ADVERTISEMENT

No Foul on the last shot? The crowning glory

That was Boo's first official shot attempt since the 11:51 mark, and he didn't have any field goals in the last 17 minutes of the game. Not that any blame is laid at his feet, but he was completely taken out of the game by...I'm supposed to say good defense?

Reactions: Eurocat
That was the refs. They were sweating it in the start of second half as NU was winning despite them. So they swallowed their whistles and let RU play rugby. Several RU players should have been in foul trouble. The call on Boo was correct…if they call it all night both ways. But they allowed RU to mug Mart, BB, urgh…

And the last non call, against an All American that would have been three sure fire free throws.

Fvck the refs and B1G for allowing it. I still think this team makes the dance. I think it does better in the conference tourney with more eyes watching (BTN started replaying non calls - bet that gets hammered quickly).

The only legit loss we have is WI. The rest were winnable games. Count me as a believer and still firmly on the wagon. (How about the Mullins coming out party!)

Yeah it's frustrating but the ref stuff is loser talk. We shot 36%, missed layups, turned it over 14 times, gave up 2 double-digit leads, went 1-on-1 way too often, too many ill-advised drives to nowhere by Martinelli and Barnhizer, MN getting stuffed by a guy a foot shorter than him, 2 missed front-ends. Officials were rough but there were enough opportunities out there.

Yeah it's frustrating but the ref stuff is loser talk. We shot 36%, missed layups, turned it over 14 times, gave up 2 double-digit leads, went 1-on-1 way too often, too many ill-advised drives to nowhere by Martinelli and Barnhizer, MN getting stuffed by a guy a foot shorter than him, 2 missed front-ends. Officials were rough but there were enough opportunities out there.
The refs unjustifiably took a key guy out of our lineup for virtually the entire game. Kudos to us for hanging in there close. But it’s not loser talk.

All that is true but the Rutgers center intentionally kicked Mullins. He only got a flagrant 1. Langbord is double teamed and tries to get a little space. He did no worse and certainly much less and he gets a flagrant 2. Those two calls effectively made the difference in the game. And Boo was fouled on the last play but no call. We were robbed.

I would normally agree. But the last no call changed the outcome. Period.

And the two flagrants and how they were handled also changed the game.

And not making some calls that would have pushed some of their guys to play more careful would have led to points and less turnovers.

I hate blaming the refs as much as I hate blaming admissions. But this season has been ridiculous. We now have two games that undeniably would be wins but for the refs. The guys are playing the card dealt - human limitations. This is on the refs and the B1G.

Anyone that watches the replay, curious how many, if any, fouls that one bald ref called on RU. He also looked like he had to be cajoled back to monitor to agree on the RU flagrant. The guy is a terrible ref.

The amount of contact the refs allowed, often blatantly on the dribble, was like looking at what Purdue fans imagine every one of their games being.

Reactions: Hkjb
The refs unjustifiably took a key guy out of our lineup for virtually the entire game. Kudos to us for hanging in there close. But it’s not loser talk.
If Langborg stays in the game, Mullins doesn't play. Would Langborg have given us more than Mullins did on both ends? Maybe, maybe not.

The fact remains that we were up 42-31 and 51-44 without Langborg and didn't get it done.

Reactions: phatcat
If Langborg stays in the game, Mullins doesn't play. Would Langborg have given us more than Mullins did on both ends? Maybe, maybe not.

The fact remains that we were up 42-31 and 51-44 without Langborg and didn't get it done.
Based on the entire season and the first part of that game, I would say yes - Langborg would have given us more.

I would normally agree. But the last no call changed the outcome. Period.

And the two flagrants and how they were handled also changed the game.

And not making some calls that would have pushed some of their guys to play more careful would have led to points and less turnovers.

I hate blaming the refs as much as I hate blaming admissions. But this season has been ridiculous. We now have two games that undeniably would be wins but for the refs. The guys are playing the card dealt - human limitations. This is on the refs and the B1G.
Yeah, both flagrants should have been flagrant 1s. It altered the game, no doubt. But even given that, we were in good position to win with better possessions

We made exactly ONE shot from the field in the last 9:47 of the game (Barnhizer's 3 with about 90 seconds left).

The last shot was a foul but how often is that called in that spot? 10% of the time? 20? The Langborg play is much more egregious to me, the last shot is more of a run-of-the-mill swallowed whistle.

Absolutely. And particularly at the end of the game. Langborg is comfortable taking big shots. Mullins did great but he’s no threat except on wide open looks and he wasn’t going to draw a defender away from Boo. You can’t give Langborg any room, so he spaces the floor much better.

Yeah, both flagrants should have been flagrant 1s. It altered the game, no doubt. But even given that, we were in good position to win with better possessions

We made exactly ONE shot from the field in the last 9:47 of the game (Barnhizer's 3 with about 90 seconds left).

The last shot was a foul but how often is that called in that spot? 10% of the time? 20? The Langborg play is much more egregious to me, the last shot is more of a run-of-the-mill swallowed whistle.
If the player’s name is Edey? 100% of the time

Reactions: Secho99
Absolutely. And particularly at the end of the game. Langborg is comfortable taking big shots. Mullins did great but he’s no threat except on wide open looks and he wasn’t going to draw a defender away from Boo. You can’t give Langborg any room, so he spaces the floor much better.
I run Boo, BB, Mart, Lang and Hunger. All can hit the three. Center left MN because his two point threat under the basket is meaningless.

Reactions: drewjin
Omoruyi stayed in the lane. It was somebody else that doubled Buie.

Watching the game with my wife, she said "Who do you want to take the shot?"
I said "Well, I want Buie to take the shot but they'd be crazy not to double him, so they will double him. I would look for Martinelli."
They doubled Buie. Barnhizer threw it to Buie.
Martinelli was wide open to Barnhizer's right.

I said "Well, I want Buie to take the shot but they'd be crazy not to double him, so they will double him. I would look for Martinelli."
Barnhizer missed a wide open Buie on a play just before that. I also think having Langford takes some pressure off of Brooks. They knew who our best offensive players left on the court were.

Also, Langford is another good option to bring the ball up the court and beat the press.

All that is true but the Rutgers center intentionally kicked Mullins. He only got a flagrant 1. Langbord is double teamed and tries to get a little space. He did no worse and certainly much less and he gets a flagrant 2. Those two calls effectively made the difference in the game. And Boo was fouled on the last play but no call. We were robbed.
Rutgers was mugging guys all game long and it rarely got called

Reactions: IGNORE2
That was the refs. They were sweating it in the start of second half as NU was winning despite them. So they swallowed their whistles and let RU play rugby. Several RU players should have been in foul trouble. The call on Boo was correct…if they call it all night both ways. But they allowed RU to mug Mart, BB, urgh…

And the last non call, against an All American that would have been three sure fire free throws.

Fvck the refs and B1G for allowing it. I still think this team makes the dance. I think it does better in the conference tourney with more eyes watching (BTN started replaying non calls - bet that gets hammered quickly).

The only legit loss we have is WI. The rest were winnable games. Count me as a believer and still firmly on the wagon. (How about the Mullins coming out party!)
They were mugging NU the entire game. Their cheerleading HC was in their ear influencing the calls and they intimated by the loud crowd.

Reactions: hdhntr1

Mullins was going to play tonight no matter what. There was a message to Mullins to get his head in gear. He understood the message and showed the effort in practice earning him his shot. Collin’s new with Berry going down that he was going to have to get production out of Mullins to end the season and made a coaching call. Didn’t lead to the win yesterday but good call coach. Good on you Mullins for answering the call and flashing a ton last night. Good energy, good shot selection, your blocks were fun to watch as well.

I thought Hunger would be wide open. Use Boo as a decoy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT