ADVERTISEMENT

New Softball Stadium

Looks nice from the one rendering of it. Actually the most interesting thing I noticed is there will be parking lots both just East of the stadium, where the old football practice field is, and just North of the stadium, which is currently a grass field. I had been wondering what the future of the old football practice field would be and turning it into a parking lot was the most obvious plan. They'll have to move Wildcat Alley somewhere (probably softball or baseball stadium). Anyway, good for softball! I look forward to attending some games there. Can we get a bigger scoreboard though?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
My favorite sentence from the press release:

The playing field within the stadium will retain the name Sharon J. Drysdale Field, which was named in honor of the legendary Northwestern softball coach upon her retirement in 2001.

As I recall, there were some who thought that this is what should have been done in 1997, when Dyche Stadium was renamed to Ryan Field.

Didn't the lack of lighting prevent us from hosting NCAA super-regionals in the past (or something like that)?

If we're going to spend the money to build a new stadium, shouldn't we install lighting so that we can host super-regionals?

Or am I remembering wrong?

I remember there being temporary lighting brought in when NU hosted the Big Ten Softball Tournament in 2014. We've hosted NCAA regionals, but I believe all the games were during the day. I don't remember an issue with hosting a super-regional, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It's good question. I'm sure the neighbors would push back on there being lights and maybe NU figured they already used all their capital on the football stadium. The baseball stadium doesn't have lights either.

I remember there being temporary lighting brought in when NU hosted the Big Ten Softball Tournament in 2014. We've hosted NCAA regionals, but I believe all the games were during the day. I don't remember an issue with hosting a super-regional, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It's good question. I'm sure the neighbors would push back on there being lights and maybe NU figured they already used all their capital on the football stadium. The baseball stadium doesn't have lights either.

Well let's hope at some point not having lights at Rocky Miller becomes a problem for hosting super regionals 😉

Stadium lighting technology has gotten so good that they can put in systems with very little light pollution/leakage. I guess neighbors would still complain about the noise of night games, but they could start the games early enough to be done by 9 or 9:30. But then, this is Evanston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT