ADVERTISEMENT

Peeking ahead- what does next year look like?

DocCat2

Aug 25, 2005
NU all-time leading scorer will be gone.... I know Barnhizer has made big strides... but what would next year's team look like? Will they be competitive without Boo? Who steps in for his enormous role? Will CC try to bring in a high profile transfer?

I was just googling mid-major point guards, though I didn’t get far.

Boo is irreplaceable. But Nicholson-Martinelli-Barnhizer is a pretty darn good group. Berry was trending toward All B1G when he got hurt. Mullins and Smith belong.

The concern is that Clayton has done little to inspire confidence that he belongs. And, as much as I like the defensive possibilities of Mullins as the fifth starter, I don’t want Barney and Berry as primary ballhandlers.

So, NU looks pretty good, especially compared to historical norms. Just that darn best-player-ever-sized hole.

For what it’s worth, I think the group of known players might be good enough to make the tournament anyway. This is because I’m an optimist. But adding a successful point guard — hopefully young, and not just a grad transfer — would be huge.

I'll play.
1) Similar to this year in terms of offensive style and hard work on defense.
2) Not as competitive as the last two years, but probably more competitive than 2018-2021
3) I would guess Clayton, Strauss or a transfer.
4) No doubt he'll try.

At the risk of having Coral call me out as negative again, do we know if Nicholson and Berry are coming back? Certainly I'm assuming they will but if they don't that's a big impact.

I'll keep beating the Matt Allocco drum.

That said, I hate to be this guy, but enjoy the now. This is the golden age of NU hoops. This team is on the way to accomplishing something never done before here. In many ways, sustaining success is even harder than the first trip up the mountain. Let's support this group while we have it and keep the future discussions for the future.

The one thing I think will be irreplaceable is Boo's ability to create a hoop when we need it most. There aren't many guys in NU hoops history that can make a game winning play in crunch time by just putting the ball in his hands and getting out of the way. We've tried it a lot, especially in the Chris Collins era, but it usually hasn't worked well for us until Boo. (I know.... there is that one Tre Demps game) It will be very hard to replace that even if we do find a good PG in the transfer portal.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
NU all-time leading scorer will be gone.... I know Barnhizer has made big strides... but what would next year's team look like? Will they be competitive without Boo? Who steps in for his enormous role? Will CC try to bring in a high profile transfer?
Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift.

That’s why we call it the present.

Wasn't there a run of commentary in this thread about Nicholson's NBA prospects (or lack thereof)?

Was reading an article Pitno was blasting the transfer portal. He was saying Siva and Smith barely played freshmen, but stayed jn school and developed into championship backcourt

Boo is a other example, people were questioning his IQ going into senior year and then he got it.

Ty had a flat shot for 3 years

Hopefully that will be the case again.

I am enjoying this season quite a bit.

Next season is a mystery until we know fur shur who on the team is coming back, and who Collins finds in the portal.

We'd need a big time transfer point guard for everything to keep playing the way we do with Buie (or even close to it). Without one, I think we'd take a step back.

I’m hoping a line up of: MN, Mart, BB, Ty and transfer PG. Hunger, Mullins, Clay - first off bench. Sprinkle in newbies to fill in eventual injuries.

Ill go back to believing MN, Mart and BB can be double double guys and get 15-20 from Ty every night.

That hypo gets back to the dance.

The one thing I think will be irreplaceable is Boo's ability to create a hoop when we need it most. There aren't many guys in NU hoops history that can make a game winning play in crunch time by just putting the ball in his hands and getting out of the way. We've tried it a lot, especially in the Chris Collins era, but it usually hasn't worked well for us until Boo. (I know.... there is that one Tre Demps game) It will be very hard to replace that even if we do find a good PG in the transfer portal.
BB or Mary working it inside with kick out to Ty option as clock wind down option.

Then there is the opposite. MN and Ty don't come back. Boo and Lanborg graduate.

Brooks looks around and decide to leave as well.

Have to build around Hunger and Matenelli

Collins has to start all over.

I have heard (indirectly) from a very solid source that he expects Ty Berry and Matt Nicholson to be back at NU for their 5th season. So, I'm not really worried about that.

Replacing Buie with a grad student point guard seems like a pretty big ask. I'd look directly at the Ivy League first. If there's nobody who looks capable of stepping up in class, the list of capable, eligible grad transfers seems like it will shorten quickly.

Then there is the opposite. MN and Ty don't come back. Boo and Lanborg graduate.

Brooks looks around and decide to leave as well.

Have to build around Hunger and Matenelli

Collins has to start all over.
This is the worst post and I don’t know you but I think I hate you. Geez, somebody is going to pay Brooks half a million to leave. Probably Indiana. Geeeeeez. (I don’t think this will happen, but I hate that you put it in my mind.)

But today? That’s the present.

Go Cats Go Cats Go

PS - I don’t hate you. Promise.

Last edited:
At the risk of having Coral call me out as negative again, do we know if Nicholson and Berry are coming back? Certainly I'm assuming they will but if they don't that's a big impact.
I am hoping that the lack of senior-designed uniforms means that both the 4 year seniors are coming back, and not that the tradition has ended.

Stanford isn’t good this season and I have the hope that we can steal Kanaan Carlyle for the Boo Buie position, (he’s not in the portal but…in regards to players we should be recruiting…)

He is similar to Boo in a lot of ways, speed,
ability to creative his own shot. It’s clear he needs a system where he has the space to make things happen. Stanford is not that offensive system.

He is the teams best player yet he comes off the bench. It is a pretty special opportunity for a player to step into a role that made a player into an all American. Plus NU would be reloaded. (Also could use another ‘Borg)

Lots of possibilities. But I also see Berry and Big Matt coming back. CCC and staff have a good recent track record of identifying and keeping the right guys and helping them develop. In hindsight we lost the right guys.

Let’s take care of business now, which is a good NCAA seed, on to the 2nd round, and then I think we’ll see enough portal options.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'll keep beating the Matt Allocco drum.

That said, I hate to be this guy, but enjoy the now. This is the golden age of NU hoops. This team is on the way to accomplishing something never done before here. In many ways, sustaining success is even harder than the first trip up the mountain. Let's support this group while we have it and keep the future discussions for the future.
Allocco or August Mahoney of Yale. I'd go for either.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Just wrote that about people leaving, cause they have to think about it. I don't think Michagan planned on Dicki son leaving.

I think everyone comes back and they are a top team.

Hopefully Boo is mentor to the young fellows in the spring workouts and help them understand what they need to do to improve., along with the assistant coaches.

I have nothing too new to add that hasn't already been said. Assuming we have Berry, Barnizer, Nicholson, and Martinelli back, we have some nice players, but the loss of Boo will be massive. I have said numerous times to friends this year that "it's great that we finally have that cold-blooded killer who can hit the big shots when we need them". It's so hard to find a guy like that and Boo is that. That's the difference in so many close games.

We'll see what the team looks like next year. In this day and age, it's so hard to project a roster from one year to the next. Like a few others said, if the roster is pretty much what we think it is (everyone we hope is coming back comes back and we don't land a difference-making transfer), I see us as a competitive team that will lose a lot more close games than we do now.

But let's see where the roster is come November. A lot can change between now and then.

A lot of people aren’t fully grasping Buies impact on this team. It’s not just scoring in clutch moments or what he contributes on the stat sheet. Buie as a player draws so much attention and game planning that he opens things up for everyone else on the court. His playmaking and decision making creates for others. His threat to get downhill changes how you guard NU.

Players look a lot different when they are the guy you’re trying to stop. Look at Martinelli when he was the 6th man vs in the starting line up. Look at Smith for Purdue shine while teams sell out to slow down Edey. Teams are selling out to slow down Boo.

You can not replace a player the caliber of Buie. NU will have a have a huge hole missing without him. He’s a very good perimeter defender, and excellent passer and scorer. He is the engine that runs the offense and makes it go. They will have to replace his, running of the offense, defense, scoring, and playmaking ability. Players will also have to adjust to the increased attention they are getting from the opponents.

Luckily there are potentially a ton of nice pieces returning as highlighted above and NU is 1-2 impact players(through development or addition) from making another shot at the tourney.

The Ivy League has some talent now, perhaps we can find another solid transfer from there next year. Too bad their two best players are still just a sophomore and freshman.

IMHO, NU has become cool, as CCC said Buie has made it. So our best players are going to want to come back and see what more they can accomplish, as Buie is doing this season.

More importantly, with consistent success, NU's ability to recruit is rising. Should be some talent available through the portal. NU could attract some impact players., including frosh.

Things are looking good, Wildcats. Plenty of opportunity to chew nails and gnash teeth on Wednesday.

Reactions: DaCat
A lot of people aren’t fully grasping Buies impact on this team. It’s not just scoring in clutch moments or what he contributes on the stat sheet. Buie as a player draws so much attention and game planning that he opens things up for everyone else on the court. His playmaking and decision making creates for others. His threat to get downhill changes how you guard NU.
I agree with this and I also think it works both ways.

How teams guard against Boo and in-game coaching are directly impacted by how well the outside is shooting in the moment.

In the second half against Michigan, Boo had free reign going inside and just kinda dribbling around looking for a shot or an assist - in part because Brooks and Ryan were killing it from three and their men weren't really leaving them. When our guys are missing wide open threes, the defense makes life much much harder on Boo.

IMHO, NU has become cool, as CCC said Buie has made it. So our best players are going to want to come back and see what more they can accomplish, as Buie is doing this season.

More importantly, with consistent success, NU's ability to recruit is rising. Should be some talent available through the portal. NU could attract some impact players., including frosh.

Things are looking good, Wildcats. Plenty of opportunity to chew nails and gnash teeth on Wednesday.
Don't forget the importance of NIL. I am choosing to support TrueNU, but we will struggle until big donors step up. Unfortunately, most of them are currently tied up supporting Edifice Rex

Stanford isn’t good this season and I have the hope that we can steal Kanaan Carlyle for the Boo Buie position, (he’s not in the portal but…in regards to players we should be recruiting…)

He is similar to Boo in a lot of ways, speed,
ability to creative his own shot. It’s clear he needs a system where he has the space to make things happen. Stanford is not that offensive system.

He is the teams best player yet he comes off the bench. It is a pretty special opportunity for a player to step into a role that made a player into an all American. Plus NU would be reloaded. (Also could use another ‘Borg)
I love this thought. He's from Atlanta, and obviously a good student. Someone out in Palo Alto needs to get in this kid's ear. I will send him a case of Hecky's ribs and pics of Salma Hayek in a purple bikini.

The Ivy League has some talent now, perhaps we can find another solid transfer from there next year. Too bad their two best players are still just a sophomore and freshman.

That’s an interesting read.

An NU offer with a full ride and some NIL and being on tv all the time could be a pretty good enticement.

Next year could look like Mart double double w 20/10, Barney double double sometimes w boards, sometimes w assists and definitely his first triple double, Berry burying from deep and MN and Hunger making a pretty good change of pace 7’ combo. And more great D.

And another year to be in the discussion to win the B1G.

Reactions: DaCat and GatoLouco
The danger is not Nicholson going pro (yet) but more the possibility of him going the way of the portal
Jacob Schmidt needs to get some juicy packages prepared for our squad. With the right PG transfer and/or Clayton’s development, we have the pieces in place to be a really solid team against next year.

I love this thought. He's from Atlanta, and obviously a good student. Someone out in Palo Alto needs to get in this kid's ear. I will send him a case of Hecky's ribs and pics of Salma Hayek in a purple bikini.
You’re going to have to up your game @Hungry Jack — Salma can be their mom. :D:D

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT