston and take a look.

The traffic is admittedly worse than Eugene, and maybe phoenix. But no worse than any major city in the country. The good news is that he gets to take advantage of the awesome public transportation system between evanston and Chicago, and can also take advantage of the zipcar deals at the university anytime he wants...

And summer is a great time to take advantage of the lakefront, lincoln park, wrigley field and all the wonderful things Chicago and evanston have to offer.

Welcome. You guys like Pancakes? Try Walker Brothers tomorrow am, about a mile north of his place on Green Bay. Best breakfast spot on the North Shore.

Welcome. You guys like Pancakes? Try Walker Brothers tomorrow am, about a mile north of his place on Green Bay. Best breakfast spot on the North Shore.

I don't know how many of you frequented Sarkis back in the day, but it is still around... Just a mile away from the stadium on Central and gross point (towards the highway).

Loretta sandwiches, omlettes, etc. Breakfast food, but on the other side of the spectrum from Walker Brothers (comparatively a fine dining experience vs. the hole in the wall college experience - and budget). Call it the "working man's breakfast". LOL

Reactions: phatcat

Life is good on Green Bay with corned beef hash, a couple of fried eggs, and an apple pancake a la mode to share.

I don't know how many of you frequented Sarkis back in the day, but it is still around... Just a mile away from the stadium on Central and gross point (towards the highway).

Loretta sandwiches, omlettes, etc. Breakfast food, but on the other side of the spectrum from Walker Brothers (comparatively a fine dining experience vs. the hole in the wall college experience - and budget). Call it the "working man's breakfast". LOL

Still around, but much pricier than it used to be.

A bacon loretta with cheesy hash beats anything Walker Brothers can offer, both in taste and caloric intake.

Been to Walker Bros but I'm not a fan of the baked omelettes - Jalen loved the pancakes . . . I definitely prefer a good dive spot (just as with dive bars) and will check out the other place mentioned when I get in tomorrow (driving thru Missouri now -ugh), as I am staying til Wednesday - have to catch a Cubs game!

Been to Walker Bros but I'm not a fan of the baked omelettes - Jalen loved the pancakes . . . I definitely prefer a good dive spot (just as with dive bars) and will check out the other place mentioned when I get in tomorrow (driving thru Missouri now -ugh), as I am staying til Wednesday - have to catch a Cubs game!

Prairie Joe's on Central west of the stadium is another funky, greasy spoon.

Prairie Joe's on Central west of the stadium is another funky, greasy spoon.

So we tried Sarkis and Prairie Joe's - both very good - I had the Disaster sandwich (armenian sausage) with fried egg on top at Sarkis and wow, good stuff - unique!!! Breakfast sandwich at PJ's was also on point!

Have to give a plug to Dengeos in Skokie also - excellent gyro!!

So we tried Sarkis and Prairie Joe's - both very good - I had the Disaster sandwich (armenian sausage) with fried egg on top at Sarkis and wow, good stuff - unique!!! Breakfast sandwich at PJ's was also on point!

Happy to be of service. Go for the cheesy hash at Sarks next time.

Next time bacon loretta at Sarkis. It's amazing if you like bacon.

The chorizo omelet at Prairie Joes ain't bad.

Dengeo's is decent....and so is Hub's on Dempster. And be sure to get over to Pita Inn (grilled flesh kabobs on rice)....afternoons they have a businessman's special.

The chorizo omelet at Prairie Joes ain't bad.

Dengeo's is decent....and so is Hub's on Dempster. And be sure to get over to Pita Inn (grilled flesh kabobs on rice)....afternoons they have a businessman's special.

Flesh kabobs eh?

I'm not a big fan of the armenian sausage ever since Sarkis passed - they just aren't quite the same as before. But the omlets and the loretta sandwiches are still some of my all time favs. Something about the bread, the juices, the mix of flavors and texture that just works... Hot or cold, dining in or eating a day later...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT