ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

REX KERNY

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2004
This year has been great and next year is a way off but just wondered who will be back next year and who’s coming in and will there be a spot for a transfer?

This year has been great and next year is a way off but just wondered who will be back next year and who’s coming in and will there be a spot for a transfer?

Right now, NU still has two open roster spots for next year. Easiest way to track eligibility is to go to Verbal Commits

Exhausted Eligibility

Buie
Langborg
Preston

Covid Senior

Berry (Covid) (G)

Senior

Nicholson (RS Sr.) (Still has COVID year)(C)
Barnhizer (Sr.) (F)

Junior

Martinelli (F)
Hunger (C)
Mullins (G)

Soph

Clayton (G)

Freshman

Barkley (F)(RS)
Strauss (G)(RS)
Ciaravino (G/F)
Windham (PG)

Right now, NU still has two open roster spots for next year. Easiest way to track eligibility is to go to Verbal Commits

Exhausted Eligibility

Buie
Langborg
Preston

Covid Senior

Berry (Covid) (G)

Senior

Barnhizer (Sr.) (F)

Junior

Martinelli (F)
Hunger (C)
Mullins (G)

Soph

Clayton (G)

Freshman

Barkley (F)(RS)
Strauss (G)(RS)
Ciaravino (G/F)
Windham (PG)
Nicholson and Berry are the same year. Covid year remains.

Reactions: phatcat

Exhausted Eligibility

Buie
Langborg
Preston

Covid Senior

Berry (Covid) (G)

Senior

Barnhizer (Sr.) (F)

Junior

Martinelli (F)
Hunger (C)
Mullins (G)

Soph

Clayton (G)

Freshman

Barkley (F)(RS)
Strauss (G)(RS)
Ciaravino (G/F)
Windham (PG)
Hunger will be a red-shirt Soph next year. Other than that and the Nicholson thing, you nailed it. Ideally, with the two remaining slots, we find a veteran point guard for stability and an inside banger who just rebounds. Remember Jared Swopshire, whom we got from Louisville about a decade ago? I'd love to see a grad transfer like him.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat
Did the NCAA change the rule on redshirting? It used to be if you play in one game (in basketball) you can't redshirt unless medical reasons.

Nicholson played in 9 games (as a healthy ghost).
Hunger played in some games, but got injured.

Ideally, with the two remaining slots, we find a veteran point guard for stability and an inside banger who just rebounds. Remember Jared Swopshire, whom we got from Louisville about a decade ago? I'd love to see a grad transfer like him.
If NU keeps playing well, I would expect the quality of transfer candidates to keep going up. No more settling for steady-but-nothing-special guys like Verhoeven and Preston, but maybe a real big man with skills (jury is still out on Mullins, but I am optimistic).

As for the point guard, I would think the quality there could be excellent as well, as NU is proving they can get to tourneys and the All-Big-Ten team (if not higher) with a transcendent point guard. Not that anyone NU can get will be as good as Boo, but they may have the confidence and skills to THINK they can do the same thing.

As usual: admissions.

Last edited:
Did the NCAA change the rule on redshirting? It used to be if you play in one game (in basketball) you can't redshirt unless medical reasons.

Inside NU reported that Hunger got a medical redshirt for last year and thus has 3 years of eligibility remaining (after this season ends).

Agree that Nicholson should have only one year left, not two.

You bring up an interesting point. AFAIK, football has a different set of redshirt rules than other sports, including basketball.

Football players can play 4 games. So many examples, but this past year the question was whether Kilbane would play more than 4 (he did). There is no such rule in basketball.

However, there is the injury redshirt. Recent NU examples include: Hunger and Sanjay Lumpkin. If you play fewer than 1/3 of your games and they all happen in the first half of the season, you can redshirt if you have a season-ending injury.

So on this year's hoops team you have 2 guys playing fewer than 10 games in their first years but with different eligibility treatment. Hunger has used a redshirt year. Nicholson has not. But he has a Covid year.

I am guessing CCC is not playing Blake Smith to preserve a redshirt year for him if he wants to play somewhere other than Northwestern after his 4 NU years are complete.

I believe the basketball redshirt threshold is 30% of team games. So, if you play less than 30% of games, you can count as a redshirt year. Nicholson exceeded that threshold.

So, like Berry, Nicholson should have one season left because 20-21 just didn’t count.

NU will be just fine next year if they find a transcendent, once-in-a-generation* point guard in the portal.

My actual opinion is that a team led by
Berry-Barney-Nicholson will be fine. Maybe not “make the dance” fine, but pretty good. Brooks could lead the conference in scoring. It’s good that Clayton is playing this season a bit, but I imagine that NU will be portal-scouring for two backcourt spots. Langborg has been a great addition.

Also, I’ll worry about this in mid-April. GO CATS GO CATS GO

*actually, once-ever

NU will be just fine next year if they find a transcendent, once-in-a-generation* point guard in the portal.

My actual opinion is that a team led by
Berry-Barney-Nicholson will be fine. Maybe not “make the dance” fine, but pretty good. Brooks could lead the conference in scoring. It’s good that Clayton is playing this season a bit, but I imagine that NU will be portal-scouring for two backcourt spots. Langborg has been a great addition.

Also, I’ll worry about this in mid-April. GO CATS GO CATS GO

*actually, once-ever
Biggest need will be a veteran PG. Not clear at all Clayton will be ready.

Add that to Berry-Barnhizer-Martinelli-Nicholson and that’s already a solid Big Ten starting five, with Hunger and the better of Clayton and Mullins first off the bench.

I believe the basketball redshirt threshold is 30% of team games. So, if you play less than 30% of games, you can count as a redshirt year.
No, it is still play 1 game and you lose the opportunity to redshirt, unless you have a season-ending medical injury and play less than 30% of ten's games. The Dayton coach weighed in earlier this season:

Biggest need will be a veteran PG. Not clear at all Clayton will be ready.

Add that to Berry-Barnhizer-Martinelli-Nicholson and that’s already a solid Big Ten starting five, with Hunger and the better of Clayton and Mullins first off the bench.

I wonder what the guard and wing rotation will look like beyond Berry and Brooks. Clayton seems a long way from being able to contribute … and he’s playing over Mullins and Barkley.

No, it is still play 1 game and you lose the opportunity to redshirt, unless you have a season-ending medical injury and play less than 30% of ten's games. The Dayton coach weighed in earlier this season:

Yes, this was new learning for me too. I thought it was a straight 30% for all redshirts. But that would make too much sense.

Thanks for confirming. So Nicholson didn't "redshirt" as a freshman and neither did Barnhizer, who participated in 11 games, as opposed to Nicholson's 9 the year before. Hunger played in 6 games as a freshman, but gets the medical redshirt because he actually was injured.

Clayton therefore is not redshirting. Barkley and Strauss are (so far).

Need a ball handling guard that can also score. Bigger the better.

Need a big, there will be some athletic bigs in the conference next year that NU will have to compete against.

Replace any transfers that leave

I don't fully understand why Langborg doesn't get another year, as during the covid year Princeton (and all the Ivies) canceled the whole season. Therefore this season is his fourth year of playing college basketball, having not played even a partial season during the covid year. Shouldn't he deserve a fifth year like everyone else?

I don't fully understand why Langborg doesn't get another year, as during the covid year Princeton (and all the Ivies) canceled the whole season. Therefore this season is his fourth year of playing college basketball, having not played even a partial season during the covid year. Shouldn't he deserve a fifth year like everyone else?
No. He played a full 2019-20. Only the 2020-21 year is the free year, whether you played 24 games (Buie) or 0 games (Langborg). It would be like Buie coming back next year.

Ivy BASEBALL players get 2 free years, because the 20 and 21 season were cancelled.

Interesting note on transfer portal -- wouldn't 2024 Ivy grads have another year of eligibility? And probably NOT an issue with admissions. Might be the premier place to look - Yale, Cornell, Princeton etc?

August Mahoney (Yale) and Matt Allocco (Princeton) could be fits on the senior guard role. Mahoney was the top FT shooter and 3 PT shooter in the Ivy as a junior.

Reactions: ballerog711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT