ADVERTISEMENT

No fun for Kafka in NY

Looks like Mike is on his way out.....

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/202...afka-unhappy-may-want-out-of-east-rutherford/

“Mike Kafka, the more I hear, the less likely it is — and I know he’s still there now — even if he doesn’t get a head coaching job, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Giants let him out and he ends up somewhere else anyway,” Raanan said. “He’s unhappy.” [Raanan is ESPN reporter]
On a more positive note: he’s interviewed for the Seattle HC role.

But what do we freeloaders care? We get what we pay for.

Not like things were in KC.

Good Luck, MK - find a gig where you're wanted.

If MK cannot land a head coaching job, maybe the Bears should hire him as their new OC(instead of QB coach). OTOH for his mental health somewhere other than Da Bears would be better for Mike

If MK cannot land a head coaching job, maybe the Bears should hire him as their new OC(instead of QB coach). OTOH for his mental health somewhere other than Da Bears would be better for Mike
Bears have game changing picks this year, young talent. Maybe Kafka can be Fields’s QB whisperer and bring them to the promised land.

Reactions: mickbula
I think Mike would be a great mentor to Justin Herbert as the Chargers HC, but supposedly the Chargers are negotiating to bring Harbaugh back to the Chargers where he was a qb (he also was HC at University of San Diego where he started his coaching career). I would love to see Mike with the Chargers except for the continuing clown show that is the Spanos family ownership of the Chargers. Also would love Mike make a Harbaugh-like move back to his alma mater sometime in his coaching career. I don’t think we’d have any problems recruiting quarterbacks with someone of his stature at the helm.

I think Mike would be a great mentor to Justin Herbert as the Chargers HC, but supposedly the Chargers are negotiating to bring Harbaugh back to the Chargers where he was a qb (he also was HC at University of San Diego where he started his coaching career). I would love to see Mike with the Chargers except for the continuing clown show that is the Spanos family ownership of the Chargers. Also would love Mike make a Harbaugh-like move back to his alma mater sometime in his coaching career. I don’t think we’d have any problems recruiting quarterbacks with someone of his stature at the helm.
Chargers would be a bad place to go right now. They are in a Salary Cap nightmare. And they will always still be the Chargers.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat

The Bears seem pretty intent on hiring someone off the Shanahan coaching tree, even though Poles clearly has ties to Andy Reid.

He’s not coming back to NU unless something changes drastically. He’s a pro coach.

Chargers would be a bad place to go right now. They are in a Salary Cap nightmare. And they will always still be the Chargers.
I totally agree. The Spanos family are totally inept owners. But I do think Mike as a mentor to any qb would be a plus and would boost Herbert to an even higher level. The Chargers have an organizational issue the it is embedded with family leadership that are dragging down the franchise. I am a big fan of Justin Herbert and think he has potential to take the right team/organization all the way to the Super Bowl. I think Rashawn Slater is still a top tackle but I think he had a rough year coming off his severe bicep injury from the prior year. Hopefully he will return to top form this year.

Mike returning to NU in any capacity would be a dream. I agree he is a pro coach but we can dream, can’t we?😊

Last edited:

It won’t be “fun,” but the Chargers can fix their cap situation pretty easily:

1) Cut Mike Williams — $20MM savings after $12.5MM dead cap hit
2) Cory Linsley likely retirement — $14.1MM cap hit off the books
3) Restructure and/or extend Khalil Mack ($38.5MM cap hit in last year of his deal), Joey Bosa (2 years left at $36.6MM and $33MM), and/or Keenan Allen ($34.7MM cap hit in last year of his deal); between those three guys you could probably manufacture at least $50MM of cap space

That set of moves gets you ~$75MM of cap space, putting them at ~$220MM vs. a ~$250MM cap number.

Manufacturing more cap space after that is even less “fun” (such as cutting Eric Kendricks to save ~$6.5MM), but it’s certainly not an impossible task.

I totally agree. The Spanos family are totally inept owners. But I do think Mike as a mentor to any qb would be a plus and would boost Herbert to an even higher level. The Chargers have an organizational issue the it is embedded with family leadership that are dragging down the franchise. I am a big fan of Justin Herbert and think he has potential to take the right team/organization all the way to the Super Bowl. I think Rashad Slater is still a top tackle but I think he had a rough year coming off his severe bicep injury from the prior year. Hopefully he will return to top form this year.

Mike returning to NU in any capacity would be a dream. I agree he is a pro coach but we can dream, can’t we?😊

1) Rashawn not Rashad

2) Even in his “rough year,” he’s generally rated out as a top-20 tackle in the league (both RT and LT). He’ll be one of the best pass-blocking LTs in the league for a while, in line for a large payday once his rookie contract is up in 2026 (the Chargers will pick up his 5th year for 2025).

Unless he’s forced out of New York, it would be career suicide to leave an NFL OC spot for an NFL QB coach spot.
He can’t go back to NY given the circumstances. Daboll is a train wreck. Funny that meathead Bears fans were criticizing Piles last year for not hiring him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT