ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern publishes report by Loretta Lynch on culture of athletics

“Insularity of the Athletics Department.”

This phrase captures why I am slowly slipping away from Northwestern fandom. Yes, you may argue that student athletes at NU were always apart from the rest of the student body. You may argue that greater physical separation existed in the past than today.

However, with the mega conference, BTN money, NIL schemes, unconstrained and frequent transfers, the student-athlete experience will resemble that of the mainstream student less and less as the future unfolds.

Lynch tries to spin insularity as a good thing.

No, not a good thing.
Revenue sport athletes haven't had an experience that remotely resembles the experience of a normal student at any major school for many decades and most non-revenue scholarshipped students are similarly incomparable to a normal student unless you give that student a 40 hour a week work-study job. This has been the case for decades, pearl-wringing about it is silly and obnoxious.

Revenue sport athletes haven't had an experience that remotely resembles the experience of a normal student at any major school for many decades and most non-revenue scholarshipped students are similarly incomparable to a normal student unless you give that student a 40 hour a week work-study job. This has been the case for decades, pearl-wringing about it is silly and obnoxious.
I think you're overstating it.
Obviously, you are closer to the truth when the team is in the middle of its season, but even then, I still think you're overstating it.
Especially for non-revenue athletes.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I think you're overstating it.
Obviously, you are closer to the truth when the team is in the middle of its season, but even then, I still think you're overstating it.
Especially for non-revenue athletes.
There is generally very little intermixing between athletes and other students, especially for football and basketball but in non revenue sports as well. And I say this as someone who had friends who were student athletes in revenue and non revenue sports. I don’t think it’s anything nefarious, just has to do with the group of people you’re around. NU has well-defined cliques. “Athlete” is one.

Reactions: Just Gary
There is generally very little intermixing between athletes and other students, especially for football and basketball but in non revenue sports as well. And I say this as someone who had friends who were student athletes in revenue and non revenue sports. I don’t think it’s anything nefarious, just has to do with the group of people you’re around. NU has well-defined cliques. “Athlete” is one.
Of course their are athlete cliques. This is who you spend the majority of your time with. These are people you have a common/experience with. Been this way forever and always will be. People turning in their fan card for this should have done it 50 years ago.

Of course their are athlete cliques. This is who you spend the majority of your time with. These are people you have a common/experience with. Been this way forever and always will be. People turning in their fan card for this should have done it 50 years ago.
That’s ridiculous. I think it’s fair for people to say they don’t enjoy the new free agency rules of college and the overall sentiment that players are “for hire” for a season at a time. The growth of players on the team over 3-4 years is something many people used to enjoy about college. It’s very rare now.

Regarding NU, you’re foolish if you don’t think we’ve historically tried to put ourselves at a higher standard regarding our student athletes. We’ve done that for decades…always lifting our noses and scoffing at the OSUs and other B16 teams as our athletes were consistently stacked on the all-academic teams.

That’s ridiculous. I think it’s fair for people to say they don’t enjoy the new free agency rules of college and the overall sentiment that players are “for hire” for a season at a time. The growth of players on the team over 3-4 years is something many people used to enjoy about college. It’s very rare now.

Regarding NU, you’re foolish if you don’t think we’ve historically tried to put ourselves at a higher standard regarding our student athletes. We’ve done that for decades…always lifting our noses and scoffing at the OSUs and other B16 teams as our athletes were consistently stacked on the all-academic teams.
What’s your point of reference? We’re you a NU athlete? I can tell you that people that weren’t in a college athletics program way underestimate the amount of time you spend with teammates. Basically mandatory practice or game requirement while students are in breaks. Summer’s are all but mandatory. The population of students for My winter breaks consisted of athletes and international students. Everyone else was partying on NYE.

It’s this arrogance of “ we’ve historically tried to put ourselves at a higher standard regarding our student athletes’ that turns off local. non NU alum. It makes some people feel better around here. The facts are there are plenty of strong academic athletes at every Big Ten school. I wish I could buy into your vision of NU Shangra La, but to me it is complete BS.

When I went to NU, it was the other way. Our program was so bad that the students looked down at the athletes. Mind you the football team didn’t win a game until my senior year and the basketball team didn’t have a winning record until my senior year. I think only the women’s tennis team was good. But almost all the football players were in one fraternity and people treated those in other sports, if they see them, as having a nice hobby.

My daughter just graduated from NU a few weeks ago. I'm an alum, so we could talk about life at NU pretty easily and I'd know what she was saying.

"Maybe 25% of the people here actually care about having a social life."
(One way to not meet student-athletes is to stay in your room and the library)

"There are a lot of students who are openly anti-sorority." (she was in a sorority)
"The university has made it impossible for fraternities to operate on campus, so a few that are left have houses off campus."
"I was talking to Brooks at a party and he said..."
"Gus and Luke showed up... Big Matt was there"
"We were playing intramural softball and Nick and Parker Strauss just happened to be walking by. The other team needed players, so they both played against us" (this is co-ed softball)
"Ty Berry is over there a lot - he's a really nice guy."

Point is, the basketball team was a part of the social scene at NU the last few years. Collins' policy allowed guys to do what they wanted, within reason. Players were on party buses doing what college guys do. The football team seemed (much) less so. Female student athletes were as much a part of the school's social fabric as they wanted to be.

Thats the impression I got based on conversations, texts and photos over the years.

My daughter just graduated from NU a few weeks ago. I'm an alum, so we could talk about life at NU pretty easily and I'd know what she was saying.

"There are a lot of students who are openly anti-sorority." (she was in a sorority)
"The university has made it impossible for fraternities to operate on campus, so a few that are left have houses off campus."
"We were playing intramural softball and Nick and Parker Strauss just happened to be walking by. The other team needed players, so they both played against us" (this is co-ed softball)

Point is, the basketball team was a part of the social scene at NU the last few years. Collins' policy allowed guys to do what they wanted, within reason. Players were on party buses doing what college guys do. The football team seemed (much) less so. Female student athletes were as much a part of the school's social fabric as they wanted to be.

Thats the impression I got based on conversations, texts and photos over the years.
Yes, this makes perfect sense. Athletes generally integrate into the social fabric as much as they have the time to do so. That’s the key, there isn’t that much time to do so. Sure, party scene every now and then, but you usually aren’t part of many other extracurricular activities.

Point is, they tend to be closest with their teammates because of shared experiences. Totally normal and has been that way for a long time. Even in the examples you provide, Nick was with Parker, Gus with Luke and Big Matt. They didn’t attend these gatherings with 3 Jamokes from their floor in their freshman dorm. If you are a non-revenue athlete it’s likely 90% of the students at that gathering wouldn’t even know you were an athlete. So like any other student you can integrate as much as you can handle time wise. My ire was stirred when it was claimed this is somehow either a new thing or patently undesirable! That’s silly and unrealistic.

NU is coming out of this looking awful. I hope Fitz gets as much $$ as he possibly can. They did him so dirty after he dedicated his life to the school.
Fitz getting money is money out of our future NIL program (once the law turns that over to the school) and the coffers of our athletic programs. I hope Fitz gets nothing. I’m thankful for his contributions, while disapproving of his future wearing Hawkeye Black & Gold, but either way at some point I don’t feel sorry for a guy who can buy as many houses and cars as he wants already and would rather that our athletic programs don’t suffer from a big payout.

Fitz getting money is money out of our future NIL program (once the law turns that over to the school) and the coffers of our athletic programs. I hope Fitz gets nothing. I’m thankful for his contributions, while disapproving of his future wearing Hawkeye Black & Gold, but either way at some point I don’t feel sorry for a guy who can buy as many houses and cars as he wants already and would rather that our athletic programs don’t suffer from a big payout.
What you want and what will happen are 2 very different things. Fitz will be getting tens of millions of dollars from the university. That’s is a virtual certainty.

What you want and what will happen are 2 very different things. Fitz will be getting tens of millions of dollars from the university. That’s is a virtual certaintgpwith with future on in in the lay to reat sport to a y.Thx
Yeah I know. Just saying

Star male athletes wanting to hang out with sorority girls is evergreen, and I’m sure your daughter is lovely. That isn’t exactly what I meant…

If firing Fitz they way they did violated the terms of his contract, then I hope he gets paid every penny that he's owed. Contracts and oaths and handshakes used to mean something. Are you not a man of honor?

If firing Fitz they way they did violated the terms of his contract, then I hope he gets paid every penny that he's owed. Contracts and oaths and handshakes used to mean something. Are you not a man of honor?
I think most objective observers who have read the contract are expecting Fitzgerald to get paid.
At some point NU has to man up and honor commitments Philips made.
Unless they can prove Fitz was ordering guys on the team to "run" specific players.
Proof, not "seems like it, maybe."
Everything else I heard about, including the annual carwash ritual, is a big fat zero for me.

Schill's integrity is on trial here.

Reactions: NJCat
What’s your point of reference? We’re you a NU athlete? I can tell you that people that weren’t in a college athletics program way underestimate the amount of time you spend with teammates. Basically mandatory practice or game requirement while students are in breaks. Summer’s are all but mandatory. The population of students for My winter breaks consisted of athletes and international students. Everyone else was partying on NYE.

It’s this arrogance of “ we’ve historically tried to put ourselves at a higher standard regarding our student athletes’ that turns off local. non NU alum. It makes some people feel better around here. The facts are there are plenty of strong academic athletes at every Big Ten school. I wish I could buy into your vision of NU Shangra La, but to me it is complete BS.
1) It’s definitely true that we hold ourselves to a higher standard… and we live it! Look at the academic awards, the fact we don’t take “minimum qualifiers” (like every other B1G schools including good academic schools overall like Wisconsin and Michigan) and the fact our players almost never get in trouble with the law. Who was the last football player who did? That DT in 2013 who sold coke? And 2) I don’t think it turns anyone off. I think it actually brings people in because they want to root for something “good”/“old school” in the ever-changing semi-pro landscape of college sports. Also, regarding #2, I’m a local, non-alum fan and have always been attracted to NU because of that and I personally know two more local, non-alum who would say the same. Let’s not over analyze this. NU still does it the right way despite how college sports is changing - for the worse in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT