ADVERTISEMENT

NU an early favorite for 2021 QB Jake Rubley

I assume that we only take one and that the first to commit has that spot. Presumably the coaches, regardless of the national hype, see them as largely equal in their potential to contribute to the program.

An NU offer is and always has been legit. The only way an offer is rescinded is if the player doesn’t meet academic/social standards or all scholarships allocated to the position are used. There’s no prioritization amongst offers or “uncommittable” offers.

That said... would still prefer McCarthy.

An NU offer is and always has been legit. The only way an offer is rescinded is if the player doesn’t meet academic/social standards or all scholarships allocated to the position are used. There’s no prioritization amongst offers or “uncommittable” offers.

I think you are mistaken. I believe the coaches tell students whom they offer that they will only take, for example, 1 QB or 4 OL, and that when that number of commitments has been reached, the offer has expired.

I think you are mistaken. I believe the coaches tell students whom they offer that they will only take, for example, 1 QB or 4 OL, and that when that number of commitments has been reached, the offer has expired.

How is that different from what I posted?

Wait.....I thought I have read on this board that McCall sucks.....

I don't think so. I think the complaints have been about his play calling. I think most, if not all, the people around here agree that he is good developing QBs.

Reactions: willycat
I don't think so. I think the complaints have been about his play calling. I think most, if not all, the people around here agree that he is good developing QBs.

No. There are still people bitching about his development of Thorson, Siemian, and Alviti.

McCarthy with 3 CB’s to Michigan today. Wiltfong doing his usual flip, but Trieu is often right and doesn’t change nearly as much. Gag me.

Don’t fret it good buddy. I predict this won’t be the last CB for McCarthy.

GOUNUII
Do you think it’s just because he visited Michigan last week? Maybe he said something to someone after his visit. Who the hell knows

Do you think it’s just because he visited Michigan last week? Maybe he said something to someone after his visit. Who the hell knows

Visit plus glowing comments equals CB to Midwest Blue blood for Midwest stud. I think McCarthy’s CBs fit that description. Plus ... less than a week ago this was a 2 horse race, and neither jockey was wearing Michigan colors.

Anything can happen. But that’s my read of the situation.

GOUNUII

JJ McCarthy was a ND fan. Wanted to go to ND. ND chose Tyler Buchner over him. Big debate if this was smart or not on ND board. But JJ is going to a major program. He is legit.

JJ McCarthy was a ND fan. Wanted to go to ND. ND chose Tyler Buchner over him. Big debate if this was smart or not on ND board. But JJ is going to a major program. He is legit.

Really too bad that ND filled up. Would have been a sweeter win when JJ inevitably picked NU over the stinking Irish and that cow town in Indiana.

Reactions: drewjin
No. There are still people bitching about his development of Thorson, Siemian, and Alviti.

And they have good reason to (which has been well documented).

No disrespect to young Jake, but doubt he has watched basically every game of the QBs that McCall has coached over the years, and is basically going by the fact that Kakfa and Siemian got drafted (and CT in this draft).

Over the past 10-11 drafts - MSU, UM and Iowa (in addition to the 'Cats) have had 2 QBs drafted.

Do you think that means whomever was the OC/QB coach for Iowa is something special when it comes to developing QBs?

Plus, much of who gets drafted has more to do whether a QB has the prototypical size/arm strength than anything else.

The best NU QB over the past decade (Persa) didn't get a sniff from the NFL, whereas guys who are the more protoypical pocket passer (and not just from NU, but the other B1G schools) have gotten looks (altho, that is changing as smaller, more mobile QBs have started to catch on).

Should Jay Paterno get kudos for having developed a former walk-on (McGloin) into a QB who made it to the NFL?

Or should Jay Paterno get downmarked for failing to develop a good # of touted/4* dual-threat QBs into anything resembling a good college QB, much less an NFL QB?

And putting aside, all those who had a hand in QB development (like Baz and local QB guru, Jeff Christiansen), how come McCall never was able to develop a sufficient back-up behind Siemian?

Trevor should never have played against WMU the week after he suffered that high ankle sprain injury, esp. as the O-line kept collapsing against WMU's pass rush.

And while Green performed admirably, was anyone really comfortable w/ that situation?

Evidently, neither were the coaches as they played Thorson earlier than they would have liked.

Wait.....I thought I have read on this board that McCall sucks.....

Aside from maybe 1-2 posters, most of those who have been critical of McCall (both as an OC and developer of QBs) have not stated that he sucks.

At the same time, McCall isn't exactly anything great in those 2 respects (if he were, would have gotten offers from bigger programs like Wilson, if not the NFL).

McCall is about avg. - does some things well, other things, not so well.

And they have good reason to (which has been well documented).

No disrespect to young Jake, but doubt he has watched basically every game of the QBs that McCall has coached over the years, and is basically going by the fact that Kakfa and Siemian got drafted (and CT in this draft).

Over the past 10-11 drafts - MSU, UM and Iowa (in addition to the 'Cats) have had 2 QBs drafted.

Do you think that means whomever was the OC/QB coach for Iowa is something special when it comes to developing QBs?

Plus, much of who gets drafted has more to do whether a QB has the prototypical size/arm strength than anything else.

The best NU QB over the past decade (Persa) didn't get a sniff from the NFL, whereas guys who are the more protoypical pocket passer (and not just from NU, but the other B1G schools) have gotten looks (altho, that is changing as smaller, more mobile QBs have started to catch on).

Should Jay Paterno get kudos for having developed a former walk-on (McGloin) into a QB who made it to the NFL?

Or should Jay Paterno get downmarked for failing to develop a good # of touted/4* dual-threat QBs into anything resembling a good college QB, much less an NFL QB?

And putting aside, all those who had a hand in QB development (like Baz and local QB guru, Jeff Christiansen), how come McCall never was able to develop a sufficient back-up behind Siemian?

Trevor should never have played against WMU the week after he suffered that high ankle sprain injury, esp. as the O-line kept collapsing against WMU's pass rush.

And while Green performed admirably, was anyone really comfortable w/ that situation?

Evidently, neither were the coaches as they played Thorson earlier than they would have liked.

Aside from maybe 1-2 posters, most of those who have been critical of McCall (both as an OC and developer of QBs) have not stated that he sucks.

At the same time, McCall isn't exactly anything great in those 2 respects (if he were, would have gotten offers from bigger programs like Wilson, if not the NFL).

McCall is about avg. - does some things well, other things, not so well.

Thanks for the history lesson. What about the success McCall has with his QBs at BGSU?

What McCall did at BGSU has little bearing to what he has done at NU (Charlie Weis made a ton of $$ based on his rings w/ the Pats).

And it's not like BGSU has missed McCall much - having made the MAC Championship game in '13, '14 and '15.

QB Matt Johnson passed for 4,700 yds in 2015.

Johnson got hurt early in the 2014 season, but the Falcons still managed to make the Championship game w/ their back-up QB.

What McCall did at BGSU has little bearing to what he has done at NU (Charlie Weis made a ton of $$ based on his rings w/ the Pats).

And it's not like BGSU has missed McCall much - having made the MAC Championship game in '13, '14 and '15.

Johnson got hurt early in the 2014 season, but the Falcons still managed to make the Championship game w/ their back-up QB.

What does BGSU's success in '13, '14, '15 or Matt Johnson have to do with McCall?
McCall left BGSU after the 2007 season.

Reactions: cat inkansas

I'm not sure they had to do a helluva lot of development with Matt Johnson. He was pretty damn good coming out of HS.

I disagree 100%. We’re talking about his development of quarterbacks. His work with Jacobs and Harris are very relevant to the conversation. Your disparagement of McCall is ill founded and flat out wrong. Also, I’m not sure what purpose it serves to disparage our OC on a thread where a top QB prospect speaks highly of him. WTF is wrong with you?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT