ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern produces video "Positively Dr Gragg"

When I met him at an event last year he introduced himself as Dr. Gragg. My thought was “aren’t you full of yourself”.
This! I get that on LinkedIn or a resume, a person with a PHD would use "Dr." Or that others might introduce him that way when he makes a speech. But he's at an event which is presumably about connection. He's in a role which relies on being relatable to athletes, staff, and donors. And he's meeting you as an individual. He's in an athletic department role presiding over (mostly) team sports.

And yet, in that response he is saying "call me Doctor". Wonder if his wife has to do the same.
This just screams that this guy desperately seeks prestige/status, and belies that he isn't interested in much else. (and, he probably hates his first name?)

Jim Phillips would not have done the same.

Doctor: a person who holds a doctorate.

Dr. Bazz Cobalt, Master Metaphysician

I really don't have any problem with someone wishing to be addressed as "doctor" if they have any type of doctoral degree, Phd or otherwise. I have an MD. I know plenty of good people who worked very hard to obtain their Phd. A doctoral degree is a doctoral degree.
I will now refer to myself as Eurocat - Doctor of Message Boards

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
This! I get that on LinkedIn or a resume, a person with a PHD would use "Dr." Or that others might introduce him that way when he makes a speech. But he's at an event which is presumably about connection. He's in a role which relies on being relatable to athletes, staff, and donors. And he's meeting you as an individual. He's in an athletic department role presiding over (mostly) team sports.

And yet, in that response he is saying "call me Doctor". Wonder if his wife has to do the same.
This just screams that this guy desperately seeks prestige/status, and belies that he isn't interested in much else. (and, he probably hates his first name?)

Jim Phillips would not have done the same.
Exactly right. There is a time and place to throw around titles and meeting some alum/donor introducing yourself as “Doctor” screams I am better than you!

I don't mean to be harsh, but a 'damaged brand' as AD is not in our best interest as an institution, and will only harm our student athletes because it will repel talented coaches as well as donors. A puff piece on YouTube will have not fix that damage.

Can we do a poll? The question is,

"How likely is it that Dr. Gragg will EVER rehabilitate his reputation with NU"
a) very likely
b) moderately likely
c) 50/50
d) unlikely
e) cold day in hell
e) cold day in hell

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hkjb
ADVERTISEMENT