ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball Coach

I wasn’t expecting that either. I hope some of the staff is retained.

I like this hire even though I have no clue about Foster's credentials. This tells me that our new AD is not afraid to make a strong move, not an easy move like retaining an interim coach who did a fine job. It is evidence that he will not be afraid to pull the plug on Collins after this year and find a good replacement.

So it seems like people’s reaction is they’re pleased we hired a guy with previous HC success, and that we haven’t usually been able or willing to pull in such a candidate in the past?

Wake is a big step up for him. Great fan support, better weather, easier academics. No brainer.
Not gonna lie, I love NU, but going to Wake over NU for baseball is a slam dunk, like going from the MAC to NU for football.

The Sullivan transfer followed a couple of previous high profile transfers back in December. Won’t be easy for the new coach. I think he’ll get there though. Tough to win at Army.

Is that still accurate? Because that tweet preceded the season and both Calarco and Doherty played this season. That’d be strange to play an entire season while in the portal.

So it seems like people’s reaction is they’re pleased we hired a guy with previous HC success, and that we haven’t usually been able or willing to pull in such a candidate in the past?
No we hired a guy with multiple NCAA tourneys under his belt. In the past we had the same coach for close to four decades and he had maybe a handful of winning seasons. Spence was a great hire and I think Josh Reynolds was doing a really good job, but had to grow quickly because of Spence's unexpected departure. This guy is proven which should be good for the program.

No we hired a guy with multiple NCAA tourneys under his belt. In the past we had the same coach for close to four decades and he had maybe a handful of winning seasons. Spence was a great hire and I think Josh Reynolds was doing a really good job, but had to grow quickly because of Spence's unexpected departure. This guy is proven which should be good for the program.

Appreciate your insight. Sounds like he has a strong pitching background. Assuming he’ll bring some assistants from West Point. Interested to see how he makes up his staff.

Calarco transferring to Ole Miss. Another big loss but hard to blame him.

We also lost Ethan O’Donnell (who made the All Big 10 Second Team as a sophomore) to UVA. So I think our clear three best players are gone. That’s a very tough blow to a program without a history of success but finally showing some promise. The new coach has quite a challenge in front of him.

It seems like the Big Ten is going to have MAC football style struggles in the portal era. Guys who get opportunities to move up in the world to southern baseball are going to do so. Easier for the southern schools to scout guys who have played at a high level in the Big Ten than try to find them and pull them out of northern high schools.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Cold weather schools will always be at a disadvantage in accumulating/retaining talent in baseball. I was surprised by ND’s success this year as they were terrible during my tenure. UVA has a very strong program with recent Omaha trips. Their stadium is first class, funded by author John Grisham

Baseball has always been transfer-wacky, too. There’s incentive to play at JuCo, because you can be drafted after each of your first two years, and hardly any prospect plays all four years.

I recall that Ian Kinsler, who had a real nice career, started at a JuCo, then played one season each at Arizona (or ASU, they’re the same) and Mizzou.

I recall that Ian Kinsler, who had a real nice career, started at a JuCo, then played one season each at Arizona (or ASU, they’re the same) and Mizzou.
You were being facetious but having resided in both Arizona and Texas, I can assure that UA & ASU regard themselves as being as different from each other as UT & TAMU! (But then, there are people who can't tell Northwestern from Northeastern either.)

Reactions: NUCat320
You were being facetious but having resided in both Arizona and Texas, I can assure that UA & ASU regard themselves as being as different from each other as UT & TAMU! (But then, there are people who can't tell Northwestern from Northeastern either.)
Arizona is a respectable school with some major research memberships, etc.

ASU is a massive pool party scene that doesn’t even pretend to masquerade as an academic institution.

Why I didn’t accept the late honors scholarship offer to ASU and just figure the rest out via grad school, I’ll never know.

Arizona is a respectable school with some major research memberships, etc.

ASU is a massive pool party scene that doesn’t even pretend to masquerade as an academic institution.

Why I didn’t accept the late honors scholarship offer to ASU and just figure the rest out via grad school, I’ll never know.
When my AP English teacher said “Ultimatey, it doesn’t really matter where you go to college. You can get a great education just about anywhere”, heads exploded throughout the North Shore.

He was basically right, but holy crap we nailed those personal statements.

When my AP English teacher said “Ultimatey, it doesn’t really matter where you go to college. You can get a great education just about anywhere”, heads exploded throughout the North Shore.

He was basically right, but holy crap we nailed those personal statements.
I would say it definitely makes a difference both in education (some difference) and in doors opening and network (more difference), but it's very unclear to me if that's worth the money. My sense is that higher end, affordable flagship state schools (ie most Big Ten Schools) are the best dollar value, but I'm not sure. Of course, if you end up with a good chunk of need scholarship at NU that makes the cost comparable to a lot of flagship state schools, then it's a slam dunk.

Lots of new faces…8 transfers and 7 frosh. Curious to see how Foster does in his first year at the helm. Will be be the guy to get NU to the CWS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT