ADVERTISEMENT

NU Football-What Nobody Will Say...

Ryanfield124

Nov 3, 2021
Long time listener and recent poster to this forum. I love NU Football and write this as an alum (post grad), former DIII defensive end, season ticket holder. I am invested in NU Football.

The stubbornness and lack of accountability of Fitz has been covered. What I will write about is the type of player this team is fielding.

NU kids are great kids. I never wake-up to a story of an NU player arrested for hitting a woman, DUI, or gun possession. For the last few years, I've met the parents of these players and 98% of them come from really positive situations. These parents care, travel to games, and come from good households. This reflects in graduation rates and phones not ringing in the middle of the night.

Here is my point. Unlike your average Nebraska, OSU, Michigan/MSU kid; most NU football players DON'T NEED FOOTBALL. Look up most of these players on the roster on LinkedIn. You will see many of them with internships at Goldman Sachs, AEON, Prudential, etc. I know a kid who left to ND and plays for the LA Rams now who spent his summers in FL to get draft ready. He isn't your typical NU kid. B1G football players are playing for tape to get drafted. Most of the current roster isn't trying to play in the NFL. Most of the starters we face at a minimum are thinking about it.

We are and have been too "nice" of a football team. Do we ever put anybody away? Nope. Fitz is too nice. Notice how Illinois, Duke, Nebraska, MSU, U of M and Wisconsin could care less about running up the score. Those kids wanted to destroy us. Think about Joe Spivak. Universally a great kid. Plays hard. But he isn't mean. He isn't nasty. He gets pancaked every game. Still starts.

Every team we played this year had some "dawgs" playing us. Nasty enforcers who send messages to the other team that this is a man's game. We don't have those kids. Now that's either because Fitz doesn't want that kind of kid OR we have them and he doesn't like that kind of kid. I believe its the latter. Why?

Some NU "dawgs" we used to have were Kyle Quiero or JB Butler. Joe Gaziano, Lancaster, & Dean Lowry also come to mind. 2021 we had a bunch of nice kids but not one who was there to send a message.

We've been sold that this nice kid clean cut bullshit wins football games. Well fans its time to choose. Get curb stomped by Nebraska and become every team's wet-dream beat-down game on the schedule OR something else. I don't have the answers but I wanted to share my observations. Its a factor I haven't seen discussed.

So were we too nice in 2020 when we won the west and smacked down Auburn?
We were too pleased with ourselves to prepare for and show up at MSU. Falling back whenever we get significant attention and respect is part of the nice guy failure. NU doesn't embrace having a target on its back. Most success has been after a slow start providing room to make a run under the radar.

So were we too nice in 2020 when we won the west and smacked down Auburn?
Lets call it what it was. OSU Trey Sermon. That tape got him drafted by the 49ers. And beating Auburn who had a coach being fired wasn't a smack down.

Either way the '21 version of the Wildcats isn't the same team in any comparison and you know that. Tell me one position player opponents feared? Skowronski? Bergin? Maybe Hull....

We were too pleased with ourselves to prepare for and show up at MSU. Falling back whenever we get significant attention and respect is part of the nice guy failure. NU doesn't embrace having a target on its back. Most success has been after a slow start providing room to make a run under the radar.
MSU was an absolute beat down by a team knowing going in that NU didn't deserve to be on the field with them. We were outclassed and manhandled at every position. No respect given from Sparty. That "N" on that helmet doesn't mean shit if you don't back it up.

The big losses weren't the issue. It was the acceptance of them we haven't seen in a while. NU would scrap until the end. This is the first year ever I left games early. EVER. They played like they didn't want to be there. So why I am staying to cheer for that? I saw zero on field leadership in 2021.

That is cultivated by the HC who apparently wants to be the coach and captain of the team.

The loss of Mike Hankwitz and his replacement with a totally inept DC has been a huge factor in our performance this season. Until and unless we get another and much better DC you can expect more of the same.

The question is whether Fitz really likes it this way, since it lets him try to be the DC as well.

MSU was an absolute beat down by a team knowing going in that NU didn't deserve to be on the field with them. We were outclassed and manhandled at every position. No respect given from Sparty.
I was referring to the loss in 2020 after beating Wisconsin and pretty much locking up the West. We came out flat, unfocused. And then after waking up and coming back to take the lead, gave it away with sloppy play like the fumbled end-around to McGowan. We were the better team, but too nice and pleased with ourselves instead of looking forward to beating up on an inferior team.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
The big losses weren't the issue. It was the acceptance of them we haven't seen in a while. NU would scrap until the end. This is the first year ever I left games early. EVER. They played like they didn't want to be there. So why I am staying to cheer for that? I saw zero on field leadership in 2021.

That is cultivated by the HC who apparently wants to be the coach and captain of the team.
I agree. Where was the leadership this year?

I repeat my concern about the lack of competitiveness in the blowout losses this season. The lack of effort was prounounced early in the blowouts like with the Illinois game. It could have been the result of getting beat down game after game. If the program can’t be competitive in BT games again next year then we will be back in the Dark Ages. (I experienced the beginning of the Dark Ages when Alex fled to Purdue and we hired Pont to replace him in the early seventies.)

Long time listener and recent poster to this forum. I love NU Football and write this as an alum (post grad), former DIII defensive end, season ticket holder. I am invested in NU Football.

The stubbornness and lack of accountability of Fitz has been covered. What I will write about is the type of player this team is fielding.

NU kids are great kids. I never wake-up to a story of an NU player arrested for hitting a woman, DUI, or gun possession. For the last few years, I've met the parents of these players and 98% of them come from really positive situations. These parents care, travel to games, and come from good households. This reflects in graduation rates and phones not ringing in the middle of the night.

Here is my point. Unlike your average Nebraska, OSU, Michigan/MSU kid; most NU football players DON'T NEED FOOTBALL. Look up most of these players on the roster on LinkedIn. You will see many of them with internships at Goldman Sachs, AEON, Prudential, etc. I know a kid who left to ND and plays for the LA Rams now who spent his summers in FL to get draft ready. He isn't your typical NU kid. B1G football players are playing for tape to get drafted. Most of the current roster isn't trying to play in the NFL. Most of the starters we face at a minimum are thinking about it.

We are and have been too "nice" of a football team. Do we ever put anybody away? Nope. Fitz is too nice. Notice how Illinois, Duke, Nebraska, MSU, U of M and Wisconsin could care less about running up the score. Those kids wanted to destroy us. Think about Joe Spivak. Universally a great kid. Plays hard. But he isn't mean. He isn't nasty. He gets pancaked every game. Still starts.

Every team we played this year had some "dawgs" playing us. Nasty enforcers who send messages to the other team that this is a man's game. We don't have those kids. Now that's either because Fitz doesn't want that kind of kid OR we have them and he doesn't like that kind of kid. I believe its the latter. Why?

Some NU "dawgs" we used to have were Kyle Quiero or JB Butler. Joe Gaziano, Lancaster, & Dean Lowry also come to mind. 2021 we had a bunch of nice kids but not one who was there to send a message.

We've been sold that this nice kid clean cut bullshit wins football games. Well fans its time to choose. Get curb stomped by Nebraska and become every team's wet-dream beat-down game on the schedule OR something else. I don't have the answers but I wanted to share my observations. Its a factor I haven't seen discussed.

“I know a kid who left to ND and plays for the LA Rams now who spent his summers in FL to get draft ready.”

Subtle.

The loss of Mike Hankwitz and his replacement with a totally inept DC has been a huge factor in our performance this season. Until and unless we get another and much better DC you can expect more of the same.

The question is whether Fitz really likes it this way, since it lets him try to be the DC as well.
I get that but who would you classify as an "enforcer" on the D? Who could you count on for a stop like Paddy. That '18-'20 defense played with heart and got needed turnovers for a bad offense. You saw the animosity between the D and O in '19. They played with pride. This year... Bergin maybe (but he had no impactful plays or huge stops)?

Interesting point. I am certain most of the players were embarrassed to get their ass kicked week after week. The QB leads the culture of the team. Hunter had the tools but it was evident he didn’t have that Dawg you mention. Fitz kept him in so long against Duke that when he was pulled you knew right then and there, he would never see another snap. If Fitz yanked him after the second or even third turnover, maybe he comes back. He was shot. Marty came in and immediately changed the dynamic for one half. The board lit up that we would rebound to a bowl team if Marty was playing. When he got back on the field it all fell apart again. Hilinski blew my mind with his comment that this was the most fun he ever had playing football. To me, the Dawg is saying it was the most difficult season I have been involved with and it’s not going to happen again. This comment scares me for next year. Your QB has to hate to lose as much as anyone on the team. I didn’t see that at all. Give me another Baz, the guy was as competitive as anyone on the field, a Dawg. This position needs to be addressed in the off season.

Interesting point. I am certain most of the players were embarrassed to get their ass kicked week after week. The QB leads the culture of the team. Hunter had the tools but it was evident he didn’t have that Dawg you mention. Fitz kept him in so long against Duke that when he was pulled you knew right then and there, he would never see another snap. If Fitz yanked him after the second or even third turnover, maybe he comes back. He was shot. Marty came in and immediately changed the dynamic for one half. The board lit up that we would rebound to a bowl team if Marty was playing. When he got back on the field it all fell apart again. Hilinski blew my mind with his comment that this was the most fun he ever had playing football. To me, the Dawg is saying it was the most difficult season I have been involved with and it’s not going to happen again. This comment scares me for next year. Your QB has to hate to lose as much as anyone on the team. I didn’t see that at all. Give me another Baz, the guy was as competitive as anyone on the field, a Dawg. This position needs to be addressed in the off season.
You know another guy in that vain was Thorsen. Love him or hate him that man could be a dawg and get you a first down. He held guys accountable for routes and drops. He was "our" guy and not some transfer. The Nebraska game in '18 is etched in my mind. Win or lose he wasn't a quitter.

Lets call it what it was. OSU Trey Sermon. That tape got him drafted by the 49ers. And beating Auburn who had a coach being fired wasn't a smack down.

Either way the '21 version of the Wildcats isn't the same team in any comparison and you know that. Tell me one position player opponents feared? Skowronski? Bergin? Maybe Hull....
For years, there has been a huge talent differential between OSU and the rest of the B1G. Michigan finally broke its own hex by ramming the ball down the OSU throats in the run game, but OSU still has incredible talent advantages at QB and WR. It hurt a bit to see guys we tried to recruit in Zinter, Keegan and Steuber excelling for the Wolverines in the run game.

The biggest difference between 2020 Wildcats and 2021 was JON and QB. It should make us all appreciate what we had in Hank, because he was a genius. His scheme kept OSU within spitting distance in 2020, and had we a few playmakers on offense, we might have pulled it out.

JON brought in a new scheme that guys in the NFL even had a hard time adjusting to. When I saw our best pass rusher, Tommy B, playing a lot zone coverage, I got worried. It all went downhill from there.

I think JON lost the defense, and they gave up. That was obvious vs. Wisconsin. It does not help the McIntyre's reads had him running off to Kenosha to tackle grass. That's how Gallagher got more time.

So the pop psychology explanations of "too nice" is bunk with me. Kyric McGowan did not fumble vs. MSU in 2020 because he was nice. He fumbled because he is human and made a mistake. A rare one for that team. A hallmark of PF teams has been very few mistakes. That evaporated this year, and not because we are too nice or lack an edge.

Last edited:
I get that but who would you classify as an "enforcer" on the D? Who could you count on for a stop like Paddy. That '18-'20 defense played with heart and got needed turnovers for a bad offense. You saw the animosity between the D and O in '19. They played with pride. This year... Bergin maybe (but he had no impactful plays or huge stops)?
Talent is certainly a big part of it. But the question that remains is whether this current DC is going to be able to attract some of the more talented players that Hank could get in the past. I have some serious concerns about it.

For years, there has been a huge talent differential between OSU and the rest of the B1G. Michigan finally broke its own hex by ramming the ball down the OSU throats in the run game, but OSU still has incredible talent advantages at QB and WR. It hurt a bit to see guys we tried to recruit in Zinter, Keegan and Steuber excelling for the Wolverines in the run game.

The biggest difference between 2020 Wildcats and 2021 was JON and QB. It should make us all appreciate what we had in Hank, because he was a genius. His scheme kept OSU within spitting distance in 2020, and had we a few playmakers on offense, we might have pulled it out.

JON brought in a new scheme that guys in the NFL even had a hard time adjusting to. When I saw our best pass rusher, Tommy B, playing a lot zone coverage, I got worried. It all went downhill from there.

I think JON lost the defense, and they gave up. That was obvious vs. Wisconsin. It does not help the McIntyre's reads had him running off to Kenosha to tackle grass. That's how Gallagher got more time.

So the pop psychology explanations of "too nice" is bunk with me. Kyric McGowan did not fumble vs. MSU in 2020 because he was nice. He fumbled because he is human and made a mistake. A rare one for that team. A hallmark of PF teams has been very mistakes. That evaporated this year, and not because we are too nice.
I think the better term is being “difficult to play against”. Did the opposition come out of games saying boy the (insert NU Player) is a SOB to play against? How many dust ups were there when we were getting our ass kicked? Instead, we had Freshman RB’s saying we didnt seem interested in tackling. We could have Mr. Magoo as our DC and the PLAYERS should never have that perception out there about them. How do we follow that up? By getting worse to end the season.

The first comment Fitz made post the Illini game was the team needed to get stronger. Yes, I realize coaches commonly say that but I read this comment like this was numero uno. When an undersized/understrength team is getting its ass handed to it, it is very easy to make mental errors, try too hard, over pursue and bite on fakes because you are anxious to help out. Plus your tackling suffers. So I doubt the team lacked for mental want to guys as much as it lacked any physically dominant players.

Last edited:
You know another guy in that vain was Thorsen. Love him or hate him that man could be a dawg and get you a first down. He held guys accountable for routes and drops. He was "our" guy and not some transfer. The Nebraska game in '18 is etched in my mind. Win or lose he wasn't a quitter.

So the pop psychology explanations of "too nice" is bunk with me. Kyric McGowan did not fumble vs. MSU in 2020 because he was nice. He fumbled because he is human and made a mistake. A rare one for that team. A hallmark of PF teams has been very mistakes. That evaporated this year, and not because we are too nice.
I'm not going to bother to 'sway' you. Too nice is being okay with the losing. Watch those sidelines. Kids were okay with it. PF barely yelled at a ref this year. Not like in the past. Where were the leaders on this team. Joe Spivak yelled and danced but show me ONE big play he made this year.

Each team in the B1G has a guy/guys who make you cringe when they impact the game. Close your eyes and watch Walker dust Bergin in the MSU game. Think of Wisconsin's LBs and running back. Purdue's Bell. Minnesota came out the tunnel meaning business...

Name a player we have that makes other teams 'pay'? Evan Hull?

We don't have enforcers who set a tone.

I'm not going to bother to 'sway' you. Too nice is being okay with the losing. Watch those sidelines. Kids were okay with it. PF barely yelled at a ref this year. Not like in the past. Where were the leaders on this team. Joe Spivak yelled and danced but show me ONE big play he made this year.

Each team in the B1G has a guy/guys who make you cringe when they impact the game. Close your eyes and watch Walker dust Bergin in the MSU game. Think of Wisconsin's LBs and running back. Purdue's Bell. Minnesota came out the tunnel meaning business...

Name a player we have that makes other teams 'pay'? Evan Hull?

We don't have enforcers who set a tone.
I will take "Pop Psychology Straw Men for $500"

The lack of "enforcers" or guys who make the opponent "pay" could just as much be about physical talent as attitude. I don't necessarily think it is, but my point is we really don't know. It is pure speculation.

The tape don't lie. If you look at it you will see a lack of effort/intensity/will (however we describe it), especially on defense. Opposing players pretty much said the same thing. This a stark departure from teams of years past.

Talent is certainly a big part of it. But the question that remains is whether this current DC is going to be able to attract some of the more talented players that Hank could get in the past. I have some serious concerns about it.

We have some very talented defensive commits this cycle, led by Anto Saka. Yes it sucks to have lost Octavian Smith and Trevon Howard, but the cupboard isn’t completely bare in this class (plus we have a couple weeks before early signing day and a rapidly-spinning coaching carousel to sort through).

Look up Marxism Dialectical Materialism! Rich get richer and poor get poorer! Fitz is an utter football genius! He can make 7 million anywhere in the country! We don’t have the beefy defensive and offensive lineman to compete with Georgia or Ohio State! We are doomed! Take up gardening 👩‍🌾 garden 🪴 like me

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
We have some very talented defensive commits this cycle, led by Anto Saka. Yes it sucks to have lost Octavian Smith and Trevon Howard, but the cupboard isn’t completely bare in this class (plus we have a couple weeks before early signing day and a rapidly-spinning coaching carousel to sort through).
Right, the bucket still has water in it, but will the hole get plugged. Looks like not.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Most of our players do think NFL. Even ones that dont start. I talked to many parents who thought their kid would go nfl.

As far as hard nosed nasty kid, we have had previous players like Williams, our mlb a few years back, say we have a bunch of nice fellas and even could use some assholes.
Fitz is a technique guy. He doesnt teach a big nasty dogged determined football. Isnt even that big on lifting. He subscribes to the read and react and technique over mano mano. Thats how he recruits and it shows. Awful

For such a smart guy…you spew a lot of nonsense. Stick to eaves and equines.
If to fail is not an option, success will not follow. Give it the best shot--for every good one, there's a couple of bad ones. I suppose this could be applied to Fitz now too, however, if he knows the elephant in the room, can he please lead it out gently, and soon?

Reactions: Turk and IGNORE2
Has anyone watched The Journey this season? (I haven't)

I ask because historically that show would give a pretty reliable glimpse into the team dynamic, peer leadership, etc. I'm curious if it was obvious who filled the gaps left by senior leadership over the past couple of seasons, if anyone.

Just addressing some of the concerns I noticed while skimming this thread. Hunter was a team captain all season - the QB who got benched and then roamed the sidelines like a lost puppy all season, almost like he was literally on the wrong sideline. Obviously this is just anecdotal but I think to some extent it speaks to the disarray and lack of leadership amongst the players.

I think the psychology of the team was a factor this year. They came in un-confident from no real experience overall. The pasting by MSU reinforced the" I cant do side" of confidence (wrong 1st opponent for this group) Past leaders were gone and did not seem like anyone developed till Chris Bergen late in the season...on offense where traditionally the qb is the leader we were in chaos...Marty could lead but did not perform....and then when you play at 100% and realize you are just not good enough...that opposing players are bigger,stronger.etc..what does that do to your psyche . Then you have to readjust on both sides of the ball cuz you are unsuccessful and all the negative stuff fills your bucket.....not ideal for performance
So
a team with little experience
1. Loses some key players for the season (thin margin to begin with)and experience leaders gone.
2 Steamrolled by MSU to start season.(bad luck this was 1st game) created doubt.
3. Watches qb disintegrate at Duke. . and ray of hope Marty gets injured...offense now in chaos and adapting with no real leader.
4.Change defensive scheme early cuz, either doesnt work..cant learn or dont have personnel.
5.Got flat our obliterated by Nebraska confirmed doubt....bye week gives ray of hope
6. Regroup have our best stretch against Rutgers, Mich and Iowa
.7 Iowa taught us our absolute best was not good enough.
.8 TIred and discouraged we rolled down hill to the end of the season.
Now with many of the same players coming back how do you re-instill the confidence that you are not who you thought you were at the end of the Season......not just in players, but recruits and fan base...Houdini where are you? So you can say we dont have kids that are tough enough..but I think we had kids who this year just were not good enough and they came to eventually realize that. But I respect them for enduring what must have been an incredibly difficult year for them.

True enlightenment is knowing what you don't know.

What we know:
We won the west in 2020
We sucked in 2021
Hank retired / New DC with new scheme
2/3 of very experienced LB corps graduated
Lockdown CB graduated
Tackling sucked
Players often out of position on big plays

What we don't know:
The mindset of our players
If our players were too pleased with themselves
Why Kryic McGown fumbled (my explanation above is as good as any)
Why Turk is Turk

True enlightenment is knowing what you don't know.

What we know:
We won the west in 2020
We sucked in 2021
Hank retired / New DC with new scheme
2/3 of very experienced LB corps graduated
Lockdown CB graduated
Tackling sucked
Players often out of position on big plays

What we don't know:
The mindset of our players
If our players were too pleased with themselves
Why Kryic McGown fumbled (my explanation above is as good as any)
Why Turk is Turk
What we know:
We won the west in 2020-Great and we went to the Rose Bowl in 1995.
We sucked in 2021-The record indicates this.
Hank retired / New DC with new scheme-And we hired a DC with no known success prior to this
2/3 of very experienced LB corps graduated-This came as a surprise as if Fisher and Gallagher were going to play for 8 years?
Lockdown CB graduated- Because you can only have one and not develop more.
Tackling sucked- Known problem for quite some time as evidenced by Sept games for the last 4 years.
Players often out of position on big plays- Players fault or scheme? Smart kids at NU so doubt they just 'blew it".
What we know to be controllable:
Are they prepared to play an opponent?
In most cases they did not look prepared as evidenced at QB.
Mental Mistakes- Did this team make controllable errors i.e. false starts, illegal procedures, offsides, delay of game, fumbling, not recovering onsside kicks? YES. Way more than any team in memory.
Did the team give-up? Based on comments made by opposing players; yes.
Have you assessed the talent available to you for 2022 to properly assess recruiting needs? No. After any hope of a bowl game had dissipated we stubbornly played seniors like Bergin, Marty, and Spivak (and before you defend Bergin as the tackling leader in the B1G he also had virtually no tackles for loss, pass break-ups, or interceptions. He was run over more times than the garbage on Dempster Ave.) Spivak should have gotten a NIL from Hungry Jack pancakes. Marty was a human turnover machine. If the 2d string sucked as some of you believe we sure as hell never saw them. It would be the best way to shut us up. But I guess we won't know and neither will Fitz because we don't know what needs to be fixed for the 2022s campaign! Real Smart.

Additionally, by not playing underclassmen, we start next year without a cadre of upcoming leaders who know how to lead on the field. You 'hope' this emerges but this should be cultivated.

Reactions: techtim72
Has anyone watched The Journey this season? (I haven't)

I ask because historically that show would give a pretty reliable glimpse into the team dynamic, peer leadership, etc.
I assume this is a reference to "The Foundation" on NBCSN Chicago, not BTN's "The Journey" which surveys the full conference with profiles.

I enjoy the Dave Eanet narrated series. O'Neil cursing out the defense during halftime at Duke was probably my favorite part. I thought there'd be one more episode, but it would be aired tomorrow if the schedule was kept, and no future episode is scheduled yet. Positive media about this team is the most Soviet propaganda to come out of Fitz's program yet.

Such a bold faced lie. Fitzgerald at least twice brought in one of his fat Olinemen to score against illinois with the game well out of hand. Once against Beckie and then against Lovie….

What nobody will say? You just said it.😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT