ADVERTISEMENT

ND Didn't Belong

Uh, I don't think this night is one to argue for an 8-team playoff.

I guess you can see it that way but the flip side of the coin is that perhaps this is exactly the time to argue for a 8 team playoff. Wouldn't you conclude from last night that Georgia would have given Clemson a good game and was deserving at another shot at Alabama? Aren't you at all curious to finally answer the question about Central Florida? Do they belong on this stage?

Reactions: pawildcat
And the tedious, convoluted 8 team playoff argument comes out in 3...2...1... As if somehow this year's playoff results won't reveal the best team in college football.
I hate the bitching and whining being done by Georgia and OSU players. Here is some advice, if you don’t like not playing in the final four, don’t lose 2 games or lose by 30 to Purdue. You had your chance.

I hate the bitching and whining being done by Georgia and OSU players. Here is some advice, if you don’t like not playing in the final four, don’t lose 2 games or lose by 30 to Purdue. You had your chance.

Amen.

I’d be in favor of an 8 team playoff as long as it came with a full consolation bracket and third place game so that we can definitively determine by MLK day (Monday night! Football night!) who the best, second-best, third-best, fourth-best, fifth-best, sixth-best, seventh-best, and eighth-best* teams are, according to how they played over three winter weekends roughly four months after the start of the season. Only in that scenario will I be satisfied. Because only in that scenario will I know for certain if Ohio State was better than Oklahoma - based on the results of their probable fifth place game. Also, the season should end the Saturday before the Super Bowl with the eighth place team playing the G5 champ to determine if the G5 champ *truly belonged.*

All of this is the only way college football will be satisfying. Until we try it, and it’s apparent that only 16 teams will be enough.

Perhaps the yearlong tournament should *start* on February signing day

*only among Power Five teams, because UCF is an impostor, just like Boise and TCU before them.

Spot on brother! What better way to honor Dr. King's legacy than nailing down 3 through 8 for the American people! Wherever you are, your corporate mind is being wasted. I think Big Jim Delaney just connected you on LinkedIn tm.

Reactions: NUCat320
Well, here I go again. Institute the damn eight-team playoff with the P5 champions and three at-large. Would have included Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Ohio State, Oklahoma and probably Notre Dame, Georgia and Michigan (unless you want to reserve a Group of 5 slot). Notre Dame might not be better than Georgia, but I'm not sure they're any better than Ohio State or Washington, either. Seed teams according to ranking for the first round, and then reseed for the semis.
No, the season is already too long. How about requiring all schools to play the same amount of games? let the computers rate strength of schedule and the have a vote for #1 and #2.

How I hate this "best 4 teams" narrative. Do you mean "the best four teams as of December 3rd, notwithstanding what they did in October or November"?

The whole season counts. Or it should, until the playoffs are expanded to 16 (mark my words). Then, you will have a whole gunnysack of November games like we played against Ill-noise.

No thanks. just force ND to join a conference, play 12 conference games where possible, have actual conference champs, and let them play for the NC, regardless of the Conf champ W-L. Or not. Or Just vote like before. Who cares? In the end, 118 teams won't be involved.

It's a bunch of 19 year olds. Nobody is going to get syphilis is the "true national champion" isn't crowned. This pursuit of "every call right" and "true championship" is killing the golden goose.
Amen Amen Amen!

So put in the team that gives up 56 to WVU and is 130th in red zone defense, drops one to a Texas team that Maryland has beaten twice in a row, and goes overtime to beat Army? I'll take Ohio State all day.
Purdue!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT