ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

I think attendance may be a problem in Rosemont. I heard too many STHs in my section who were talking about "taking a year off" to think otherwise.

With the incredible season, I'd bet ticket/fundraising policies are going to drastically change for the new arena. If so and I was the good Dr, I might fire a warning shot with some type of "incentive" to build attendance in Rosemont.

Which is worse? Not renewing there tickets? or Renewing but no showing up?

Serious question.

I don't see the pessimism either for NU or for the Big 10. Considering the 2 redshirt forwards replacing our 2 senior forwards, it's fair to say we are losing next to nothing. We'll have another athletic wing player, and maybe another recruit to come. We will be a senior dominated team coming off of a 24 win season. We will probably be more consistent offensively, our major weakness. We were very strong on the road, so with our experience we should be mentally tough enough to win in a half empty gym, if it comes to that. Remember that the vets are already very familiar with half empty gyms.

As for the big 10, Iowa was freshman dominated and will be better. MSU has 2 elite bigs coming in (so far), and will have at least most of their frosh back. They will be much better. PSU and Minn, better with experience. Maryland was also freshman dominated and already has Melo's replacement. They will be better. Indiana? Nobody can be that banged up... Better. Michigan and Purdue? Maybe a step back, at least I hope so. Rutgers? Lots of room for improvement and a good first year coach. Illinois? We'll see how the new guy recruits. I wouldn't expect immediate glory though. We should be back in the hunt for the ACC-Big 10 challenge title and for better tournament seedings. I'm already excited.

I don't see the pessimism either for NU or for the Big 10. Considering the 2 redshirt forwards replacing our 2 senior forwards, it's fair to say we are losing next to nothing. We'll have another athletic wing player, and maybe another recruit to come. We will be a senior dominated team coming off of a 24 win season. We will probably be more consistent offensively, our major weakness. We were very strong on the road, so with our experience we should be mentally tough enough to win in a half empty gym, if it comes to that. Remember that the vets are already very familiar with half empty gyms.

As for the big 10, Iowa was freshman dominated and will be better. MSU has 2 elite bigs coming in (so far), and will have at least most of their frosh back. They will be much better. PSU and Minn, better with experience. Maryland was also freshman dominated and already has Melo's replacement. They will be better. Indiana? Nobody can be that banged up... Better. Michigan and Purdue? Maybe a step back, at least I hope so. Rutgers? Lots of room for improvement and a good first year coach. Illinois? We'll see how the new guy recruits. I wouldn't expect immediate glory though. We should be back in the hunt for the ACC-Big 10 challenge title and for better tournament seedings. I'm already excited.
There could well be two new recruits added to the one (Gaines) who has already pledged. Yes, Io-a was freshmen dominated but were those guys really good and the same can be said for Maryland and it will be pretty hard to immediately replace Melo. NU was better then both PSU and Minny and remain so. Indiana will likely be hurt by the coaching change and ditto for Illinois, who will have to first hold onto their pledged recruits. Overall I feel NU will be in the top half of the conference, possibly in the top 5.

There could well be two new recruits added to the one (Gaines) who has already pledged. Yes, Io-a was freshmen dominated but were those guys really good and the same can be said for Maryland and it will be pretty hard to immediately replace Melo. NU was better then both PSU and Minny and remain so. Indiana will likely be hurt by the coaching change and ditto for Illinois, who will have to first hold onto their pledged recruits. Overall I feel NU will be in the top half of the conference, possibly in the top 5.

I'm concerned about UoI. I don't like Underwood, think he has zero integrity, but he can coach. I'm worried about what he can do with talent.

Which is worse? Not renewing there tickets? or Renewing but no showing up?

Serious question.

A) Pre-tournament - and let me emphasize that term - several of us were told by different reps that season tickets would not be required next year to retain WR seats, etc. I'm sure that was a major reason why people were going to sit out Allstate Arena.

B) For one year, I agree with Fitzphile. The money matters and you can always blow off attendance to Rosemont.

C) Excuse me for repeating this speech. For awhile, I've said there's a value to showing up at NU. It's been too much of a problem for too long.

Let's say NU is a tournament team next year (fingers crossed). In 2018, I'd still announce a 3-5 year incentive plan to get asses in the seats and make sure those one-time purple seats are filled. You can't have recruits visiting in November or December with some of those crowds.

I won't believe the NU regular season ticket base will be changed until I see it. Look at spikes in football attendance in 96 and 97, and what the reality has become.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT