ADVERTISEMENT

Nebby OL

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
Doing their best to get Tanner Lee killed so far today, against Northern Illinois no less. If it is difficult to recruit and develop OL in the land of beef, perhaps it might just be a difficult position to solve at the college level? "Our Ol blows", seems to be the second most popular complaint on fan message boards, right behind "fire the coach". Perhaps, just perhaps, it is more complicated than our message board coaches would lead us to believe?

As an aside, the OL play of #22 USF was also far from stellar last night, but they still managed to put nearly 700 yards on Illinois (agreed, bad example, but they do have at least one stud on the DL that I noticed) due to a variety of factors:

1) On most passes, the ball left the QBs hands before any rush could get to the QB
2) Extremely mobile QB who was a strong rush threat
3) Strong presnap reads-- a ton of times, the QB threw right in the direction of where he knew the rush was coming -- by design.

Now, the USF QB is a truly special dual threat QB, but ours has legs as well--hope to perhaps see them tonight!

Last edited:
Doing their best to get Tanner Lee killed so far today, against Northern Illinois no less. If it is difficult to recruit and develop OL in the land of beef, perhaps it might just be a difficult position to solve at the college level? "Our Ol blows", seems to be the second most popular complaint on fan message boards, right behind "fire the coach"...

Except... our O Line does blow and has blown for a half decade. If UNL has a shit O line it's more like the exception, not the rule. Without looking I'm guessing they're young, injured, etc.

Except... our O Line does blow and has blown for a half decade. If UNL has a shit O line it's more like the exception, not the rule. Without looking I'm guessing they're young, injured, etc.
You would be incorrect. They have 4 returning OL with starting experience (actually 5, but one is injured). Was expected to be a position of strength coming into the season.

You would be incorrect. They have 4 returning OL with starting experience (actually 5, but one is injured). Was expected to be a position of strength coming into the season.

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to guess this trend won't continue for Nebby

I don't know the Xs and Os of football very well. What I do know is the NU has had the same coach, recruited the same type of O Linemen, and has had the same results for a large enough sample size where I can say, with confidence, that SOMETHING has to change. I don't know what form that change comes in, that is but something different has to happen.

Then again, I'm a message board idiot and maybe they have made major changes I'm just not aware of. I just haven't seen any change in results on the field to safely assume they are

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to guess this trend won't continue for Nebby

I don't know the Xs and Os of football very well. What I do know is the NU has had the same coach, recruited the same type of O Linemen, and has had the same results for a large enough sample size where I can say, with confidence, that SOMETHING has to change. I don't know what form that change comes in, that is but something different has to happen.

Then again, I'm a message board idiot and maybe they have made major changes I'm just not aware of. I just haven't seen any change in results on the field to safely assume they are

Very few college football teams are good at all position groups, and OL in particular is a trouble spot for many, many teams. The good teams somehow figure out where they are weak and offset these deficiencies.

Very few college football teams are goo at all position groups. The good teams somehow figure out where they are weak and offset these deficiencies.

Totally understand and agree with that. But this has gone on for years now, and isn't showing signs of getting better. I'm sure they'll have those random games a la Pitt last year where they look good, but as a whole nothing tells me that it's going to be better in the years beyond this one

Very few college football teams are good at all position groups, and OL in particular is a trouble spot for many, many teams. The good teams somehow figure out where they are weak and offset these deficiencies.
Yeah right. Michigan's OL looks bad today against Air Force. I'm sure Harbaugh is content to acknowledge that that group's weakness needs to be accepted and overcome through better play by other units on the field.

Your defeatist attitude is laughable. Accept mediocrity at certain position groups and hope for victory!

Good teams with poor OL's don't become good teams.

Reactions: FitzFan
Good teams with poor OL's don't become good teams.
Fair enough, but does that mean that we have not had any good teams since Cushing was hired? A number of posters here have stated that we have had a "pretty terrible" OL since 2009.

Fair enough, but does that mean that we have not had any good teams since Cushing was hired? A number of posters here have stated that we have had a "pretty terrible" OL since 2009.
Our OL has been at best average as a unit since 2009. It has not been dominant (or even consistently above average) during that time period. There are a number of former players and parents of former players who have been pretty critical of Cushing here on this message board. They're a lot closer to the program than you or I, and I give those opinions much deference.

Doing their best to get Tanner Lee killed so far today, against Northern Illinois no less. If it is difficult to recruit and develop OL in the land of beef, perhaps it might just be a difficult position to solve at the college level? "Our Ol blows", seems to be the second most popular complaint on fan message boards, right behind "fire the coach". Perhaps, just perhaps, it is more complicated than our message board coaches would lead us to believe?

As an aside, the OL play of #22 USF was also far from stellar last night, but they still managed to put nearly 700 yards on Illinois (agreed, bad example, but they do have at least one stud on the DL that I noticed) due to a variety of factors:

1) On most passes, the ball left the QBs hands before any rush could get to the QB
2) Extremely mobile QB who was a strong rush threat
3) Strong presnap reads-- a ton of times, the QB threw right in the direction of where he knew the rush was coming -- by design.

Now, the USF QB is a truly special dual threat QB, but ours has legs as well--hope to perhaps see them tonight!

All you're saying is that when your OL sucks, you lose. We know that.

All you're saying is that when your OL sucks, you lose. We know that.
I would say that if you have a truly great OL, and an average QB and RB, you will have a pretty good offense. It all starts on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT