ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder what the comments will look like Monday morning

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
After getting blown out by the Illini in early January, the coaches and players corrected the glaring problems apparent in that game and bounced back with a double digit win at home over MSU and a road win at PSU. That week, in my mind, was the most important so far this year.

It has been 8 days since Berry’s season ending injury, and after the next two games, the Cats could have pretty much locked up a solid NCAA bid (10-5 conference), slid back to the bubble (8-7) or stayed the same (9-6).

I’m hopeful the coaching staff has made the adjustments to game planning that it can. Berry was both a strong defender and the best outlet option for Buie when opponents ran double teams at him as he moved through high screens. I have to think they will put the ball in Barnhizer’s hands more and run sets that open Buie as a shooter, and also emphasize getting the ball to Martinelli mid range. I would also expect them to try to really take the air out of the ball during the stretches where starters are subbed out.

On defense, I would expect a little more hedging at the perimeter the next 2 games, allowing Rutgers and IU to try to win at the 3 point line. In some ways, the loss of Berry’s defensive skill is a bigger loss than his shooting.

What is clear is that they have to adjust. Martinelli’s strengths are different than Berry’s, and the sets that are run and defensive assignments need to reflect that.

I think the staff has done an excellent job in getting the most from the roster this year. I’m actually optimistic that the next four days could be the ones people look back to as decisive (in a good way) for evaluating the overall success of the year. I am actually looking forward to Monday’s comments.

Tonight is a BIG F-ING GAME! Short turnaround against an Indiana team that will have been off for a week (sound familiar?). This three game stretch is critical - sustain momentum, build confidence in playing without Ty, get Clayton/Mullins/Smith's legs under themselves, add to the resume.

It's made tougher with Ty's absence but Collins has built the foundation on perseverance and grit. We've seen Cat teams fold in years past. I have faith this one is different.

After getting blown out by the Illini in early January, the coaches and players corrected the glaring problems apparent in that game and bounced back with a double digit win at home over MSU and a road win at PSU. That week, in my mind, was the most important so far this year.

It has been 8 days since Berry’s season ending injury, and after the next two games, the Cats could have pretty much locked up a solid NCAA bid (10-5 conference), slid back to the bubble (8-7) or stayed the same (9-6).

I’m hopeful the coaching staff has made the adjustments to game planning that it can. Berry was both a strong defender and the best outlet option for Buie when opponents ran double teams at him as he moved through high screens. I have to think they will put the ball in Barnhizer’s hands more and run sets that open Buie as a shooter, and also emphasize getting the ball to Martinelli mid range. I would also expect them to try to really take the air out of the ball during the stretches where starters are subbed out.

On defense, I would expect a little more hedging at the perimeter the next 2 games, allowing Rutgers and IU to try to win at the 3 point line. In some ways, the loss of Berry’s defensive skill is a bigger loss than his shooting.

What is clear is that they have to adjust. Martinelli’s strengths are different than Berry’s, and the sets that are run and defensive assignments need to reflect that.

I think the staff has done an excellent job in getting the most from the roster this year. I’m actually optimistic that the next four days could be the ones people look back to as decisive (in a good way) for evaluating the overall success of the year. I am actually looking forward to Monday’s comments.
Going 1-1 on two B1G road games this week would be a nice success, IMO. If we are 9-6 with 3 home games left, I like our chances.

But drop both this week (both in tough environments against gritty teams) and come out of the week 8-7... you bet we will all be feeling quite nervous again.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Probably should have done this in the off season, but use tonight to get ready for the rest of the season. At least the first half.

Let Mullins know when. He is going in the game and how long. Tell him to just play those couple of minutes.

Try to get Clayton a couple of touches and tell him to make a play.

Switch the defense to stay with your own mind and try Hunger at the 4.

Small sample, but gives you a little knowledge as to what the gameplan should be the fi al games.

Indiana do what you have to do to win that

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t think we lose a ton going from Ty to Mart. And if the bench can develop, through necessity, we might even be a better team (i.e. Mullins and Clayton step up). One game at a time. Best Rutgers. Go ‘Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT