ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Notes from Pro Day

mikefitz77

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2020
Just got back from NU's pro day, and here are some highlights:

First the pro day stuff...
- First the bad news, Joe Spivak pulled a hamstring about halfway through his first attempt at the 40, and that was the end of his day. He said he's still gonna give it a go once he's healed up at some local combines the Bears and Packers hold.
- Stephon Robinson Jr. was absolutely flying on his first attempt at the 40-yard dash. All of us media people standing there timed it in the 4.3s on our phones, so take that for what it's worth. He had a really, really good day overall.
- Chris Bergin had a strong day, too. His first 40 was a little on the slower side, but his 2nd attempt we timed in the 4.5s, which is respectable. Looked really fast on the 3 cone.
- RCB had a good vertical at 36.5". It was really fun to see him again; always has a smile on his face. Said he hopes to get a shot in the USFL if the NFL doesn't come calling.
- Derek Adams put on a show in position drills. He was consistently hitting the roof of Ryan Fieldhouse, and the balls that did land were consistently over 50 yards.
- Jeremy Meiser's performance on the bench was the star of the day. He had 35 reps; the most of a d lineman at the combine was 29. Most at the combine by anyone was 32 by Boston College offensive lineman Zion Johnson. I was standing in the weight room talking to Fitz when Meiser came up and Fitz said "hold on. this'll be fun." He was right.
- I didn't see it myself, but as we were in the weight room Coco told me that a Western Illinois receiver had a 41" vertical, which would've been best at the combine by a receiver, so that's certainly impressive.

Other notes...
- A ton of former players in attendance. Saw Greg Newsome, Andrew Marty and Sam Gerak to name a few. All incredibly nice and friendly guys, as I'm sure you all know.
- Fitz said the keys to getting the train back on the tracks are stopping the run and getting efficient, consistent play at quarterback. Can't say I disagree there.
- Bryce Kirtz and Josh Priebe are limited in the spring, but they'll be fine, per Fitz.
- The goal is to hold Cam Porter out of practice this spring, but he is going through weight room stuff. Cam keeps begging the coaches to let him play, so they might let him get a little run after this two-week break to get back in the swing of things (per a non-Fitz staff member)
- Also per a non-Fitz staff member "if we don't land a QB, we might have to run the ball every play." It was said in jest, but can't help but feel that there was a little truth to the sentiment.
- I have no idea if he is in a position to potentially play this upcoming season because we weren't allowed to see any of practice this morning, but Najee Story looked like an absolute mass of humanity. I genuinely don't know if he's left the weight room since he got to campus. He is a far cry from the skinny kid he looked like in high school pictures.
- Off that, Fitz made it seem like COVID caused some interruptions in their offseason workouts last offseason. He said that hasn't happened this year and the team is way stronger on March 8, 2022 than they were on March 8, 2021.
- Coaches are really excited to get the transfers in. They said they would've done one week of spring before transfers arrive, and four after if it wasn't such a grind to do four weeks of spring practice in a row. It seems like they have big expectations for the transfers, and expect them to play key roles.

That's most of the interesting things that happened today during the almost 4.5 hours I was at Ryan Fieldhouse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News