ADVERTISEMENT

No Football at Cal, UCLA

The California state university system will hold all classes online in the fall. From what the NCAA has said to date this means UCLA and Cal wil not be playing football. Back to the Pac-10 I guess!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

While this is probably bad news for UCLA and Cal, this announcement is technically California State University rather than the University of California.

UC-Berkeley is still technically in "scenario planning" mode per its website: https://news.berkeley.edu/coronavirus/

UCLA is much the same: https://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/coronavirus-information-for-the-ucla-campus-community

While this is probably bad news for UCLA and Cal, this announcement is technically California State University rather than the University of California.

UC-Berkeley is still technically in "scenario planning" mode per its website: https://news.berkeley.edu/coronavirus/

UCLA is much the same: https://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/coronavirus-information-for-the-ucla-campus-community
Thanks for the add. I didn't realize they weren't part of the same system. It's true, learn something new every day!

The California state university system will hold all classes online in the fall. From what the NCAA has said to date this means UCLA and Cal wil not be playing football. Back to the Pac-10 I guess!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
This is not the only announcement of fall classes being online that will occur. The time is short in planning for how schools will be run, and I suspect that there will be a plethora of schools that sya - no classes in person. I can't imagine any school taking the risk of close quarters classes and , by the same token, intercollegiate sports competition..

This is not the only announcement of fall classes being online that will occur. The time is short in planning for how schools will be run, and I suspect that there will be a plethora of schools that sya - no classes in person. I can't imagine any school taking the risk of close quarters classes and , by the same token, intercollegiate sports competition..
USC? SanDiego St.?

USC is a private university, not a state school. San Diego State is in the CA system that made the announcement that they are not playing football in the fall. UCLA and "Cal" (Californians refer to it as Berkeley) are in a different system.

USC is a private university, not a state school. San Diego State is in the CA system that made the announcement that they are not playing football in the fall. UCLA and "Cal" (Californians refer to it as Berkeley) are in a different system.
Ok. so if the state of California forbids large crowds, then since USC is private , they can play? Don't think that's how that works. Sounds a lot like Illinois, where Illinois, Ill. St., SIU, and NIU and can't play but NU can. "I predict", no football in Evanston or anywhere in Illinois in 2020.

Interesting note:

Alabama plays USC in Week 1
TCU plays Cal in Week 1

Alabama and TCU are talking about playing each other if USC and Cal are shut down.

I find that idea refreshing - let every school make their own decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think you can count on Newsom ordering no football be played out here In the fall. LA just announced today that the stay home order will be in effect for at least the next three months.
Some pushback is, however, occurring. Elon Musk opened his factory.

Thanks for the add. I didn't realize they weren't part of the same system. It's true, learn something new every day!
Here's another one for you Fitzphile - all the schools in the University of California System, of which there are many, wear different versions of the same colors. They all wear blue and gold, so when UCLA plays Cal Berkeley or Cal Davis plays Cal Irvine, it looks like an intrasquad scrimmage. (I know this only because my older daughter got her PhD at Cal Santa Barbara.)

Here's another one for you Fitzphile - all the schools in the University of California System, of which there are many, wear different versions of the same colors. They all wear blue and gold, so when UCLA plays Cal Berkeley or Cal Davis plays Cal Irvine, it looks like an intrasquad scrimmage. (I know this only because my older daughter got her PhD at Cal Santa Barbara.)

Also, UCLA and Cal both have the same fight song, which Is a little disorienting when they play each other.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Just to go deeper into the minutiae, there are three FBS teams from the California State system: San Diego State, Fresno State, and San Jose State.

Wow, didn't know that either. My head is exploding.

Just to go deeper into the minutiae, there are three FBS teams from the California State system: San Diego State, Fresno State, and San Jose State.
To add to the craziness, the Cal system as two of the best mascots in college sports - the Anteaters and the Banana Slugs.

C'mon...your daughter needs to update you on how to refer to her school. UCSB or UC-Santa Barbara. If I had gone to school there, I don't think I ever would have had much motivation to graduate. Dorms directly on a beach you actually would go to? It's about the most gorgeous place to go to school that I've seen. And a great school. Kudos to your daughter!

Reactions: No Chores
The announcement was about “Cal State” schools like San Diego State, San Jose State, etc.

The UC (University of California- UCLA, “Cal”) system is a separate state education institution. I haven’t seen an announcement yet for fall sports for the UC system. As I mentioned earlier UCSD is planning to bring back students for fall quarter and will be implementing monthly testing for all 60,000+ students and staff. I don’t know the extent classes will be held in person vs via Zoom.

Last edited:
The announcement was about “Cal State” schools like San Diego State, San Jose State, etc.

The UC (University of California- UCLA, “Cal”) system is a separate state education institution. I haven’t seen an announcement yet for fall sports for the UC system. As I mentioned earlier UCSD is planning to bring back students for fall quarter and will be implementing monthly testing for all 60,000+ students and staff. On May 11th the admin has started testing students still on campus with the initial goal of testing 5000 as a trial to ramping up for fall quarter. Here is a link to an article about the “Return to Learn” program that UCSD’s Chancellor has proposed.

https://www.insidehighered.com/view...mail&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-4d7c749a29-1986080

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT