ADVERTISEMENT

My bowl streak is ending this year

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Well, I’m not in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl this year. This is significant because it’s the first Northwestern bowl game in my lifetime that I won’t be attending. I had been 13-for-13.

The reason I’m not going? There’s not a good one, really. It’s not like I have a wedding to go to or am leaving the country. It was a personal decision. Because of a lot of factors, my family wasn’t going to be able to make the trip with me this year. And basically, I decided to stay home with them rather than make the trip to Cali.

Now, I have made a bowl trip solo many times before, meeting up with friends in the destination city. But this time, no one from my usual bowl crew from Chicago was going, either. I think it was the Big Ten Championship game factor. Many people – especially in Chicago – seemed to treat that as their bowl trip this year. After playing Ohio State for the B1G title, taking on Utah on New Year’s Eve was a tough sell, even if it was in San Diego, a pretty nice (and warm, for a change) place to go for the holidays.

Initially, I felt guilty about it. It was a tough call and I agonized over it. But I’m fine with it now. Maybe it’s because my daughter’s in college now and my son will be going in a couple years, but I feel like I need to maximize time spent with the family right now. And really, “the streak” had to end sometime. I expect the Cats to be bowling just about every year, and I won’t be able to make all of them.

So instead of watching from SDCCU Stadium, a lot of the usual bowl crew will be coming over to my house to watch the game on TV on Monday night.

The Cats will have to carry on without me this year. I think they’ll be fine – I’m 3-10, anyway.

Well, I’m not in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl this year. This is significant because it’s the first Northwestern bowl game in my lifetime that I won’t be attending. I had been 13-for-13.

The reason I’m not going? There’s not a good one, really. It’s not like I have a wedding to go to or am leaving the country. It was a personal decision. Because of a lot of factors, my family wasn’t going to be able to make the trip with me this year. And basically, I decided to stay home with them rather than make the trip to Cali.

Now, I have made a bowl trip solo many times before, meeting up with friends in the destination city. But this time, no one from my usual bowl crew from Chicago was going, either. I think it was the Big Ten Championship game factor. Many people – especially in Chicago – seemed to treat that as their bowl trip this year. After playing Ohio State for the B1G title, taking on Utah on New Year’s Eve was a tough sell, even if it was in San Diego, a pretty nice (and warm, for a change) place to go for the holidays.

Initially, I felt guilty about it. It was a tough call and I agonized over it. But I’m fine with it now. Maybe it’s because my daughter’s in college now and my son will be going in a couple years, but I feel like I need to maximize time spent with the family right now. And really, “the streak” had to end sometime. I expect the Cats to be bowling just about every year, and I won’t be able to make all of them.

So instead of watching from SDCCU Stadium, a lot of the usual bowl crew will be coming over to my house to watch the game on TV on Monday night.

The Cats will have to carry on without me this year. I think they’ll be fine – I’m 3-10, anyway.

Certainly understandable, Lou. Most of these bowls are a long way from where I live, and for those of us who didn't have STEM or big business jobs the bills add up. I probably should have made a greater effort to get to Nashville last year.

Safe travels, Hungry Jack. Good weather in store so your drive down should be a piece of cake. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

The only bummer I see is a 50% of rain during the game and some chilly weather (50's - how do people live like that? :>)

Hope to see some of you down there. It should be a great game!

Reactions: rmndcat
I’ve not been able to make it to every bowl, but i do try to when i can. However, i have a job where i work some weekends and it is hard to get time off without a decent amount of notice, so i miss more now than i can get to. Was able to get to the Gator Bowl, which i was ecstatic about, since i wanted to be there when we finally won!

My bowl streak of 13 ends today as well. It was a great run but like you Lou family and cost weighed heavily on my decision. One of my daughters and two of my grandchildren live in Indianapolis so Ohio State became my big event for the year. Treated 6 family and friends to the game and except for the outcome had as good of an experience as could be imagined. The only thing that could have changed my plan was going back to Pasadena. A bar or my couch will be my big decision for the day.

I was hoping to start a streak, so I booked Orlando in September. Its 75 and moony, but neither team showed up. What a dope....

Reactions: Mossreportdos

Bad one to miss

Reactions: rmndcat
That was unreal.

My father finally passed this afternoon, just as I was driving into San Diego. It was beyond time for him to go. I had said goodbye to him the week before.

Sitting there in the cold rain at halftime, I thought of how my father never lamented any situation he faced. He always found a way to be in the moment. I never saw him give in to frustration.

So maybe a bit of that spirit manifest itself in that second half. It was an utter transformation. Glad I stuck around to watch.

That was unreal.

My father finally passed this afternoon, just as I was driving into San Diego. It was beyond time for him to go. I had said goodbye to him the week before.

Sitting there in the cold rain at halftime, I thought of how my father never lamented any situation he faced. He always found a way to be in the moment. I never saw him give in to frustration.

So maybe a bit of that spirit manifest itself in that second half. It was an utter transformation. Glad I stuck around to watch.

Sorry for your loss Hungry. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and reminds me of my dad, who I lost not too long ago. I hope your fond memories of him assuage your grief.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT