ADVERTISEMENT

Not your every day Moose Sighting but still has to portend Good Things Ahead for Wildcat Football

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
I see that per HailtoPurple.com it is now only 82 days until Game Day as shown on the Far East Wildcat Kick Off Clock. Here is this weekend's Moose Sighting:

As evident in the above video, a venture into the close by Estuary Park located in our Alaska neighborhood found us trapped as a Moose blocked our exit on the trail leading home. Just a week earlier a similar sized Moose had attacked another Alaska venturer in an Alaska community with the would be photographer losing his life.
Watch as the Moose separates us from a safe return and crosses on the trail ahead of us.

As reflected in the above video, fortunately the Moose was more intent on grazing the park's vegetation than charging at us.

As an added point of historical interest, located in a suburb of the City of Anchorage, Alaska, the Natural Area was formerly the site of one of the few farms in the city. The farm's cleared open field has now grown over with natural vegetation which is accessible by an improved trail that extends out to a bluff area outlook and bird blinds which face the ocean waters and Point Resolution where Captain Cook's men hoisted the British Flag and claimed the surrounding land on his final voyage.

Here are some added still shots:

5cpvxdmhf2kb.jpg

9gsz7s9yvqon.jpg

pd3tn99r9pe5.jpg

5xsas65ni8he.jpg

m3jvwrc4ocni.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Alaska great pics as always.
Sorry to hear about the fatal attack the week or so before.
Question. How many attacks are there around the Anchorage area in a year and are certain times of the year more likely to have dangerous Moose encounters.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I see that per HailtoPurple.com it is now only 82 days until Game Day as shown on the Far East Wildcat Kick Off Clock. Here is this weekend's Moose Sighting:

As evident in the above video, a venture into the close by Estuary Park located in our Alaska neighborhood found us trapped as a Moose blocked our exit on the trail leading home. Just a week earlier a similar sized Moose had attacked another Alaska venturer in an Alaska community with the would be photographer losing his life.
Watch as the Moose separates us from a safe return and crosses on the trail ahead of us.

As reflected in the above video, fortunately the Moose was more intent on grazing the park's vegetation than charging at us.

As an added point of historical interest, located in a suburb of the City of Anchorage, Alaska, the Natural Area was formerly the site of one of the few farms in the city. The farm's cleared open field has now grown over with natural vegetation which is accessible by an improved trail that extends out to a bluff area outlook and bird blinds which face the ocean waters and Point Resolution where Captain Cook's men hoisted the British Flag and claimed the surrounding land on his final voyage.

Here are some added still shots:

5cpvxdmhf2kb.jpg

9gsz7s9yvqon.jpg

pd3tn99r9pe5.jpg

5xsas65ni8he.jpg

m3jvwrc4ocni.jpg
Well my Alaska friend, while we greatly appreciate the moose photos and videos, I'm afraid you're taking too many risks. I, too, have had some interesting moose and bear encounters while fishing on the Nushagak River in your fair state and both of these animals can be quite dangerous as I'm sure you know.

I got chased into Lake Superior by a moose in rut in late September on Isle Royal on a backpacking trip many years ago....found out how cold Lake Superior is when I got up to my vitals....but beautiful animals.
I heard a story once from a guy who was camped in the UP in September when a bull moose stormed into his camp. He dove into his tent and prayed the moose would leave. He said the moose stomped around his tent for 5 minutes, bellowing and snorting, before leaving.

I’ve done 3 trips on IR, and always kept a good distance from the moose.

One night in September, I was in a solo trip across Pictured Rocks when two bucks were having a confrontation on each side of my camp (cliffs group site but I was alone). Certainly got my attention.

Hi, Alaska great pics as always.
Sorry to hear about the fatal attack the week or so before.
Question. How many attacks are there around the Anchorage area in a year and are certain times of the year more likely to have dangerous Moose encounters.
Yeah, this probably the most likely time of the year to be charged by a Cow Moose as they may have newly born calves nearby that they are protecting

As loyolacat noted, the fall is most dangerous from the Bulls during rutting time when they act like out of control teenagers.

Attacks are probably more frequent than reported but we only hear about those resulting in serious injury which in Anchorage are around one to three a year,

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
I heard a story once from a guy who was camped in the UP in September when a bull moose stormed into his camp. He dove into his tent and prayed the moose would leave. He said the moose stomped around his tent for 5 minutes, bellowing and snorting, before leaving.

I’ve done 3 trips on IR, and always kept a good distance from the moose.

One night in September, I was in a solo trip across Pictured Rocks when two bucks were having a confrontation on each side of my camp (cliffs group site but I was alone). Certainly got my attention.
The size of a big bull moose is somewhat difficult to comprehend. About 10 or 12 years ago I was with a group of friends fishing for king salmon in Alaska. We were staying in hard floor tents near the river's edge. One of the guys in the tent next to mine got up to relieve himself in the middle of the night when a big bull walked right by him. He was still somewhat shaken in the morning when we got up for breakfast. When he was asked how big the moose was, he said he wasn't sure, but that "the nuts went by me at eye level." That same year a big bull chased the dock boy all the way to the outhouse and the kid just made it inside. The moose stayed outside snorting for about 50 minutes before he finally lost interest and wandered off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT