ADVERTISEMENT

Really good X thread on the fan base/temp stadium ticket situation

The decision has been made. It’s the “extra revenue” and after asking Northwestern fans-alumnus/STHs to pay (and they decline), NU will offer the tickets to people willing to pay -period.

The problem with all of this “woe is me, the STH” is the reality that Northwestern stood by and watched money fly away and is now doing something about it. The season ticket holder who bought (inexpensively -relatively-a few years ago) and then sold individual games at a major profit, without NU getting a portion of that transaction. Hell, season tickets were so cheap, a large percentage of STH were already Iowa. Nebraska and other fans who saw a schedule like 2018 as an opportunity to make some serious money. (Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Notre Dame all on the home schedule)

Now, tickets are digital, Northwestern will get the identity of the person buying the tickets and by pushing SestGeek, not only gets the upfront payment from Seat Geek (for being “official ticket partner” , but is likely earning a percentage of every “fee” added to the ticket cost.

Smaller stadium, tighter supply and visiting fan bases to Chicago will create the demand. Northwestern is getting paid and doesn’t give a shit about what color shirt the buyers are wearing.
Bingo, no matter what colors the person wears, NU is getting paid. Various threads over the past few seasons have touched on why NU fandom hasn't really grown. It will be naturally harder for a private university to grow a fanbase, when a minority of the student body is from Illinois on top of the fact that NU enrollment is a fraction of that of the B1G public universities. The alumni association is strong, but is spread out all over the place.

We have to rectify this going forward. And quickly once the regular season concludes. We are losing casual/local fans who have/will pick up Northwestern as their “second team.”

Part of our fan base, because of our lack of success over the totality of the program and the size of the school/focus (academics) of the school, is going to be “fly by” casual fans and they are not going to pony up $85 each for the worst tickets in the house! We need to have a $45-50 each “basic” ST package that those folks will buy. The people on this board will be there no matter what but that’s not enough to sustain a major CFB fan base.

And it all get worse when the new stadium seats 30k as oppposed to good old Ryan which seated 50k. Now we are cutting it down to 30k.

But when I complained about this on this very message board I got attacked was to told so shut up because people said "finally we will have home field advantage". I said Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State fans will just buy up all the seats. But nobody listens to me sigh. Oh well.

Last edited:
And it all get worse when the new stadium seats 30k as oppposed to good old Ryan which seated 50k. Now we are cutting it down to 30k.

But when I complained about this on this very message board I got attacked was to told so shut up because people said "finally we will have home field advantage". I said Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State fans will just buy up all the seats. But nobody listens to me sigh. Oh well.
Huh. So let me get this straight, since we can’t fill up a 35k seat with NU fans, you claim that we might as well get a 50k seat stadium that will be full of OSU, PSU and Michigan fans? The more the merrier approach. Sure you don’t work for the game day operations team at NU?

• Haha
Reactions: ricko654321
The decision has been made. It’s the “extra revenue” and after asking Northwestern fans-alumnus/STHs to pay (and they decline), NU will offer the tickets to people willing to pay -period.

The problem with all of this “woe is me, the STH” is the reality that Northwestern stood by and watched money fly away and is now doing something about it. The season ticket holder who bought (inexpensively -relatively-a few years ago) and then sold individual games at a major profit, without NU getting a portion of that transaction. Hell, season tickets were so cheap, a large percentage of STH were already Iowa. Nebraska and other fans who saw a schedule like 2018 as an opportunity to make some serious money. (Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Notre Dame all on the home schedule)

Now, tickets are digital, Northwestern will get the identity of the person buying the tickets and by pushing SestGeek, not only gets the upfront payment from Seat Geek (for being “official ticket partner” , but is likely earning a percentage of every “fee” added to the ticket cost.

Smaller stadium, tighter supply and visiting fan bases to Chicago will create the demand. Northwestern is getting paid and doesn’t give a shit about what color shirt the buyers are wearing.
If this is what NU does, it would be extremely short sighted. It would be detrimental to developing a winning culture and recruiting top notch players. A vicious cycle.

What percentage of revenues is earned from game day operations? I’d imagine that percentage is shrinking with the influx of TV money.

I think NU does give a shit on what color shirt the fans wear. The problem is the they need to pay more money to talented marketing and sales professionals that can develop an actual successful business model instead of being cheap and hiring fresh faced inexperienced kids.

What percentage of revenues is earned from game day operations? I’d imagine that percentage is shrinking with the influx of TV money.
100% this.

I think NU does give a shit on what color shirt the fans wear. The problem is the they need to pay more money to talented marketing and sales professionals that can develop an actual successful business model instead of being cheap and hiring fresh faced inexperienced kids.
I think this depends on who you ask. I think Phillips cared a lot, and I bet he was instrumental in downsizing the # of seats in the stadium knowing that the more seats there are, the more fans from Iowa, Ohio State, and our other B1G relatives in the midwest/driving distance will come for their periodic weekend in Chicago. I think his goal was to downsize, get purple butts in seats and keep them there. Perhaps with a different sitting president or AD at the time this call was made, they would've opted for 50K+ and gladly taken the money from visiting fans at the detriment of program optics.

Reactions: ricko654321
I think his goal was to downsize, get purple butts in seats and keep them there

Downsize? Check.

Get purple butts in seats and keep them there? Fail.

With apologies for rehashing this for the upteenth time. IU was guaranteed 2,000 (by big10 rule [exception made in ‘24&25 to reduce from 3 to 2k]). That meant, the crowd should have been 5/1 Northwestern. Either, a) northwestern could not sell <10,000 seats to its own fans (in a one-of-a-kind visual setting) to a conference game…or b). Northwestern fans had the tickets and sold them to someone willing to pay the asking price* (probably wearing red).

Why will this be any different in a stadium where NU is selling 32k seats (capacity minus visitor allotment) vs the current venue less than one third the size?

*. Using a ticket service in partnership with NU. Northwestern understands exactly how this works and, signified by its partnership, endorses it.

If this is what NU does, it would be extremely short sighted. It would be detrimental to developing a winning culture and recruiting top notch players. A vicious cycle.

No. The most important hire in the stadium project is the agency that will be booking the event entertainment. Demand for football is well-established and small. Without fielding a consistently winning team, something that in the NIL era and the expanded B1G is effectively impossible for NU, game tickets will always generate but peanuts.

Luxury boxes are the real cash cow and the main focus. Those will sell at high prices based on the full year entertainment package. Six initial mega concerts growing to 15 in five years, toss in 6 football games, various smaller concerts and other events to make luxury boxes a significant new revenue stream for NU. That is their plan.

They won’t be wasting time cultivating and serving 15,000 season ticket holders who pay $250 per game ticket. They will be laser focused on attracting the acts that will lead to folks paying several orders of magnitude more to enjoy them in style with the appetizers, aperitifs and dessert carts rolling by.

No. The most important hire in the stadium project is the agency that will be booking the event entertainment. Demand for football is well-established and small. Without fielding a consistently winning team, something that in the NIL era and the expanded B1G is effectively impossible for NU, game tickets will always generate but peanuts.

Luxury boxes are the real cash cow and the main focus. Those will sell at high prices based on the full year entertainment package. Six initial mega concerts growing to 15 in five years, toss in 6 football games, various smaller concerts and other events to make luxury boxes a significant new revenue stream for NU. That is their plan.

They won’t be wasting time cultivating and serving 15,000 season ticket holders who pay $250 per game ticket. They will be laser focused on attracting the acts that will lead to folks paying several orders of magnitude more to enjoy them in style with the appetizers, aperitifs and dessert carts rolling by.
I don't understand the economics of this. If a concert is coming to town, why would NU be selling tickets to it or have the boxes sold already. 1. Wouldn't whoever is promoting the event want to sell those seats at the highest price available? 2. Why would anybody buy a box that in clouds a bunch of events they may or may not care about?

I don't understand the economics of this. If a concert is coming to town, why would NU be selling tickets to it or have the boxes sold already. 1. Wouldn't whoever is promoting the event want to sell those seats at the highest price available? 2. Why would anybody buy a box that in clouds a bunch of events they may or may not care about?
NU’s sports media licensing partner is part of a conglomerate that also manages performing talent. There are significant advantages to performing outside the City of Chicago as union labor requirements create greater venue costs in town. NU with its partner can assemble a very attractive slate of concerts sufficient to attract a very high price for luxury boxes. Basic non-box tickets are sold event-by-event.

The new redevelopment plan announced for the United Center includes a musical venue to seat about 6000. NU can get all the warm weather events of that size as part of its schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT