ADVERTISEMENT

NU Class skyrockets to #7 in Nation

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Up from an already great #15 on another site. Directly in front of Duke. lol

Of course MSU and Indiana are top 5.

Does Rivals do Team rankings? At any rate, really good timing on the heels of the new seating pricing, etc. BTW, imo, the pricing is very reasonable for all as I doubt there are any bad seats in the arena, including the seats which no donation is required.

And it would be even higher if Ryan Young had the kind of rating he deserves. (Right now, he doesn't even have one and doesn't count toward 247's ranking system.)

Incredible.

Reactions: xxjfgxx
And it would be even higher if Ryan Young had the kind of rating he deserves. (Right now, he doesn't even have one and doesn't count toward 247's ranking system.)

Incredible.
It has been a month since he verbaled and still no rating. This is the longest delay in ratings I can recall. With the number of offers he had, even though they were MAC level, you would think he would have been rated as a 3 star even before NU brought him on board. Now for sure.

Lou, stop resting on you laurels. Yes you got Kopp on board but that was a couple hours ago so what have you done for us lately? Oh and by the way, our recruit list does not even include Kopp. You're slipping.

It has been a month since he verbaled and still no rating. This is the longest delay in ratings I can recall. With the number of offers he had, even though they were MAC level, you would think he would have been rated as a 3 star even before NU brought him on board. Now for sure.

Lou, stop resting on you laurels. Yes you got Kopp on board but that was a couple hours ago so what have you done for us lately? Oh and by the way, our recruit list does not even include Kopp. You're slipping.

MAC level offers? I don't consider the A-10 and Maryland MAC level basketball programs.

GOUNUII

You'd think the offer from Maryland would warrant a look and a rating. But, now that he's a Cats commit, relegated to the back burner, I guess.

Not going to ruin my day! Cats have four very talented young men ready to come in and build upon the recently established foundation. So much to be excited about!

Should I have said mostly MAC level?

No. That too would be totally misleading. MAC offers are irrelevant when a prospect has multiple offers from quality A10 programs and a couple more from quality Big 10 programs. Add the tangible interest of Michigan, ND and Stanford, where he made invited UOVs, and you have a prospect that clearly distinguished himself from a MAC level recruit.

GOUNUII

Should I have said mostly MAC level?

Well you should have stated it accurately. If you wanted to say he had ~20 D1 offers but only one other P5 offer, Maryland, that would would have been accurate. FYI he had ~5 A10 offers, which is demonstrably above MAC level. And having a lot of lower level offers doesn't make someone a worse prospect - with that logic if he had fewer offers but higher level he'd be a better prospect. Heck if he had only Maryland and Northwestern and no other offers at all, then he has "Big Ten Level Offers" right?

And regarding that 20 number... now that I check the Richmond site, they were tracking his offers very closely and said he had 28 offers by early July, before Maryland and Northwestern offered. So he actually had 30+ offers.

https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/ryan-young-2018-offer.9604/

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Up from an already great #15 on another site. Directly in front of Duke. lol

Of course MSU and Indiana are top 5.

Does Rivals do Team rankings? At any rate, really good timing on the heels of the new seating pricing, etc. BTW, imo, the pricing is very reasonable for all as I doubt there are any bad seats in the arena, including the seats which no donation is required.
With yYoung supposedly at 162, class looks pretty comparable to IND. They have 50, 101, 112,and 142 and we have 61,97,118 and 162. When his rating is official, does that put us top 5? Of course we are done with our class and there are a number of top prospects still uncommitted that will likely swing some ratings pretty wildly.

Well you should have stated it accurately. If you wanted to say he had ~20 D1 offers but only one other P5 offer, Maryland, that would would have been accurate. FYI he had ~5 A10 offers, which is demonstrably above MAC level. And having a lot of lower level offers doesn't make someone a worse prospect - with that logic if he had fewer offers but higher level he'd be a better prospect. Heck if he had only Maryland and Northwestern and no other offers at all, then he has "Big Ten Level Offers" right?

And regarding that 20 number... now that I check the Richmond site, they were tracking his offers very closely and said he had 28 offers by early July, before Maryland and Northwestern offered. So he actually had 30+ offers.

https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/ryan-young-2018-offer.9604/
I actually thought MAC was pretty good and on par with the other offers he had. I had put A10 in same group. One step below P5 and Big East or whatever it is called. If A10 is that much better, I was not really aware. I looked at his list (other than the MD offer) similar to what I saw in Skelly's offer list. It was never meant to be any kind of slight. A late bloomer with plenty of local and just below P5/6 offers. Solid developmental guy.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
With yYoung supposedly at 162, class looks pretty comparable to IND. They have 50, 101, 112,and 142 and we have 61,97,118 and 162. When his rating is official, does that put us top 5? Of course we are done with our class and there are a number of top prospects still uncommitted that will likely swing some ratings pretty wildly.

I don't understand 247's system sometimes. Has Young at 162, and then you click through to his profile and he's still N/A and 243 by 247 itself.

I said before that he seems to be to be as skilled as Riley Battin, with better length and potentially greater upside, so in that range of mid- to high 3 star makes sense. Riley committed to Utah today, incidentally.

I always enjoy pointing this out, and I understand why he's left out of rankings, but adding Turner to this list makes it easily the best quintet to arrive in Evanston in the history of this program.

I always enjoy pointing this out, and I understand why he's left out of rankings, but adding Turner to this list makes it easily the best quintet to arrive in Evanston in the history of this program.

Mac's class was the cornerstone of our first NCAA berth, so not sure you can say that about this group yet. Even the fifth guy got us a ton of national publicity.

Good point. I only meant at the time it was put together, but even that might be debatable.

How cool is it, though, that we're now sitting here able to debate these kinds of players? Great times are a brewin' in Evanston!
The funny thing is, if I remember correctly, about 4 months ago there was some hand wringing that nothing was happening in recruiting and tourney buzz wasn't producing the way it should.

The funny thing is, if I remember correctly, about 4 months ago there was some hand wringing that nothing was happening in recruiting and tourney buzz wasn't producing the way it should.
To be fair to the hand wringers (I was not among them) last year we sort swung and missed on a bunch of guys we were going after and left a scholarship unfilled. We started slow again and being the nervous nellies that NU fandom is, a few assumed the worst. Hopefully they can relax a bit now and enjoy the ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT