ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Record Book trivia

Which player holds NU's record for the highest Field Goal % in a single season, minimum 100 FGA

• Evan Eschmeyer

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Billy McKinney

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • John Shurna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Rankin

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Shon Morris

• Dererk Pardon

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Alex Olah

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Pete Nance

• Ryan Young

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Matt Nicholson

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I have to guess it's Pardon. Esch was great, but when I was watching him the opponents' triple teams limited his success to a small degree.
This was exactly why I picked Pardon, who was rarely the focal point of the defense so he had a lot of high-percentage shots.

Since this is really just a trivia question and not a "poll" I thought I'd post info about the incorrect answers...

John Shurna topped out at 48.1% in the 2010-11 season, in which he also shot 43.4 from 3 point range.
So far everybody knew he was not the record holder for FG% at NU...
But just a damned good player.

Billy McKinney topped out at 47.4% in his freshman year. He scored more points per game every year, but our opponents focused more on stopping him, so his FG% edged slightly lower. He drew 1 vote.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Shon Morris was great as a sophomore in 1985-86, averaging 16 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, shooting 51.5% from the field, playing 33+ minutes per game.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Pete Nance had a very strong senior year in 2021-22 at Northwestern (on the offensive end).
He shot 49.7% overall, highlighted by a phenomenal 45.2% from outside the 3 point arc.
No one has voted for him so far.

Kevin Rankin had an excellent career at Northwestern, starting for 4 years.
As a junior in 1992-93, he shot 52.3% from the floor, playing 33 minutes a night, averaging 15.3 points and 8.3 rebounds per game.
He is 10th on the NU career scoring list, 2nd in career rebounds and 4th in career blocks.
He may have been the slowest Northwestern player of the modern era, especially when he was tired.
He has received 2 votes.

Pete Nance had a very strong senior year in 2021-22 at Northwestern (on the offensive end).
He shot 49.7% overall, highlighted by a phenomenal 45.2% from outside the 3 point arc.
No one has voted for him so far.

Kevin Rankin had an excellent career at Northwestern, starting for 4 years.
As a junior in 1992-93, he shot 52.3% from the floor, playing 33 minutes a night, averaging 15.3 points and 8.3 rebounds per game.
He is 10th on the NU career scoring list and 2nd in career rebounds.
He may have been the slowest Northwestern player of the modern era, especially when he was tired.
I wanted to vote for Rankin, as he's one of my all-time favorites, but I knew it wouldn't be him. Also, there is a character actor named Kevin Rankin, and last time I saw the basketball player at a tailgate, I dorkily yelled out, "loved you in Breaking Bad!"

Alex Olah played for Coach Bill Carmody for one season before Carmody was terminated and replaced with Chris Collins.
Olah's productivity improved somewhat in each of his 4 years as NU's starting center.
In his senior season, he missed several weeks due to a foot injury, but shot 52.5% from the floor while averaging 11.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in about 24 minutes per game.

He has picked up 4 votes thus far...

Minimum 100 field goal attempts?

Some our best "key kickers" were far below that because they did not to need so many field goals. We were punching in touchdowns.

How many field goals did Bryan Huffman kick in 2004? We were really scoring touchdowns back then. But when could do, boom punch three points.,

He won some games for us. Brian didn't kick 100 kids for us.

Minimum 100 field goal attempts?

Some our best "key kickers" were far below that because they did not to need so many field goals. We were punching in touchdowns.

How many field goals did Bryan Huffman kick in 2004? We were really scoring touchdowns back then. But when could do, boom punch three points.,

He won some games for us. Brian didn't kick 100 times for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT