ADVERTISEMENT

Norris Lawn Renovations

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yes, a bar will be returning to Norris! Good timing with possible football games on the lake.

They’ve made a lot of improvements but it’s so ugly and not central. I wish they’d just tear it down and build a legit centrally located student center where Jacobs is.

Yes, a bar will be returning to Norris! Good timing with possible football games on the lake.

So… not only will we be trying to build a football stadium on the lakefront to host football games, there will also be construction that likely constricts the only way into the stadium area coming from the south.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
So… not only will we be trying to build a football stadium on the lakefront to host football games, there will also be construction that likely constricts the only way into the stadium area coming from the south.

What could possibly go wrong?
You’d probably take campus drive or walk from the parking garage to the lake fill to enter from the south. It doesn’t really make sense to walk on the lawn side of Norris.

You’d probably take campus drive or walk from the parking garage to the lake fill to enter from the south. It doesn’t really make sense to walk on the lawn side of Norris.

Foot traffic shouldn’t be materially impacted — they can either divert through the main part of campus or over onto the lake fill and approach the area from the south.

The bigger issue is that literally the only other road that connects off campus to the south (Campus Drive) will likely be impacted by whatever construction is happening on Norris. To say nothing of potential security concerns in having a stream of cars running basically the length of campus from the south to the north. That means that the entrance off Lincoln on the north end of campus is the one and only way to get vehicles (whether personal or shuttle) into the direct vicinity of the stadium. Sure you could have shuttles drop people on Sheridan and walk east to the area, but I doubt Evanston would be thrilled at having Sheridan blocked off or otherwise impeded for any period of time.

Yet another example of the granular details that have to be worked through to host lakefront games where, frankly, I think there’s a zero percent chance this NU administration can pull off in less than 5 months. AND we just made it harder on ourselves with a separate construction process.

I love that the article says the original bar closed down due to "low sales". There were low sales, b/ there were unlimited keg parties at all the fraternities during that time and no need to go anywhere else. 🤣 Will be different now.

Last edited:
Foot traffic shouldn’t be materially impacted — they can either divert through the main part of campus or over onto the lake fill and approach the area from the south.

The bigger issue is that literally the only other road that connects off campus to the south (Campus Drive) will likely be impacted by whatever construction is happening on Norris. To say nothing of potential security concerns in having a stream of cars running basically the length of campus from the south to the north. That means that the entrance off Lincoln on the north end of campus is the one and only way to get vehicles (whether personal or shuttle) into the direct vicinity of the stadium. Sure you could have shuttles drop people on Sheridan and walk east to the area, but I doubt Evanston would be thrilled at having Sheridan blocked off or otherwise impeded for any period of time.

Yet another example of the granular details that have to be worked through to host lakefront games where, frankly, I think there’s a zero percent chance this NU administration can pull off in less than 5 months. AND we just made it harder on ourselves with a separate construction process.

Okay but that concern is generally more about south car traffic. I’m assuming the Noris construction crew can move trucks to the side for 4 Saturdays lol. But setting that aside: you could restrict traffic to certain types of vehicles for the game (eg food trucks and other setup) on south campus drive and could easily use the Segal/south campus parking lots/garages for parking, from which people can walk. It’s conservatively a 20 min walk which is not that much crazier than Central Purple Line to Ryan Field. Handicap, media, and VIP parking in the lots next to the stadium.

There’s a ton of street parking too as you know both west and south of campus. Parking garage at maple and church to Davis purple line. Shuttles from Ryan Field West lot. Additional parking at the tailgate overflow lot on Sheridan across from tech.

It’s not “easy” but there are options.

Let’s also not forget our average attendance was like 25k last year, including in conference and that seems generous. Under 15k for the home opener against UTEP and we’re talking 15k max for these games, right? Not everyone drives to Ryan Field or parks in the lots.

Okay but that concern is generally more about south car traffic. I’m assuming the Noris construction crew can move trucks to the side for 4 Saturdays lol. But setting that aside: you could restrict traffic to certain types of vehicles for the game (eg food trucks and other setup) on south campus drive and could easily use the Segal/south campus parking lots/garages for parking, from which people can walk. It’s conservatively a 20 min walk which is not that much crazier than Central Purple Line to Ryan Field. Handicap, media, and VIP parking in the lots next to the stadium.

There’s a ton of street parking too as you know both west and south of campus. Parking garage at maple and church to Davis purple line. Shuttles from Ryan Field West lot. Additional parking at the tailgate overflow lot on Sheridan across from tech.

It’s not “easy” but there are options.

Let’s also not forget our average attendance was like 25k last year, including in conference and that seems generous. Under 15k for the home opener against UTEP and we’re talking 15k max for these games, right? Not everyone drives to Ryan Field or parks in the lots.

Right… but my whole point is that any such restrictions mean that there’s no way to “flow” traffic, leaving just the north entrance for all kind of vehicular traffic. Which is recipe for a complete shit show.

I love that the article says the original bar closed down due to "low sales". There were low sales, b/ there were unlimited keg parties at all the fraternities during that time and no need to go anywhere else. 🤣 Will be different now.

If I remember right, when the bar opened in Norris, it was called the Norris Bar.
That was cool.
Then they re-modeled it, re-named it "The Gathering Place" and it was lame.

But your point about frat parties is spot on.

This article and video brought back some memories

Reactions: BarefootCat
Right… but my whole point is that any such restrictions mean that there’s no way to “flow” traffic, leaving just the north entrance for all kind of vehicular traffic. Which is recipe for a complete shit show.
Sounds to me like most people won’t be parking on campus.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Not going to happen, but they should just demolish Norris and the library and build something much more aesthetically pleasing.

During my years, barely spent any time in either place.

• Love
Biggest problem is that renovating Norris is a tough project to raise money for...

That's pretty much why it's always been so far down the list.

Hard to find a rich donor who'll say "the student center is my pet project!" as opposed to some particular passion project in a specific area of academics or athletics.

Last estimate I saw was $140 million for a rebuild of Norris and donor interest was nowhere near enough to justify that.

• Wow
Funny thing was in my senior year I was in a play in the theater building. It was a very odd play with about 16 actors in the first act, but after intermission it was just two actors just talking to each other. So we started going to Norris to drink (Norris was 50 feet from our back door in the theater) while the second act was taking place, I mean, there is nothing to do in dressing rooms for the most part, (this was years before the internet where you could surf). It started getting crazier and crazier where by the end of the run some of us had problems not falling down flat on our faces when we returned to take the bows. Twice we hit it off war Gathering Place patrons and invited them to take the bows with us. Ah college pranks....

• Love
Not going to happen, but they should just demolish Norris and the library and build something much more aesthetically pleasing.

During my years, barely spent any time in either place.
I’m not as against brutalism as many — and there are good and bad examples — (UChicago’s is better but I find our main library to be cool) but there are so few windows facing east at Norris which is insane. It’s also a student center that is not centralized on what is effectively a north-south linear campus. I’ve posted this before but the Jacobs Center site (old Kellogg) would be an amazing place for a student center.

A lot of work to demo but that feels like a really big positive impact for students.

I’m not as against brutalism as many — and there are good and bad examples — (UChicago’s is better but I find our main library to be cool) but there are so few windows facing east at Norris which is insane. It’s also a student center that is not centralized on what is effectively a north-south linear campus. I’ve posted this before but the Jacobs Center site (old Kellogg) would be an amazing place for a student center.

A lot of work to demo but that feels like a really big positive impact for students.

That's a great idea. That building would be demolished and history in less than a month. What is the Jacobs Center used for now? I remember when that building was built. Was never a fan. Like placing a Chicago suburban office building on the central University gathering place next to a historically significant architectural gem in Deering Library. Dumb but consistent with Northwestern's historically consistent (until recently) practice of letting donations define the quality and architecture of the facilities. When donation levels were lower, the buildings were for the most part awful. Can't touch that endowment. Also, I believe the lack of significant visual/physical arts programs left the choices in the hands of the unqualified - accountants, business types, attorneys and engineers.

That's a great idea. That building would be demolished and history in less than a month. What is the Jacobs Center used for now? I remember when that building was built. Was never a fan. Like placing a Chicago suburban office building on the central University gathering place next to a historically significant architectural gem in Deering Library. Dumb but consistent with Northwestern's historically consistent (until recently) practice of letting donations define the quality and architecture of the facilities. When donation levels were lower, the buildings were for the most part awful. Can't touch that endowment. Also, I believe the lack of significant visual/physical arts programs left the choices in the hands of the unqualified - accountants, business types, attorneys and engineers.
I really cannot stand the Jacobs Center design either. Rumor has it that it hurt Kellogg’s ranking and I agree it did not align with a top business school.

I’m not positive but I think the Econ department is still there. I’d imagine Owen Coon Forum is still in use for speakers but can’t picture the entire building being at full capacity.

I really cannot stand the Jacobs Center design either. Rumor has it that it hurt Kellogg’s ranking and I agree it did not align with a top business school.

I’m not positive but I think the Econ department is still there. I’d imagine Owen Coon Forum is still in use for speakers but can’t picture the entire building being at full capacity.
I guess the news about Jacobs Center rebuild isn't as prominent as other projects....

Jacobs Center renovation will create collaborative space to address pressing societal issues
LINK
The project will be home to scholars from the School of Education and Social Policy (SESP), several departments within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, the Roberta Buffett Institute for Global Affairs and the Institute for Policy Research (IPR), as well as the Weinberg College Center for International and Area Studies and Weinberg College’s Program in Global Health Studies.

west1940__FitMaxWzk3MCw2NTBd.jpg

Maybe they could fit in a beer and wine bar on the first floor with outdoor seating. Just kidding - sort of.

Funny thing was in my senior year I was in a play in the theater building. It was a very odd play with about 16 actors in the first act, but after intermission it was just two actors just talking to each other. So we started going to Norris to drink (Norris was 50 feet from our back door in the theater) while the second act was taking place, I mean, there is nothing to do in dressing rooms for the most part, (this was years before the internet where you could surf). It started getting crazier and crazier where by the end of the run some of us had problems not falling down flat on our faces when we returned to take the bows. Twice we hit it off war Gathering Place patrons and invited them to take the bows with us. Ah college pranks....
As somebody who was also involved in some theatrical productions at NU that involved me being fairly blitzed on stage, I great appreciated this story.

I guess the news about Jacobs Center rebuild isn't as prominent as other projects....

Jacobs Center renovation will create collaborative space to address pressing societal issues
LINK
The project will be home to scholars from the School of Education and Social Policy (SESP), several departments within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, the Roberta Buffett Institute for Global Affairs and the Institute for Policy Research (IPR), as well as the Weinberg College Center for International and Area Studies and Weinberg College’s Program in Global Health Studies.

west1940__FitMaxWzk3MCw2NTBd.jpg
This looks.. remarkably the same.

Don't agree that the Lib is a good/cool example of brutalism.

Not a fan of the architecture of RCC either, but at least it has some distinguishing features.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT