ADVERTISEMENT

"Northwestern is overrated" - Braden Gall

LACatFan

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
While nearing the end of a long road trip yesterday, I tuned into College Sports Nation on Sirius/XM to hear live coverage of the Selection Committee's playoff picks. Apparently this was during a show hosted by Braden Gall, of Athlon Sports, so he provided the color commentary, real time.

For those of you who didn't hear it, Braden was fine with the selection pics 1-13, but went off on a lengthy, disparaging and repeated rant about Northwestern being slotted at 14. Amongst other issues, he described NU as "overrated", and not deserving of a ranking ahead of Michigan, since the Wolverines had soundly beaten the Wildcats. At the same time though, this tool went on an adulatory love-fest over the Stanford Cardinal (which he described as playing erotic football.....I sh*t you not), sharing a strong (beyond man crush) conviction that the Cardinal will make it into the top-4 after this weekend's conference title games.

So let me get this straight, Graden Balls. Northwestern is overrated and undeserving of a #14 ranking, because they lost to Michigan, but the #7 ranked Cardinal, who lost to Northwestern, (a fact not mentioned during his oral diarrhea of a segment) should be cannonized and elevated to an indisputable playoff position?

By all means, don't let the facts get in the way of a weak ass argument.

But you have to remember that the NU/Stanford game doesn't actually count. It was played so long ago that it practically wasn't even this season. And it was played at 4 o'clock in the morning, which NU sprang on them only a day before the game happened. Additionally, Stanford only traveled with 11 guys for that game, so all 11 guys played both ways. And finally, I was at the game, and I can tell you that during the NU possessions, the weather was perfectly calm and beautiful. But like clockwork, every time, Stanford had the ball, a downpour started with 50-60 mph winds that lasted the duration of each of their drives. And all Bay Area football fans know how much Northwestern cheats with injuries to slow the game down, which throws all offenses off.

Therefore, the game doesn't count.

While nearing the end of a long road trip yesterday, I tuned into College Sports Nation on Sirius/XM to hear live coverage of the Selection Committee's playoff picks. Apparently this was during a show hosted by Braden Gall, of Athlon Sports, so he provided the color commentary, real time.

For those of you who didn't hear it, Braden was fine with the selection pics 1-13, but went off on a lengthy, disparaging and repeated rant about Northwestern being slotted at 14. Amongst other issues, he described NU as "overrated", and not deserving of a ranking ahead of Michigan, since the Wolverines had soundly beaten the Wildcats. At the same time though, this tool went on an adulatory love-fest over the Stanford Cardinal (which he described as playing erotic football.....I sh*t you not), sharing a strong (beyond man crush) conviction that the Cardinal will make it into the top-4 after this weekend's conference title games.

So let me get this straight, Graden Balls. Northwestern is overrated and undeserving of a #14 ranking, because they lost to Michigan, but the #7 ranked Cardinal, who lost to Northwestern, (a fact not mentioned during his oral diarrhea of a segment) should be cannonized and elevated to an indisputable playoff position?

When we win, it would be a fun exercise if you would post this again with contact information so we can all write him a nice letter with crow feathers in it.

You mean Braden Gall-Stone? Painful but easy to get rid of. Some people are jealous of NU. Perhaps he's a Michigan grad. Also painful, but difficult to get rid of. If the guy had watched all of our games, he'd know we have a mediocre (at best) offense, but we are not over-rated, relative to those we are rated against. I mean seriously, Stanford #7. If anyone is overrated it is Notre Dame--oops, I forget that having a lot of injured players allows you to keep your ranking even though you aren't playing that great.

You mean Braden Gall-Stone? Painful but easy to get rid of. Some people are jealous of NU. Perhaps he's a Michigan grad. Also painful, but difficult to get rid of. If the guy had watched all of our games, he'd know we have a mediocre (at best) offense, but we are not over-rated, relative to those we are rated against. I mean seriously, Stanford #7. If anyone is overrated it is Notre Dame--oops, I forget that having a lot of injured players allows you to keep your ranking even though you aren't playing that great.

He wasn't smart enough to get into Michigan, or any B1G school for that matter. He's a graduate (*cough, cough, cough*...) of a fine institution from the (academics first) SEC.

http://athlonsports.com/users/bradengall

While there are reasons for Mich to be rated higher than NU (38 of them) it is also true that Michigan has lost two games since they won that game. One the same day we lost to IA but more importantly one last week that they lost badly. So we are on a 5 game winning streak and they are not. Case of what have you done for me lately.

While he may have a bit of an argument when we are compared to Mich (but they lost their last game and have lost three this year compared to our two) , there are others rated better than both of us who are potentially overrated.

But you have to remember that the NU/Stanford game doesn't actually count. It was played so long ago that it practically wasn't even this season. And it was played at 4 o'clock in the morning, which NU sprang on them only a day before the game happened. Additionally, Stanford only traveled with 11 guys for that game, so all 11 guys played both ways. And finally, I was at the game, and I can tell you that during the NU possessions, the weather was perfectly calm and beautiful. But like clockwork, every time, Stanford had the ball, a downpour started with 50-60 mph winds that lasted the duration of each of their drives. And all Bay Area football fans know how much Northwestern cheats with injuries to slow the game down, which throws all offenses off.

Therefore, the game doesn't count.

Is there any way we can get a Stanford rematch? I'd take the Motor City Bowl if it meant a Stanford rematch. I am so sick of hearing all the Stanford love and Stanford excuse-making. I would love to whoop them twice in one season to shut up all these asshats once and for all.

Here's the fact: under Fitz, we have beaten ALL of our academic peers. Every single one. ND, BC, Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Rice, all of the service academies, and I'm sure there are more I can't think of at 7:30 am because according to the geniuses at Stanford, apparently human beings can't function in this world until after noon. So I have a built in excuse for anybody I omitted.

This is why WHO we play in the bowl game, as long as they are a quality opponent, is really not that important. If we win it shows that we know how to win, margin of victory is useless, wins are what count. We will always have haters because it's NU. Doesn't matter that our guys actually attend class and actually graduate, we simply aren't a football factory. We MUST win the game though otherwise the haters will have won the battle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT