ADVERTISEMENT

Next up: wide receivers

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
We've got Dan Persa as our quarterback and Justin Jackson as our running back. Next, we're going to identify the best NU WR over the last 25 years.

Once again, I think this will be a slam dunk. It should be a bigger landslide than JJ, in my opinion. However, I think it's going to be tough figuring out who should be on the ballot.

Here are the guys I think are shoo-ins:

D'Wayne Bates
Jeremy Ebert
Austin Carr

Then, there are a lot of bubble guys who are hard to separate. The following WRs are in the all-time NU Top 10 in both catches and yards. But were they "great"? Which of them should be included? Of this list, I'd go Peterman for sure and Philmore second, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
Eric Peterman
Mark Philmore
Ross Lane
Shaun Herbert
Kunle Patrick

Then you have Zeke Markshausen. If we include Carr as a one-year wonder, should Zeke also be on the list? He caught 91 passes in 2009, second-most ever in a single season at NU. But he didn't lead the team in yards or make first-team All-Big Ten. Was that enough for a guy who caught one pass in his first three years?

What you realize here is that, outside of a few stars, NU hasn't had a whole lot of standout wide receivers over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News