ADVERTISEMENT

New Interview with Gary Anderson

We have at least four more verbals on our list that won't get past admissions , new staff is scampering all over the place trying to find last minute kids who can get in.
Additionally, all the kids Beatty recruited are following him to Virginia.

They recently offered four Instate kids who Gary Andersen didn't want but are the type we usually win with, two are NI verbals.

This post was edited on 1/21 9:50 PM by LeftyLarry

As was pointed out before when this came up...something is fishy with the reporting because the NCAA requires 16 core courses, so it's impossible for OSU and MSU to have fewer than that.

Wisconsin demands seventeen.

We lost arguably our best OL verbal this week over academics and his dad said he was told if he did well this past term he'd qualify and he received straight "a" s and didn't get accepted, huge loss, kid was 6'7 330 and former Badger Jon Moffit's cousin, it's nuts that he can get into Michigan and not Wisconsin.

That's fine, but that's 1 more course over the span of 4 years in high school....if that requirement is more than you can handle, I don't know what to say.

1) Sounds like a case of terrible communication between Alvarez and Andersen.

2) Couldnt disagree more with Alvarez basically putting UW's football admissions on the same level as NU's. UW's is a quantitative requirement, not qualitative. Just no.

Nobody has ever said UW's requirements are as stringent as NW's he was saying the models are similar and problems similar.

Frankly, UW's requirements shouldn't be tougher than Michigan's , that's a better comp than Smaller, private, almost IVY types like Stanford and NW.

Originally posted by LeftyLarry:
Nobody has ever said UW's requirements are as stringent as NW's he was saying the models are similar and problems similar. The model isn't similar. At all. Not even close.

Frankly, UW's requirements shouldn't be tougher than Michigan's , that's a better comp than Smaller, private, almost IVY types like Stanford and NW. OK? Not sure what you want me to tell you. Arbitrarily requiring 17 core courses is a pretty strange requirement, but not exactly insurmountable for most decent high school students.

won't get past admissions because of one extra core course? Tell the kid to take a local juco core course at night and get it done. Jeez

I don't think it's just the 17 classes thing, there is a qualitative aspect too presumably. Otherwise there wouldn't have been all the communication problems that there were if it was just "get to 17 classes". Sure maybe in 1 or 2 cases it was that a class wasn't accepted for a credit, but it seems like more often there were other things that caused miscommunications.

Not saying UW's admissions standards are similar to NU's (obviously) but I don't think it's just the number that was at issue here. And I fail to see why there's a need to berate UW for having admissions standards and sticking to them. Though failing to communicate properly with kids as to what they need to do seems unfortunate. If it's the top athletes as well as the middling ones though, at least it's not a Stanford situation.

It probably isn't to just getting 17 classes but 17 specific classes. The 17th is a core class for UW that no one else requires. That would likely mean a class that a lot of people would not have taken. What is that 17th class?

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
It probably isn't to just getting 17 classes but 17 specific classes. The 17th is a core class for UW that no one else requires. That would likely mean a class that a lot of people would not have taken. What is that 17th class?
Does anyone have evidence for this? How many core courses do we require? Stanford? Is everybody else in the B1G at 16?

Again, these news stories are fishy because they are reporting schools only requiring 14 core courses (MSU), when the NCAA minimum is 16. Thus, the article, or sourcing, is wrong.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
I believe it's usually foreign language or math.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT