ADVERTISEMENT

New MSU Coach Jonathan Smith

So painful for Oregon St fans. First their conference abandoned them and now their coach (who is an an alumnus and one of their best QBs ever) is abandoning them. It’d be like prime Fitz leaving NU to go to Missouri or a program like that.

Just another point of evidence in how important conference affiliation is...

As long as we have a seat at the big boys table, we can compete like one. To have a guy with such deep ties to the Oregon State program walk like that..., sucks but it's a reality of the situation with Oregon State basically facing relegation.

So painful for Oregon St fans. First their conference abandoned them and now their coach (who is an an alumnus and one of their best QBs ever) is abandoning them. It’d be like prime Fitz leaving NU to go to Missouri or a program like that.
I would put MSU a step or two above Missouri. They have won multiple Big Ten Championships in my recent memory and went to the CFP. It is harder than winning at a place like UM or OSU, but it can be done.

I would put MSU a step or two above Missouri. They have won multiple Big Ten Championships in my recent memory and went to the CFP. It is harder than winning at a place like UM or OSU, but it can be done.
MSU has been to the CFP? I don't remember that.

His success depends as much on whether Harbaugh leaves/whether Michigan can keep it going if Harbaugh leaves. MSU has a chance when Michigan is down. It has no chance when Michigan is what they are right now.

His success depends as much on whether Harbaugh leaves/whether Michigan can keep it going if Harbaugh leaves. MSU has a chance when Michigan is down. It has no chance when Michigan is what they are right now.
Isn't this true for basically anyone in the Big Ten? The only other program to challenge UM right now is OSU, and you see how that has gone the last three years.

As far as recruiting goes, I feel like they are not battling for the same in-state players the way they used to. Everyone seems to be recruiting on the national level now, but UM more than MSU.

Just another point of evidence in how important conference affiliation is...

As long as we have a seat at the big boys table, we can compete like one. To have a guy with such deep ties to the Oregon State program walk like that..., sucks but it's a reality of the situation with Oregon State basically facing relegation.
I can only hope this works out as well as RichRod abandoning old alma mater (West Virginia) for Michigan did.

Oregon State lost its rival and its coach to a TV-and-streaming deal. At least they don’t have to subscribe to Peacock.

MSU is totally irrelevant as it stands, probably would have been at the bottom of the B1G West this season. Smith did a good job of battling through that same situation in Corvallis.

I can only hope this works out as well as RichRod abandoning old alma mater (West Virginia) for Michigan did.

Oregon State lost its rival and its coach to a TV-and-streaming deal. At least they don’t have to subscribe to Peacock.

MSU is totally irrelevant as it stands, probably would have been at the bottom of the B1G West this season. Smith did a good job of battling through that same situation in Corvallis.
Michigan State is much more relevant than Oregon State,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT