ADVERTISEMENT

ND Didn't Belong

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Sorry, ND just isn't in the same universe as the other 3 CFP teams.

Georgia should have been in ahead of the Irish. Would have loved to see another Bama-UGA game, and Clemson-Oklahoma. This is a complete mismatch.

ND earned their spot by going unbeaten. Not their fault that the schedule was mediocre this year with Va Tech and USC being down this year. Georgia already LOST to Bama. How is it fair to give them a second chance, especially with two losses.

ND earned their spot by going unbeaten. Not their fault that the schedule was mediocre this year with Va Tech and USC being down this year. Georgia already LOST to Bama. How is it fair to give them a second chance, especially with two losses.
I thought the idea was to have the 4 best teams playing in the playoffs. Yes, UGA lost 2, but is there any doubt that they are better than ND this season? Not to me.

And if ND was actually a full time ACC member, they would have lost to Clemson either in the regular season or the ACC Championship game. So they are a fake undefeated team....;)

While I disagree - ND played as tough a 12-game schedule as Clemson or Bama, and went undefeated - I do agree that ND is playing with a stacked deck.

Proposal: When ND is in the running for a playoff berth (say, 0 or 1 losses, or a top 8 rating), they should play a 13th, neutral site game. Play it in Detroit (which hosts MAC on Thursday) on championship Saturday, and play against the highest rated team not in a championship game. Also, give any undefeated non-P5 team the right to forgo their own championship game in order to play ND.

I thought the idea was to have the 4 best teams playing in the playoffs. Yes, UGA lost 2, but is there any doubt that they are better than ND this season? Not to me.
The idea is to make money. We’re the idiots who care about the results.

Reactions: DaCat

Until they play a real conference schedule, this argument falls flatter than Turk’s flat earth.

It’s over. None of the Emeperors of South Bend wear clothes. They never did. All their titles came by biased votes.

Reactions: willycat
Proposal: When ND is in the running for a playoff berth (say, 0 or 1 losses, or a top 8 rating), they should play a 13th, neutral site game. Play it in Detroit (which hosts MAC on Thursday) on championship Saturday, and play against the highest rated team not in a championship game.
Well, this year that would have been Michigan. ND already beat Michigan. And what incentive would Michigan have to play a game with no upside? Heck, they obviously didn't want to play a bowl game, why play ND in Detroit?

Well, this year that would have been Michigan. ND already beat Michigan. And what incentive would Michigan have to play a game with no upside? Heck, they obviously didn't want to play a bowl game, why play ND in Detroit?
Straight cash, homie.

(Unspoken: I realize there’s no chance it could happen. But wouldn’t it be fun? Also, couldn’t Michigan delude themselves into believing they were playing for a CFP spot?) (Also - It would have been UCF.)

Last edited:
Pretty much what happens when a lesser team plays a contender. They stick around for 2-3 quarters and then adrenaline wears off and the wheels come off. And, BTW, Clemson’s best D lineman did not play. In any case : who cares? One semi-pro team defeats another ( albeit ND does have a number of legit students on the team ).

ND earned the trip, but this about what I expected. It’s pretty much Bama and Clemson, and the rest.
What does everyone expect? 3 of the last 4 years we have the same title game after Bama wins tonight. I mentioned that I thought I could predict the National Champ 80% correctly for the next 10 years if you give me 6 teams and it might be 100%.

Reactions: NUCat320
What does everyone expect? 3 of the last 4 years we have the same title game after Bama wins tonight. I mentioned that I thought I could predict the National Champ 80% correctly for the next 10 years if you give me 6 teams and it might be 100%.

You are right but I hope that changes because it is not good for the sport. We have to find a way to create a better competitive balance in college football.

Reactions: catfans5

And if ND was actually a full time ACC member, they would have lost to Clemson either in the regular season or the ACC Championship game. So they are a fake undefeated team....;)

Well, here I go again. Institute the damn eight-team playoff with the P5 champions and three at-large. Would have included Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Ohio State, Oklahoma and probably Notre Dame, Georgia and Michigan (unless you want to reserve a Group of 5 slot). Notre Dame might not be better than Georgia, but I'm not sure they're any better than Ohio State or Washington, either. Seed teams according to ranking for the first round, and then reseed for the semis.

Reactions: NJCat
You are right but I hope that changes because it is not good for the sport. We have to find a way to create a better competitive balance in college football.
One thing I'd like to see is non-bowl teams getting at least half as many extra practices as bowl teams. That's one of the ways the comfortable get more comfortable.

Reactions: corbi296
One thing I'd like to see is non-bowl teams getting at least half as many extra practices as bowl teams. That's one of the ways the comfortable get more comfortable.
Well, something like 80 teams go to a bowl. The last 50 teams aren't getting much better with an additional 7 practices......

Reactions: DaCat
Dabo and Saban need to be worse football coaches.

Well, something like 80 teams go to a bowl. The last 50 teams aren't getting much better with an additional 7 practices......
At least half as many practices. All bowl teams use some of the extra practices for other than strictly bowl prep. No reason to make it harder for non-bowl teams to crawl out of the hole.

I'm willing to accept definitionally that any team that goes undefeated is a "better team" than one that loses a game, especially if they are in the Power 5. Too much room for subjective interpretation otherwise and heck, the last thing I want to see is two SEC teams in the playoffs.

One of things is not like one of these things just doesn't belong

Well, here I go again. Institute the damn eight-team playoff with the P5 champions and three at-large. Would have included Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Ohio State, Oklahoma and probably Notre Dame, Georgia and Michigan (unless you want to reserve a Group of 5 slot). Notre Dame might not be better than Georgia, but I'm not sure they're any better than Ohio State or Washington, either. Seed teams according to ranking for the first round, and then reseed for the semis.
Uh, I don't think this night is one to argue for an 8-team playoff.

I actually think it is. Doubling the field would allow high quality teams like Georgia and OSU to play despite having one loss in conference.

Reactions: NJCat

Actually, I think it's the perfect night to argue for it. You don't think there are any other teams out there that could have given us better games than what we've seen so far? We'll see if Oklahoma shows some fight and comes back, but I have no reason at this moment to think they're better than Ohio State, Georgia or even Washington. Same goes for Notre Dame.

Many semifinal blowouts so far in the "playoffs" (OSU and MSU were two of the victims) so how is this an advertisement for more playoff participants again? The field doesn't seem all that deep right now (Clemson,Bama,Georgia and the rest??? You want to watch that? I don't, that's why I'm on the computer right now. You guys don't seem riveted to your TV screen either)

Ohio State? A team cannot get killed by Purdue - a team that got embarrassed in its bowl - and go to the playoffs. Sorry. They don’t belong.

Ohio State? A team cannot get killed by Purdue - a team that got embarrassed in its bowl - and go to the playoffs. Sorry. They don’t belong.
OSU beats ND by 14 on a neutral field. NU played both and my eyes say OSU is better. Sorry ECat.

So put in the team that gives up 56 to WVU and is 130th in red zone defense, drops one to a Texas team that Maryland has beaten twice in a row, and goes overtime to beat Army? I'll take Ohio State all day.

Many semifinal blowouts so far in the "playoffs" (OSU and MSU were two of the victims) so how is this an advertisement for more playoff participants again? The field doesn't seem all that deep right now (Clemson,Bama,Georgia and the rest??? You want to watch that? I don't, that's why I'm on the computer right now. You guys don't seem riveted to your TV screen either)

At least I'm watching a blowout in a game where people are actually playing for something rather than watching Army's 70-14 thumping of Houston.

Reactions: Fitz51
I think the logic is obvious. If expanding the field allows the inclusion of higher quality teams than the unbeatens ranked at 3 and 4 (higher quality teams that had only a single loss against quality competition), then the overall competitiveness of the playoff improves.

How I hate this "best 4 teams" narrative. Do you mean "the best four teams as of December 3rd, notwithstanding what they did in October or November"?

The whole season counts. Or it should, until the playoffs are expanded to 16 (mark my words). Then, you will have a whole gunnysack of November games like we played against Ill-noise.

No thanks. just force ND to join a conference, play 12 conference games where possible, have actual conference champs, and let them play for the NC, regardless of the Conf champ W-L. Or not. Or Just vote like before. Who cares? In the end, 118 teams won't be involved.

It's a bunch of 19 year olds. Nobody is going to get syphilis is the "true national champion" isn't crowned. This pursuit of "every call right" and "true championship" is killing the golden goose.

Reactions: StreamCat

And the tedious, convoluted 8 team playoff argument comes out in 3...2...1... As if somehow this year's playoff results won't reveal the best team in college football.

And the tedious, convoluted 8 team playoff argument comes out in 3...2...1... As if somehow this year's playoff results won't reveal the best team in college football.
I’d be in favor of an 8 team playoff as long as it came with a full consolation bracket and third place game so that we can definitively determine by MLK day (Monday night! Football night!) who the best, second-best, third-best, fourth-best, fifth-best, sixth-best, seventh-best, and eighth-best* teams are, according to how they played over three winter weekends roughly four months after the start of the season. Only in that scenario will I be satisfied. Because only in that scenario will I know for certain if Ohio State was better than Oklahoma - based on the results of their probable fifth place game. Also, the season should end the Saturday before the Super Bowl with the eighth place team playing the G5 champ to determine if the G5 champ *truly belonged.*

All of this is the only way college football will be satisfying. Until we try it, and it’s apparent that only 16 teams will be enough.

Perhaps the yearlong tournament should *start* on February signing day

*only among Power Five teams, because UCF is an impostor, just like Boise and TCU before them.

What we have now are 10 or so semi-professional football teams posing as college teams, and everyone else. Do any of those 10 or so teams give a rat’s butt about academics, or are they just a minor league for the NFL? What does a bona fide academic institution like Northwestern gain (besides sweet cash) by being cannon fodder for the Alabamas and Oklahomas?
Let the NFL set up minor league teams, like baseball, for 18 year olds who want to play professional football and not ‘play school’; and let the colleges play at an Ivy League or even D III level and do what colleges are supposed to do, which is to educate young men who also like to play football.
And yeah, I know this will happen when pigs fly....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT