ADVERTISEMENT

Not done yet: 2018 OL will take official visit to NU

Any of our board scouts care to speculate whether or not he can play OT in a power program?

Hard to tell. His highlights show so little in terms of pass blocking. I do like his frame and he carries his current weight well. He plays with a good base and moves well for his size. If he is truly 6”5 280 lbs now, I think there is enough there that could be developed into a Big ten caliber tackle or guard.

Reactions: Figrating
Hard to tell. His highlights show so little in terms of pass blocking. I do like his frame and he carries his current weight well. He plays with a good base and moves well for his size. If he is truly 6”5 280 lbs now, I think there is enough there that could be developed into a Big ten caliber tackle or guard.
He moves really well. He's big but 280 might be a stretch.

Any of our board scouts care to speculate whether or not he can play OT in a power program?

I have stayed at an Holiday Inn Express before so I'm qualified to answer this question.

His measurables would suggest a guard. But then we had Rashawn Slater named freshman All American playing as a 6-3 289 right tackle. The NU coaches apparently will decide later.

Going back to Slater, would it surprise anyone if he were moved to the interior somewhere down the road? (No monosyllabic responsed please :mad:o_O).

Reactions: Hungry Jack
How about a "Wisconsin type Big Ten caliber tackle or guard?" To get beyond where we are, a regular old Big Ten calibre isn't what we need.

How about a "Wisconsin type Big Ten caliber tackle or guard?" To get beyond where we are, a regular old Big Ten calibre isn't what we need.

Except it kind of is. Everyone has been bitching about how our OL isn't up to B1G standards, so even getting to "average" should be an improvement from that perspective.

Why is he only a 2star?? Is he slow to the scene like Winkel? Was he hurt? Did he play vs lesser competition??

He is 3 Star and ranked slightly higher than Winkel on the 247 ranking.

I need an OL guru to help me out here. I thought that size wasn't everything in OL line play when using a zone blocking scheme - witness the Denver Broncos in years past with their all-pro RBs and Super Bowl appearances. Doesn't NU employ a zone blocking scheme? NU just produced an all-time RB. They must have been doing something right. So if this guy is relatively big and is athletic (Big "if" I suppose.), isn't he a good candidate? Isn't there more than one way to skin the cat other than having five 6'5", 325 lb linemen?

Isn't a current Wiskey starter a converted QB? Maybe we can bulk up Jason Whittaker and turn him into a 6-5 320 lb. tackle.

Reactions: mickbula
Isn't a current Wiskey starter a converted QB? Maybe we can bulk up Jason Whittaker and turn him into a 6-5 320 lb. tackle.

David Edwards was a 6-6 225 QB who started his career as a TE, never even as a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT