ADVERTISEMENT

Sullivan to Iowa

He doesn’t have a starter position at Iowa, though. Maybe he is a hazing perpetrator and NU is building a case in their defense by sacrificing their starting quarterback (and quietly aiding in his transfer to a friendly school). If there was actual hazing there must have been ringleaders. Where are the perpetrators? They didn’t ALL graduate.
Nice effort, truly one of your best.

He’s dead to me. You don’t transfer to a rival. What a baby. He expected to be handed the starting job instead of earning it. Hope he goes out there and sucks.
I am a big fan of college football and not just Northwestern and the Big Ten.

You guys need to go to some of the SEC boards.

For example - LSU -

We here on the Northwestern boards are like "aha, well, okay, best of luck to him" on the LSU boards they are exchanging his home address and talking about who will assault him. (I am kidding and exaggerating to make a point, but you get it). RELAX I am exaggerating.

Northwestern fans are too nice. We need to be bigger assholes.

You transfer from NU? You took our scholly money? You ate our food at our training table? You made purple sweater connections? You had access to world class teachers? And now you say "Ciao"? Eff you. You are dead to me. I wish him nothing but the worst.

Very stupid things to tell him if you want him to stay.
So, you want the coaches to lie to him? What kind of mind game is that? Iowa needed an experience backup in case McNamara gets injured.. Sully probably did not have a P4 option or maybe not a great option with the other D1 schools. Sully also gets a chance to be their #1 QB in 2025. He also had a previous relationship with the OC. So Iowa probably said the right things to him (even if they will probably try to bring someone in for 2025). When Lausch past Sully, it means Lausch is also projected to be ahead of him in 2025. So it all makes sense. You guys are just trying to make it look bad for with NU or Sully. Sully did what was best for him after getting his degree and knowing he would sit 3rd string behind Lausch and a transfer QB. Lujan knows tge way his offense needs to go and decided Sully was not the right QB. Braun did the right thing in letting Sully know where he stands. Iowa did what they needed so that they have experience in a backup. So everyone did what they needed to do.

Last edited:
My stance has ALWAYS been that if a player graduates, then I have no hard feelings if they transfer. It's a reward for their hard work while pursuing their degree, the ideal of a student-athlete. It's why I cheer for Ryan Young but not Miller Kopp.

Sully earned his NU degree so he's not obligated to stick around if the coaches want to play mind games with him.

I hope that Sully wins the starting job and that we get a chance to sort it out on the field when we play Iowa in October.
I agree - and as far as I can see he didn't trash the program in his transfer announcement like Kopp did

So, you want the coaches to lie to him? What kind of mind game is that? Iowa needed an experience backup incase McNamara gets injured.. Sully probably did not have a P4 option or maybe not a great option with the other D1 schools. Sully also gets a chance to be their #1 QB in 2025. He also had a previous relationship with the IC. So Iowa probably said the right things to him (even if they will probably try to bring someone in for 2025). When Lausch past Dilly, it means Lausch is also projected to be stead of him in 3035. So it all makes sense. You guys are just trying to make it look bad for with NU or Sully.
That’s a long college career

Then why didn't we ever run passing plays for the many times we put the "Lausch package" in last season? The defense always knew Lausch would be running and would sell out to stop him, and his stats after the UTEP game bear that out. Why didn't we have any confidence to run some pass plays out of the "Lausch package" to keep the defense honest? It should be easy to design a play when you know what the defense is going to do.

I've seen Sully complete several long passes in game situations. I do not believe that Lausch has suddenly surpassed Sully this spring.

Maybe Lausch has a higher ceiling, maybe he has more potential due to his sheer athleticism. But Sully has the edge in experience and I saw he showed development over the season. You guys can keep telling me that I'm wrong all you want, but I call bullsh!t that Lausch right now is better than Sully.
Kafka was not a great thrower his junior year. I still remember his backward pass that was so bad the whole team didn’t even think of retrieving it, leading to a disastrous conclusion. Then he ran for over 200 yards in another game. That is RAN because he could not throw that well.

Then there is Persa who played on special teams and also just ran as a backup QB the year before he started. It is not unusual for players to improve greatly between seasons. They show their improvement at spring practice and the coaches watch them carefully.

The new OC should decide who he believes can best run his system and had access to more info than anyone here on the QBs. We will know if he made the right move in a few months but that is what we paid him to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Kafka was not a great thrower his junior year. I still remember his backward pass that was so bad the whole team didn’t even think of retrieving it, leading to a disastrous conclusion. Then he ran for over 200 yards in another game. That is RAN because he could not throw that well.

Then there is Persa who played on special teams and also just ran as a backup QB the year before he started. It is not unusual for players to improve greatly between seasons. They show their improvement at spring practice and the coaches watch them carefully.

The new OC should decide who he believes can best run his system and had access to more info than anyone here on the QBs. We will know if he made the right move in a few months but that is what we paid him to do.

Difference is that Kafka always had the physical ability to throw, was just inexperienced because he didn’t play QB full time until his senior year of high school. The question with Lausch is whether the arm strength is there.

Reactions: NUCat320
Difference is that Kafka always had the physical ability to throw, was just inexperienced because he didn’t play QB full time until his senior year of high school. The question with Lausch is whether the arm strength is there.
I thought Kafka played one year in high school. It wasn’t like he grew up being a QB with multiple years of experience before coming to NU. And out OC and head coach seem convinced of their decision.. I’m not sure why people who do not see every throw every day in practice and watch how these players execute the new offense think they know better. The criticism is a bit too much in my eyes.

Hunter threw a nearly perfect pass. We all know how that turned out. Decision making and how a QB fits in a particular offense are more important. We see that in the NFL all the time. I just think we have to wait and see. We don’t really have the data to make an informed decision.

Once this board had unofficial standards on how to criticize current players but that seems to have been thrown away. Seems like people will say the worse things about these 18-22 student -athletes if they don’t like what the coaches have decided .

Last edited:
I thought Kafka played one year in high school. It wasn’t like he grew up being a QB with multiple years of experience before coming to NU. And out OC and head coach seem convinced of their decision.. I’m not sure why people who do not see every throw every day in practice and watch how these players execute the new offense think they know better. The criticism is a bit too much in my eyes.

Hunter threw a nearly perfect pass. We all know how that turned out. Decision making and how a QB fits in a particular offense are more important. We see that in the NFL all the time. I just think we have to wait and see. We don’t really have the data to make an informed decision.

Once this board had unofficial standards on how to criticize current players but that seems to have been thrown away. Seems like people will say the worse things about these 18-22 student -athletes if they don’t like what the coaches have decided .

That’s correct. Kafka was a part-time QB through his junior year behind an older QB who went on to play FCS football if I recall correctly. He wasn’t full-time QB until his senior year. Always had the arm strength (supposedly touched the lower-90s on the mound as a high school pitcher, which is pretty strong), but wasn’t refined at all.

Persa was a little different. He never really had pure arm strength throughout his NU career, but was extremely unrefined as a passer when he showed up. He threw some of the ugliest balls I’ve ever seen as a redshirt, but was always a hard-nosed guy and very good athlete. That’s why he saw time on special teams even though he was a QB. And, in typical Persa form, he worked his ass off to make himself a much better passer.

And yes Johnson had all the physical tools in the world but was full-on deer-in-headlights on gameday. Even in his most successful game at NU (against Michigan State), there were worrisome signs that he would regress badly. And he did.

Hopefully Wright, Lausch, and whoever Lujan brings in are different. The ability to process and execute between the white lines on Saturday is what separates QBs, but is exceedingly hard to recruit/evaluate for. You don’t really know how it will go until a guy is in that position. We have at least seen some real-time, P5 experience with Wright. May the best man win (and then hold onto the job).

Isn’t he a baseball pitcher?

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
Isn’t he a baseball pitcher?

Lausch was, yes. Primarily an outfielder, but also pitched. Topped out at 87 per Perfect Game, which is much more “just OK” than “that kid has some life in his arm:”

Perhaps resident baseball expert @chicagocatfan24 can help me better interpret Lausch’s PG profile from a baseball perspective.

The video only reinforced this lol

I liken Sullivan to a mediocre golfer who’s capable of hitting the “wow” shots that keep you coming back for more, but is also capable of hitting the “oh shit” shots that result in a 20+ handicap. Pretty easy to make that kind of guy look good on a highlight video that is only the “good shots.”

Reactions: epicbret
Lausch was, yes. Primarily an outfielder, but also pitched. Topped out at 87 per Perfect Game, which is much more “just OK” than “that kid has some life in his arm:”

Perhaps resident baseball expert @chicagocatfan24 can help me better interpret Lausch’s PG profile from a baseball perspective.
I looked him up on PBR and there's nothing at all that "wows" you about him as a baseball player from a tools standpoint. Not speed, arm strength, power, etc

I liken Sullivan to a mediocre golfer who’s capable of hitting the “wow” shots that keep you coming back for more, but is also capable of hitting the “oh shit” shots that result in a 20+ handicap. Pretty easy to make that kind of guy look good on a highlight video that is only the “good shots.”
I read on TOS where a commenter said that Sullivan had the 3rd highest QBR in NU history of anyone that threw more than 19 passes. Some of that was in garbage time, but a lot wasn't. Thrown into the fire in 2022 as a RS Frosh on a pitiful team, he did OK. Last year, he did well in garbage time and against 2 softer defenses but poorly v IA and Neb. I'm not gonna crap on the guy. He graduated and wants to play. He didn't have to be Kyle McCord about it

Lots of people acting like they know specifics from conversations they weren't a part of.

If Sullivan asked Braun about his status and Braun really did say "Lausch is ahead of you" then Braun is not nearly as capable as I thought.

Yet thats what a self-proclaimed expert declared in this thread.

Anybody with common sense would tell Sullivan that he was competing for the starting job.

So, I'm gonna trust my read on Braun and say that gogcatsgo2003 is making sh*t up.

I got a laugh out of the same individual using the term "WE" as in "WE told Sullivan this and that" and then referring to himself as an outsider in a later post.

And "Nobody is happy that Sullivan is gone" when half of the posts reek of happiness that Sullivan left.

Oh well, its fun to read that crap.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Lots of people acting like they know specifics from conversations they weren't a part of.

If Sullivan asked Braun about his status and Braun really did say "Lausch is ahead of you" then Braun is not nearly as capable as I thought.

Anybody with common sense would tell Sullivan that he was competing for the starting job.

So, I'm gonna trust my read on Braun and say that gogcatsgo2003 is making sh*t up.

I got a laugh out of the same individual using the term "WE" as in "WE told Sullivan this and that" and then referring to himself as an outsider in a later post.

And "Nobody is happy that Sullivan is gone" when half of the posts reek of happiness that Sullivan left.

Not sure what you mean by not capable. Braun just landed a very capable QB. Braun said in an interview that he is honest with the players about where they stand. The players last year seem to support his method. So, I can see Braun letting Sully and Lausch both know that they were targeting a transfer and that he sees the QB position up for grabs. Also, Wright probably visited and met with Sully and Lausch like all recruits would do. Then Lujan telling Sully that Lausch seems to be picking up the offensive system better. Frankly, we don’t know how the scenario went except for what people said and Braun said he was “honest” with the players. Besides, even though the buck stops at Braun, Lujan is the true evaluator. Sully could have felt he was losing ground. In the end, Braun did what was best for the team by bringing in an experience running QB while Sully did what he thought was best for his career.

That’s exactly what happened as I understand it from people who would know. Sullivan wanted assurances that he was QB1, Braun told him that Lausch is QB1 coming out of spring ball and that NU was going to bring in another transfer QB to compete as well. Then those three QBs would have an open competition in fall practice for the starting position.

That was enough for him to bail… to place where he will also have to compete for playing time and is more likely than not the backup than the starter.

Nobody is happy that Sullivan is gone. NU/Braun wanted him back as part of the QB competition. The kid elected to go elsewhere where he felt in a better position, for whatever reason. That’s his prerogative, especially with his NU degree in hand.

I’m not heartbroken about Sullivan leaving because he’s not a terribly good QB and I would’ve hoped that our incoming transfer would beat him out as starter in the fall either way. I wouldn’t have guessed that Lausch would be ahead of him coming out of spring ball, but that’s how it worked out.

And I’m so sorry that I used “we” with respect to a football program I’ve followed literally my entire life. Mea culpa.

That’s exactly what happened as I understand it from people who would know. Sullivan wanted assurances that he was QB1, Braun told him that Lausch is QB1 coming out of spring ball and that NU was going to bring in another transfer QB to compete as well. Then those three QBs would have an open competition in fall practice for the starting position.

That was enough for him to bail… to place where he will also have to compete for playing time and is more likely than not the backup than the starter.

Nobody is happy that Sullivan is gone. NU/Braun wanted him back as part of the QB competition. The kid elected to go elsewhere where he felt in a better position, for whatever reason. That’s his prerogative, especially with his NU degree in hand.

I’m not heartbroken about Sullivan leaving because he’s not a terribly good QB and I would’ve hoped that our incoming transfer would beat him out as starter in the fall either way. I wouldn’t have guessed that Lausch would be ahead of him coming out of spring ball, but that’s how it worked out.

And I’m so sorry that I used “we” with respect to a football program I’ve followed literally my entire life. Mea culpa.
How do you feel about his older brother Ryan Young?

I know this is not your point, but I hate the fact that high school kids have to throw in the 90s now to be considered good. I wish they would just learn to pitch instead. It’s such a dying art.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I know this is not your point, but I hate the fact that high school kids have to throw in the 90s now to be considered good. I wish they would just learn to pitch instead. It’s such a dying art.

See Greg Maddox. Probably couldn't even elevate past 84 mph, and couldn't hold a runner to save his soul, but that man could work the zone better than anyone who didn't have a knuckleball (which by the way) I've had the "pleasure' of trying to hit.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and TheC
I am a big fan of college football and not just Northwestern and the Big Ten.

You guys need to go to some of the SEC boards.

For example - LSU -

We here on the Northwestern boards are like "aha, well, okay, best of luck to him" on the LSU boards they are exchanging his home address and talking about who will assault him. (I am kidding and exaggerating to make a point, but you get it). RELAX I am exaggerating.

Northwestern fans are too nice. We need to be bigger assholes.

You transfer from NU? You took our scholly money? You ate our food at our training table? You made purple sweater connections? You had access to world class teachers? And now you say "Ciao"? Eff you. You are dead to me. I wish him nothing but the worst.

Do they have premium basketball boards in the SEC?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
See Greg Maddox. Probably couldn't even elevate past 84 mph, and couldn't hold a runner to save his soul, but that man could work the zone better than anyone who didn't have a knuckleball (which by the way) I've had the "pleasure' of trying to hit.
Maddux came into the bigs throwing low 90s. His last three years (where there’s some online data), he was at 85. Velocities were lower in the 80s/90s obviously, but Maddux was not just a magical soft tosser. Command/control were his primary weapons, but his velocity was also plus.

As for comments from @TheC, pitcher injuries are so prevalent and I think there’s gotta be a reckoning coming. Every active Cy Young winner except Corbin Burnes has been hurt this season, with established workhorses like Cole and Alcantara headed for surgery.

Guys only throw hard, and only throw max effort. The “only two times through the lineup” thing has required those starters to go four max-effort innings, and then bullpens get overworked. Nobody’s been taught to tone it down a bit in low-risk situations — or really, to truly reach back for their best stuff only when it’s needed.

It could go two ways. MLB could start treating pitchers like the NFL treats running backs — use them until they’re done, then bring up the next interchangeable part. Or those pitchers could start being taught to try to go deep into games, saving their best stuff for jams and accepting a drop in K-rates. (Goddamn, tho, Mason Millers outings are “drop everything and watch” viewing.) It is really lame that four or five good innings and then a trip to the showers is a good outing for an mlb starter.

As for Sullivan, he got his degree. No hard feelings. He chose to compete with one other guy, not with two. I would’ve loved to watch him for some other program; I’m sad to see that he’ll probably be on the bench, maybe even in a “Lausch in 2023”-type role. For what it’s worth, he’s definitely good enough to get some change of pace series, and McNamara isn’t that good so perhaps Sullivan could take the job at some point.

I suspect that Sullivan was one of the angriest about the Fitz firing, and may harbor more resentment than others. This is mostly speculation. It may or may not be notable that the controversial “Cats Against the World” t-shirts were produced in Sullivan’s hometown of Davison, Michigan.

So he chose his own path, rather than an OC with no knowledge of him and a head coach who never recruited him. Again, I hope he’s second-team all-conference.

Last edited:

I’m kind of happy he’s gone. Especially if he left because he didn’t want to compete. Or at least I didn’t give a crap. I don’t think he was very good except the one Maryland game.

I don't want to dump on the kid. I enjoyed watching him play. But, I briefly considered getting a Sullivan jersey at the NIL store (they don't have one for Coco). I'm glad I didn't

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I don't want to dump on the kid. I enjoyed watching him play. But, I briefly considered getting a Sullivan jersey at the NIL store (they don't have one for Coco). I'm glad I didn't
You make an interesting point. I won’t buy jerseys of younger players anymore - since they might end up playing for the enemy. Guess my purchases will need to be on the stars in final year of eligibility.

I'm baffled that people keep saying he didn't want to compete. He did compete. He was here for Spring practice. He was told they were going with someone else.
We aren’t sure, so it is really semantics on how Braun delivered the message. Braun already said he wished Sully had stayed, so I doubt he said, we are going in another direction, hope you elect to stay as a second or even third stringer.

I think it is far more plausible that Sully asked if he was the Starter and Braun said it’s still an open competition. Sully decided to explore other opportunities when he didn’t like what he heard and wasn’t guaranteed the starter role.

Maddux was truly a unique case of any starter in the modern era. Elite movement, control, and ability to change speeds with below average velo.

High K guys have almost (almost)always been high velo guys — especially starters. But if you think that the only attribute that matters is velo you would be mistaken. Spin rate, release point, tunneling, pitch shape, horizontal and vertical movement all matter. There are plenty of high velo guys with straight fastballs or high walk rates that can’t make it to the minors.

All else equal if I’m building a staff? I want high K rate high velo freaks, especially in my pen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT