ADVERTISEMENT

New Walk-On

Cat Fan in Buckeye Land

Jan 28, 2008
I was looking at the roster, and saw a new walk-on…Blake Smith…6’6” G from Blue Bell, PA.

Does anybody have any info on him?

13 listed on the roster, so at least they’ll be able t practice 5 on 5, to start the season, anyway.

these walk ons are important...the stronger better the reserves are the better the practices for everyone....and you practice more than you play...Its important....so good news for Cats..

Question I have is you are allowed 13 scholarship players. This year NU has 2 walk ons and 11 scholarship. Roy just got his.

I wonder if the administration is trying to save $$$ or are they holding a couple for the coming years?

Question I have is you are allowed 13 scholarship players. This year NU has 2 walk ons and 11 scholarship. Roy just got his.

I wonder if the administration is trying to save $$$ or are they holding a couple for the coming years?
Aren't NU athletic scholarships for four years? Don't want to lock up scholarships for future recruiting classes. This is why walk-ons typically don't get it until the end of their academic careers.

Reactions: ballerog711
Aren't NU athletic scholarships for four years? Don't want to lock up scholarships for future recruiting classes. This is why walk-ons typically don't get it until the end of their academic careers.

That’s an interesting point re 4 year schollies.

In the past for example in football when 5th year players would graduate after fall quarter they could use that slot and put walk-ons on scholarship for winter and spring. That wasn’t the same as “earning a scholarship” so they’d lose it again the next fall, but it certainly helped families out. I wonder if the new 4 year paradigm precludes that. Less pertinent for hoops given the season runs into spring q but for a situation like this - can they even give a scholarship for only one year at this point?

4 year scholarships are only if you sign a letter of intent coming out of high school, I believe. If you earn one later they can be taken away.

Reactions: High Hopes Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT