ADVERTISEMENT

New Offer

Seems like there are lot of offers out there. Would be nice if someone could put together a recap. Too bad gcg doesn't follow basketball recruiting.

Seems like there are lot of offers out there. Would be nice if someone could put together a recap. Too bad gcg doesn't follow basketball recruiting.

Ha. I literally have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to basketball recruiting.

You can't want kids to come to your school for the education and then get mad when they actually do

....so I'm off the hook now and no longer have to buy all the posters here a bottle of good Irish whiskey

You can't want kids to come to your school for the education and then get mad when they actually do
The only person that wanted Vassar to come for the education was his mother. The rest of purple nation wanted him to play ball !

Except, he was accepted to NU as basketball player. The other 12 guys on the team play on a basketball schlorship and he has a BB schlorship, only he does nothing for it. To bad but I guess he enjoys "working" the ststem.

Except, he was accepted to NU as basketball player. The other 12 guys on the team play on a basketball schlorship and he has a BB schlorship, only he does nothing for it. To bad but I guess he enjoys "working" the ststem.

Move on. Vassar still being on scholarship is no different from a Pat Towne (O'Neil recruit) or JM Melchoir (Carmody recruit) sitting at the end of the bench--or a Gary Lee (Carmody recruit) who is forever academically ineligible--on scholarship but not playing. Some recruits just don't work out. It's not a condemnation of Vassar or Collins. These things happen. I hope Vassar graduates and that we put the scholarship to better use when it is available. All things considered, we have a great group of guys (scholarship and walk-ons) on the team now.

Move on. Vassar still being on scholarship is no different from a Pat Towne (O'Neil recruit) or JM Melchoir (Carmody recruit) sitting at the end of the bench--or a Gary Lee (Carmody recruit) who is forever academically ineligible--on scholarship but not playing. Some recruits just don't work out. It's not a condemnation of Vassar or Collins. These things happen. I hope Vassar graduates and that we put the scholarship to better use when it is available. All things considered, we have a great group of guys (scholarship and walk-ons) on the team now.
At least they were practice bodies. Just feel that when you are paying $250-300k for something you should get something for your money. Doesn't have to be what you expected but it should be something.

At least they were practice bodies. Just feel that when you are paying $250-300k for something you should get something for your money. Doesn't have to be what you expected but it should be something.

Look at it from another point of view. The money is spent. The scholarship is gone. Do you prefer to have cancer in the locker room from someone who won't play anyway? Or do you just move forward with your healthy group of 12 scholarship players plus a couple of nice walk-ons? Like I said, some recruits don't work out. Move on. In the unlikely case that the team momentarily needs to find a 10th guy for scrimmages, we do have former pro players as assistant coaches. Let the Vassar thing go. It could be worse. A lot worse. Look at Illinois or Minnesota. Our guy decided to pursue a degree without playing basketball. Players at other schools cannot participate because they are criminals or have "violated team rules."

He didn't coerce an offer, he's not stealing anything. If he was gonna contribute it's likely he would still be on the team. Is depriving you of watching him in the layup line so offensive? Additionally, do we know he left on his own? Nope. Making this some sort of character flaw is unfair. It would be dumb of him not to take this offer. Sorry, but his education is actually more about himself than us.

Reactions: NJCat
He didn't coerce an offer, he's not stealing anything. If he was gonna contribute it's likely he would still be on the team. Is depriving you of watching him in the layup line so offensive? Additionally, do we know he left on his own? Nope. Making this some sort of character flaw is unfair. It would be dumb of him not to take this offer. Sorry, but his education is actually more about himself than us.

My hope and wish is that the prospects NU is now looking to recruit and their families have the same, full understanding of the value of an NU education and degree as the subject of your post.

Look at it from another point of view. The money is spent. The scholarshpracticip is gone. Do you prefer to have cancer in the locker room from someone who won't play anyway? Or do you just move forward with your healthy group of 12 scholarship players plus a couple of nice walk-ons? Like I said, some recruits don't work out. Move on. In the unlikely case that the team momentarily needs to find a 10th guy for scrimmages, we do have former pro players as assistant coaches. Let the Vassar thing go. It could be worse. A lot worse. Look at Illinois or Minnesota. Our guy decided to pursue a degree without playing basketball. Players at other schools cannot participate because they are criminals or have "violated team rules."
Sorry but you are comparing apples to oranges. As someone posted those bench guys help the team during practices, while Vassar chooses to not. hate to say it but he sure comes off as spoiled, selfish person.

We are being deprived of Midnight Madness highlights also.

(Note: Good for Johnnie.)

Sorry but you are comparing apples to oranges. As someone posted those bench guys help the team during practices, while Vassar chooses to not. hate to say it but he sure comes off as spoiled, selfish person.

How do you know he chooses not to? Perhaps Collins told him he's not welcome? So much speculation about this kid's motives and character, so little real information. Why don't we just assume the best instead? He wasn't going to contribute on the floor, Collins kept his commitment to keep him on scholarship but chose not to keep him on the roster, the young man is getting a great education, and the NU program continues to move forward because hardly any team has a full roster of 13 healthy, eligible, contributing athletes at any given time.

How do you know he chooses not to? Perhaps Collins told him he's not welcome? So much speculation about this kid's motives and character, so little real information. Why don't we just assume the best instead? He wasn't going to contribute on the floor, Collins kept his commitment to keep him on scholarship but chose not to keep him on the roster, the young man is getting a great education, and the NU program continues to move forward because hardly any team has a full roster of 13 healthy, eligible, contributing athletes at any given time.
But they do have 13 eligible schlorship players on their roster, right? I highly doubt that Collins told him that he's not welcome and you don't honestly think that's true, do you. It's been reported that he announced that he was transferring from NU because just maybe he realized that he would the 13th most used player and then he found that no other program wanted his services, thus he figured he would work the system and screw his former teammates and coaches along the way.

But they do have 13 eligible schlorship players on their roster, right? I highly doubt that Collins told him that he's not welcome and you don't honestly think that's true, do you. It's been reported that he announced that he was transferring from NU because just maybe he realized that he would the 13th most used player and then he found that no other program wanted his services, thus he figured he would work the system and screw his former teammates and coaches along the way.
You have s very cynical approach to life willy. A very wise friend of mine once advised me to avoid negative people, they just bring you down. Admittedly I've had my negative moments on this board, and I can honestly say when I look back on my outbursts, I almost always regret them. In any event you can choose to believe Vasser is intentionally "screwing his teammates," but I chose not to. I also choose to sign off on this debate. It's truly counterproductive.

You have s very cynical approach to life willy. A very wise friend of mine once advised me to avoid negative people, they just bring you down. Admittedly I've had my negative moments on this board, and I can honestly say when I look back on my outbursts, I almost always regret them. In any event you can choose to believe Vasser is intentionally "screwing his teammates," but I chose not to. I also choose to sign off on this debate. It's truly counterproductive.
I would like this a million times if I could.

It seems unlikely that anybody would stay somewhere for three of the best years of his life just to 'screw' a basketball coach (by reducing his available scholarship count by 7.7%) and former teammates.

Oh, OK.

Reactions: Inovacat
Maybe he just realized that an education at NU was worth more than transferring. Nobody was intentionally screwed. He may have seen his future was brighter where he is.

Last edited:
Maybe he just realized that an education at NU was worth more than transferring. Nobody was intentionally screwed. He may have seen his future was brighter where was.

He will tell his side of the story "soon", he told me. He didn't go into detail but he implied that this site's negative posts, which I shared with him, are not accurate whatsoever. However, he would not confirm the rumor believed by saner minds, either, which was that he wanted to leave, Collins said fine, then Johnnie wanted back and Collins said no, hoping Johnnie would find somewhere to go. If you don't have somewhere else to go or don't like the options out there, there's no reason to leave NU, especially when he wanted to return and was told not to bother. Again, he did NOT confirm this version of events, but he affirmed that he has a story to tell and he will tell it eventually.

My feeling is that his account will not be kind to NU athletics or the story would not be shrouded in such mystery. It might not be an issue with Coach or a fellow player, either. We'll just have to wait.

One thing is for sure, the guy comes off as very intelligent and thoughtful, not like many of the "jocks" that I have met during my career. Impressed me.

My chum Virginia, we can only hope that it really is as simple as a player not meshing with the coaches or with his teammates. Anything else, and it could be extremely damaging, which could explain why neither the player nor anybody associated with NU will go on the record with specifics.

When you think back to Lieberman's confidentiality agreement and Mike Turner's sudden and silent departure, maybe there's a lot more to all of this,or maybe this program is very tight lipped and secretive about its inner workings. Perhaps this is what Coach means when he says he's learned some things from Fitz. One of those things is definitely using the shield of a private institution. We would have a lot of answers if we were a state school beholden to freedom of information laws.

My chum Virginia, we can only hope that it really is as simple as a player not meshing with the coaches or with his teammates. Anything else, and it could be extremely damaging, which could explain why neither the player nor anybody associated with NU will go on the record with specifics.

When you think back to Lieberman's confidentiality agreement and Mike Turner's sudden and silent departure, maybe there's a lot more to all of this,or maybe this program is very tight lipped and secretive about its inner workings. Perhaps this is what Coach means when he says he's learned some things from Fitz. One of those things is definitely using the shield of a private institution. We would have a lot of answers if we were a state school beholden to freedom of information laws.

I know you desperately want this to be something big. It won't be...just like the Carmody/Coble situation...

I know you desperately want this to be something big. It won't be...just like the Carmody/Coble situation...

I desperately don't want it to be. I want to see the NCAAs before I die, you know. I just think that we have to be vigilant and protective of our school, too.

I desperately don't want it to be. I want to see the NCAAs before I die, you know. I just think that we have to be vigilant and protective of our school, too.

Nothing is coming of this other than missing that valuable bball scholarship...

I was given an offer I couldn't refuse. So I know it can happen. The establishment had it's reasons. The offer was something with silence or nothing with nothing with no terms. I took something, occasionally I regret it but life is hard.

As someone who actually paid his own way by saving, working and coop taking an extra year (not my parents paying and no other assistance ) yes it does bother me

As someone who actually paid his own way by saving, working and coop taking an extra year (not my parents paying and no other assistance ) yes it does bother me

Oh yes, the moral outrage. Poor you, the self-made man who has never had anything handed to him. You never had any advantages in life, having been raised in poverty, born blind, deaf, and without either hand. How did you manage to rise to such heights that you could post on this lofty board? Hooray, you.

Screw that Johnnie kid. We don't even need to find out what happened. He's one of them, isn't he? Not a Great Man like you.

Oh yes, the moral outrage. Poor you, the self-made man who has never had anything handed to him. You never had any advantages in life, having been raised in poverty, born blind, deaf, and without either hand. How did you manage to rise to such heights that you could post on this lofty board? Hooray, you.

Screw that Johnnie kid. We don't even need to find out what happened. He's one of them, isn't he? Not a Great Man like you.

Might be a bit over the top there, Yesterday's Cat. I don't think Hdhntr's positioning himself as being "holier than thou", but you can see where someone who's done what he has might look askance at the way this situation is playing out.

Vassar signed a "letter of intent" to play basketball in exchange for a free education. he's not fulfilling is end of the intent. Those are the facts and not some weird crap you type.

Yeah but what does Ifeadi Odenigbo weigh?

In general, people on these message boards take extreme pride in NU's academic prowess. I don't really care about any of that at all, as I didn't attend NU and and was a completely mediocre student myself, but it's hilarious to me that some people are pissed at a student taking advantage of a free education at said esteemed university. Shows where people's priorities truly are. Not mad at any of you who do want Vassar out, because I do too; Vassar - as well as most other athletes at NU - are all just numbers to me who I don't give a shit about outside of how they perform on a court or field. That said, I can't knock Vassar one iota for taking advantage of his situation, as much as I'd love Collins to have his scholly. Any of you would too if you were in his shoes.

As they say, "don't hate the playa, hate the game"

I'm sure if Chris Collins suddenly got fired, he'd refuse to allow NU to pay him the remainder of his contract, right? I mean, that wouldn't be fair! That would be spoiled and selfish! I'm sure he'd just send the checks back unsigned.

Reactions: ricko654321
I'm sure if Chris Collins suddenly got fired, he'd refuse to allow NU to pay him the remainder of his contract, right? I mean, that wouldn't be fair! That would be spoiled and selfish! I'm sure he'd just send the checks back unsigned.
...or he could send them to me.

Vassar signed a "letter of intent" to play basketball in exchange for a free education. he's not fulfilling is end of the intent. Those are the facts and not some weird crap you type.

To be fair to Vasser, it sounds like he may have tried to return to the team but wasn't allowed back. In other words, he may intend to unintend his original decision to unintend to play, therefore he now intends to play so to fulfill his scholarship intentions. So he still may intend to play but is in an unintendable position even though he intends to intend.

Who is the professional and who is an amateur?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT