ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA votes to approve $2.8B settlement in House, Hubbard and Carter cases

Two of the five power conferences — each also listed as a defendant in the House case — have not yet approved the agreement. The SEC and Pac-12 are scheduled to hold votes of their presidents and chancellors on Thursday, where adoption is expected. The Big 12 and ACC voted Tuesday, and the Big Ten voted Wednesday.

The Pac-12, despite its near dissolution, must vote as originally structured. New members don’t officially join their new league until July.

Even after all parties vote, a finalization of the settlement may not happen for many months. The agreement needs approval from a judge and is available for objections from individual plaintiffs — at least a five-month haul, according to experts.

I wonder if the end impact of this will be somewhat like the legalization of sports betting: providing legal legitimacy to something that happened to some degree historically but, in doing so, substantially transforming the nature of the game by elevating and magnifying the newly legitimized activities. Whether this is net-positive or not depends on your view of the underlying activity.

We’ll we’re back in “the current state of affairs won’t exist in 2-4 years, so let’s see what happens” mode.

This one is harder to predict than the NIL rulings TBH. Much more complicated and more corporate/institutional decisions involved in how it shakes out. I’m… optimistic (?) that this could provide some somewhat more above-board stability to the post NIL world. They’re sort of starting to talk about what I saw as a potential good endpoint of this: using school brokered third party NIL for the players by cutting them into the TV deals to dodge the employment question but create a more ordered and capped revenue sharing system.

This might actually level the playing field if there is some sort of cap.
If it's $21b for the entire athletic program that could kill smaller Olympic sports to divert money to football and hoops

This is the end of college athletics. I might find a D3 team to follow,but I'm not spending money on this new reality for the major conferences.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
If it's $21b for the entire athletic program that could kill smaller Olympic sports to divert money to football and hoops
Don’t you mean to divert less football and basketball revenue to Olympic sports? I’m not saying doing so is right, but let’s remember where the money is made.

Reactions: Katatonic
Don’t you mean to divert less football and basketball revenue to Olympic sports? I’m not saying doing so is right, but let’s remember where the money is made.
Yes, take the money from the lesser sports and give to the cash cows

I do wonder how this is going to change college sports from a fan perspective. I love college football and don't really care much about the pros. I find the idea of paying the players unappealing from my fan perspective. Maybe I will keep my interest in the sport, but if it is going to go the way I think it will, I am going to miss college football. Perhaps I am the outlier, but I don't think I am.

Athletes can no longer be considered student- athletes (if they ever were) and now are coñtracted employees. Get ready for the. Union and collective bargaining.

I do wonder how this is going to change college sports from a fan perspective. I love college football and don't really care much about the pros. I find the idea of paying the players unappealing from my fan perspective. Maybe I will keep my interest in the sport, but if it is going to go the way I think it will, I am going to miss college football. Perhaps I am the outlier, but I don't think I am.
You are not alone. I feel exactly the same way. Money it seems always speaks louder than principles. The days of "college football" are over. It's now essentially a semi-pro league.

My prediction is College football will only increase in popularity in the next two decades.

I'd rather see the players get paid a share (wouldn't even call it a fair share as it will be way less than the 50% of revenue that most professional athletes get) than see coaches and even administrators obtain generational wealth by overseeing supposed amateurs.

And remember, CFB players used to play only 8 games - going to 10 and now 12 with the potential to play a good no more if they play in the conference championship and in the playoffs.

Funny how coaches and admins get hefty bonuses for those extra games, but the players get squat.

My prediction is College football will only increase in popularity in the next two decades.

Better games = more viewership.

Private equity is looking to get their claws into major college sports.

They've ruined enough things, so hope college administrators don't get blinded by the $$, as PE will always find a way to get their blood (as Red Lobster recently found out).

PE already found their way into CBB, backing a new in-season Tournament where each participating school will get a $1 million donation to their NIL fund.

Rutgers will be the B1G rep for the inaugural tournament, but there are some heavy hitters involved as well.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
I’ve seen some recent articles about the potential negative impact of private equity firms making inroads into college athletics. PE’s role in bringing down Red Lobster was pretty devastating. PE needs to be fenced out from having any role in college athletics.

Reactions: Katatonic
^ And it hasn't been just Red Lobster, but a long list of retailers including The Sports Authority, Circuit City, ToysRUs, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT