ADVERTISEMENT

New Professional Football League

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Several non-fake news outlets are reporting the impending launch of a new professional football league.

The Pacific Pro league would feature players who have NFL-level talents and aspirations, but are not suited for college football's academic rigors (Insert SEC joke here).

The Pacific Pro Football League is for players who have graduated from high school but aren't in college and haven't been out for three years in order to make themselves eligible for the NFL. The four-team league, based in Southern California, says it will pay players an average salary of $50,000 and play eight games "under professional football rules, protocols and style," according to a statement sent out by the league.

I am supportive of the idea of giving players another career option that does not make them serfs of the NCAA feudal lords. Whether this flies as a business is anyone's guess. Professional football is littered with failed attempts to create a counterpart/competitor to the NFL.

In Southern California. Wondering how it will compete for fans with two NFL teams and a handful of P5 programs. Gonna be tough.

Several non-fake news outlets are reporting the impending launch of a new professional football league.

The Pacific Pro league would feature players who have NFL-level talents and aspirations, but are not suited for college football's academic rigors (Insert SEC joke here).

The Pacific Pro Football League is for players who have graduated from high school but aren't in college and haven't been out for three years in order to make themselves eligible for the NFL. The four-team league, based in Southern California, says it will pay players an average salary of $50,000 and play eight games "under professional football rules, protocols and style," according to a statement sent out by the league.

I am supportive of the idea of giving players another career option that does not make them serfs of the NCAA feudal lords. Whether this flies as a business is anyone's guess. Professional football is littered with failed attempts to create a counterpart/competitor to the NFL.

"Serfs of the NCAA feudal lords?" Not sure how you can continue supporting college football if that's how you feel.

An average salary of $50,000 for 8 games. That has to be a mistake. At minimum, the rosters would have to be at least 40 guys. That's $2mm in player salaries alone. Unless they have some sort of TV deal, or a subsidy from the NFL, that's not workable for a start-up minor league.

An average salary of $50,000 for 8 games. That has to be a mistake. At minimum, the rosters would have to be at least 40 guys. That's $2mm in player salaries alone. Unless they have some sort of TV deal, or a subsidy from the NFL, that's not workable for a start-up minor league.
My thoughts exactly. I would like to see the business case documents. I don't see how they survive financially without a huge subsidy from someone.

Indoor arena football was attempted here in Alaska on a similar level. I know some of my sons' high school teammates who did not go on to college participated. As I recall it did not survive more than a season or two even though they had no competition from any in state college or pro teams. Obviously California has a greater population base, but otherwise the business model was very close. That said, hockey has done quite well here on a professional level with the Alaska Aces having won several ECHL Kelly Cup Championships.

In Southern California. Wondering how it will compete for fans with two NFL teams and a handful of P5 programs. Gonna be tough.
Well... it might go over in San Diego. Sorry WCW.

They could name it the Similar to Education Conference (there's your SEC joke).

With the uptick in coverage of recruiting and high school football, plus all the TV cash and money in general in college football I can see this thing gaining steam. If the NFL backs and or supports it.

True that there is a lot of completion for the sports dollar in so. Cal, so wonder if they would be better putting teams in college towns that don't have professional teams. Maybe spots like Lincoln NE., Io-a City, Austin TX or in any of the SEC football crazy towns.

Not just average salary - only salary. All players make the same.

True that there is a lot of completion for the sports dollar in so. Cal, so wonder if they would be better putting teams in college towns that don't have professional teams. Maybe spots like Lincoln NE., Io-a City, Austin TX or in any of the SEC football crazy towns.
SEC would have a fit. Extremely talented kids that really don't want to deal with school is the SEC business model. Direct competition.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Interesting.

Supposedly, the league will also develop coaches and referees in addition to players.

The league is being started by several notable figures in football including:
Don Yee - Tom Brady's agent
Ed McCaffrey and his wife
Jeffrey Husvar - a former Fox Sports and CBS Sports exec

Advisors include
Mike Shanahan
Adam Shefter
Mike Pereira
Jim Steeg - NFL exec

It's a tremendous concept if you ask me. The NCAA is making billions off these kids who don't see a dime. At least now they have the option to get compensated for what they do.

Blue Bloods cant be happy with this...

Reactions: Dugan15
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see anything like this even coming close to succeeding. They'll need a major TV or streaming deal as their primary revenue stream, because the gate receipts I imagine will be limited. It seems that their best chance for success is to start poaching kids who have had one or two years of Division I football success, and offer them a year of cash before they get to the NFL. But that's not a way to build loyalty or fandom or revenue - that's just a way to get a small smattering of kids some cash before they can really cash in.

College football is so financially successful because of the free labor, the family and state tradition, the gigantic TV deals, and the tax advantages donations. This league will have none of those things, and a lower quality of play.

I wish the NFL would build a proper minor league system, but there is no incentive to do so when the NCAA develops its players and absorbs the risk of early attrition.

The college athletics industrial complex is too large for many kids to choose the pro route, and, even if they do, there's no name recognition for 99.9% of players of that age.

College football's success is largely because, as Jerry Seinfeld once said, people cheer for laundry and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see anything like this even coming close to succeeding. They'll need a major TV or streaming deal as their primary revenue stream, because the gate receipts I imagine will be limited. It seems that their best chance for success is to start poaching kids who have had one or two years of Division I football success, and offer them a year of cash before they get to the NFL. But that's not a way to build loyalty or fandom or revenue - that's just a way to get a small smattering of kids some cash before they can really cash in.

College football is so financially successful because of the free labor, the family and state tradition, the gigantic TV deals, and the tax advantages donations. This league will have none of those things, and a lower quality of play.

I wish the NFL would build a proper minor league system, but there is no incentive to do so when the NCAA develops its players and absorbs the risk of early attrition.

The college athletics industrial complex is too large for many kids to choose the pro route, and, even if they do, there's no name recognition for 99.9% of players of that age.

College football's success is largely because, as Jerry Seinfeld once said, people cheer for laundry and will continue to do so.

If they start coercing guys like Fournette and Cook to forego their Senior Year to get paid and stay healthy people will watch. There are also so many sports networks right now searching for content I don't see it being too difficult to strike a TV Deal.

Supposedly, the league will also develop coaches and referees in addition to players.
The NFL is already doing that. What is the league going to do? Hire 29 year old coaches?
This league will have none of those things, and a lower quality of play.
If the league survives long enough to see its first draft and has a couple of players go first round, then it could have the highest quality of play. And the NCAA would start suffering. Agents would start scouting kids in high school. Which they probably do already.

If they start coercing guys like Fournette and Cook to forego their Senior Year to get paid and stay healthy people will watch. There are also so many sports networks right now searching for content I don't see it being too difficult to strike a TV Deal.

The XFL didn't work and they had NBC. Neither will this.

If the league survives long enough to see its first draft and has a couple of players go first round, then it could have the highest quality of play. And the NCAA would start suffering. Agents would start scouting kids in high school. Which they probably do already.

The challenge is that they don't need a few players to sign up - they need 200. And that first class will be taking such a huge risk, especially if they're coming right from high school, because they're keeping faith that the league will make it three years. If the league fails after one - or before it gets off the ground - those 19 year olds have two more years to wait, while also having lost their shamateur status (I just invented that, I think.) I just can't see many signing up for that risk.

The challenge is that they don't need a few players to sign up - they need 200. And that first class will be taking such a huge risk, especially if they're coming right from high school, because they're keeping faith that the league will make it three years. If the league fails after one - or before it gets off the ground - those 19 year olds have two more years to wait, while also having lost their shamateur status (I just invented that, I think.) I just can't see many signing up for that risk.

But how else are we to piss off the "Blue Bloods?"

Make them play in that league or college for at least a couple years and it is another source for the NFL to draw from. HEck it would make sense for them to subsidize

Let them declare for the draft at any time and the league has a much better chance to survive. As stated, the all powerful NFL gets free labor at the college level and universities make the revenues on the back of the student athlete.

Remember when we had all the HS kids going straight to the NBA? How about all the opposition to Clarett trying to enter the NFL draft become becoming of age. The issue this league will have to overcome is neither the NFL or the NCAA want them to succeed.

Would kids be ale to try college first? and then join? Maybe it should work on getting kids that don't need three years. Take JUCOs or kids that get tired of Playing School. Put some guys into the league right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT