ADVERTISEMENT

NU #4

NJCat83588

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
So says the Wall Street Journal, for donations in 2014. NU raised $620M. Only Harvard, Stanford and USC raised more. USC is in the midst of a $6B capital campaign.

$620M and they can't even build a decent gym to play basketball!

Pretty amazing how much the top tier institutions are able to raise in donations. The rich are definitely getting richer. Our top institutions probably have research budgets that probably exceed the research budgets of most of the developed nations.

Wouldn't you think that part of that 620M is to build the Athletic center?

Well, I'm referring to the $200,000,000 thing that they are supposed to built by the lake. At this time it is only a very nice parking garage. Surely, some of the money raised is being held until the project gets the final go ahead. They are taking gifts and pledges. Are they not?

Believe it when you see it, Deering. Three years and no shovels, right?

Well, there is a big sign with a picture of the new football building in the parking lot next to the lacrosse and soccer fields saying "Coming soon." Hope that means shovels in the ground this spring.

Harvard, of course, won't be using much of that money toward sports. What makes anyone think NU will? They haven't shown that much of an interest in doing so in the past.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Athletic donations would not be counted here. These are only related to the Endowment or other funds that the school would have access to. Athletics donations are considered separately. I would guess the various ways schools report these figure means that the WSJ is comparing apples and oranges. There are no generally accepted standards for reporting this information and they are not regulated even for reporting the school's financials. The accounting methods and rules are much more lax for schools and municipalities than for corporations.

Originally posted by chicagocatfan24:

I literally just saw on twitter that Warren Buffett's sister donated 100MM to NU

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/560468086080667649

Let's get that damn lakefront facility built and start reeling in the blue chipper, eh?
The $100MM gift is specifically to create an institute for international studies and support international students. How would that affect the lakefront facility in any way whatsoever?

It reduces the opportunity cost of the athletic facility!

Seriously, isn't the athletic capital budget completely separated from the institution's capital budget for academic projects? I guess the athletic fundraisers could plead their case for a transfer of some type, but it would seem a non-starter for me.

GCG--you know the innards of the athletic dept better than most of us. What's your understanding?

Rice Stadium upgrade plans include two-story football facility

http://www.chron.com/sports/rice/article/Rice-Stadium-upgrade-plans-include-two-story-2228356.php

Rice is planning to upgrade the stadium and build a two story football facility. Price tag is around $40M.
Why over $200M at NU? If a good portion of the money is already raised, maybe they should scale back the project to a level to actually get something done for the program. Both Houston and Baylor built new stadiums and TCU upgraded facilities all in the same window of development for the NU lakefront. Looks like Rice is next to beat NU to the finish line with actual results.

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:
Originally posted by chicagocatfan24:

I literally just saw on twitter that Warren Buffett's sister donated 100MM to NU

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/560468086080667649

Let's get that damn lakefront facility built and start reeling in the blue chipper, eh?
The $100MM gift is specifically to create an institute for international studies and support international students. How would that affect the lakefront facility in any way whatsoever?

Maybe Coach Collins can resurrect the Croation connection of his predecessor and I have heard there are some pretty good kickers across the pond that can nail Rugby shots for Coach Fitz.

Someone already addressed it. But, unless NU has explicitly decided to fund all expenses of the athletic facility with a completely separate pool of money and funds donated explicitly for the purpose of the facility (which I do not believe is the case), then any incremental $ that is contributed to the rest of the University budget for other purposes is $1 that can be diverted to other use... including (though not necessarily exclusively) the athletic facility.

Re: Rice Stadium upgrade plans include two-story football facility

My friend was told that the new facility will be complete by the time he is a junior. They are just waiting on some things with the city of Evanston. But everything is ready to go.

Originally posted by Johnnybigcat:
My friend was told that the new facility will be complete by the time he is a junior. They are just waiting on some things with the city of Evanston. But everything is ready to go.
A junior partner in a law firm?

The running joke is that's the same line they tell every recruit. Just ask the past 5 classes.....Will never happen in this lifetime.

Originally posted by lonestarmvp:

The running joke is that's the same line they tell every recruit. Just ask the past 5 classes.....Will never happen in this lifetime.
It's one thing to say that it's a running joke. It's another to post false information and say it will "never happen in this lifetime". The athlete might know something we don't know.

That's what they told the last two classes. As Maxwell Smart once said, "The ole Evanston city council" Trick.

Is this lakeside facility going to be built as is???

Only in the movies......only in the movies!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT