ADVERTISEMENT

NU in strong position with Top100 SG Tamar Bates

Comments don’t seem as strong to me versus some of the other schools. Maybe because it’s also because he hasn’t done his visit yet. From a surface level read of various comments, we seem to be in much stronger position for PBJ and Christie and probably Luke Goode.

Hope the Ty Berry connection helps. Stealing an in-state kid from Kansas would be a huge coup, probably harder than beating out Coach K for Illinois kids.

Comments don’t seem as strong to me versus some of the other schools. Maybe because it’s also because he hasn’t done his visit yet. From a surface level read of various comments, we seem to be in much stronger position for PBJ and Christie and probably Luke Goode.

Hope the Ty Berry connection helps. Stealing an in-state kid from Kansas would be a huge coup, probably harder than beating out Coach K for Illinois kids.
Agreed. Still,let's sign em up!

I know I will get a lot of negative feedback from this but with both the football team and basketball team having horrendous years on the field I think next year in recruiting will be our worst year in a while for both teams.

goode is gone. I think Collins is playing a dangerous game of poker. I hope it works out

No way Collins would have turned down Goode if he wanted to come. He had a fully committable offer. Give our coaches a little now credit than that.

Had a committable offer, of course. Would've taken him, of course. Doesn't mean coaches liked his game. They thought he had slow feet and was comparable to (but worse than) Miller. Preferred other people over him anyway, so not a big loss.

No way Collins would have turned down Goode if he wanted to come. He had a fully committable offer. Give our coaches a little now credit than that.

Well they did turn down a commitment from Saddiq Bey a couple years ago and he only ended up being an All-American this year and a potential lottery pick. You can choose the guys you'd really like but you never know how it's eventually going to turn out.

Well they did turn down a commitment from Saddiq Bey a couple years ago and he only ended up being an All-American this year and a potential lottery pick. You can choose the guys you'd really like but you never know how it's eventually going to turn out.
We turned down Bey???

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
I think NU could of had both. There was a fear of upsetting Kopp by taking Bey as well because I think both were being recruited as the "only wing" in the class.

I really hope this is not true. It's one thing if Kopp committed and NU backed off Bey a bit. Fine, that makes sense, Collins got his wing, time to focus more on the 2019 class.

But if Bey was still interested, so much so that he wanted to commit, and NU said "sorry, we already have our wing," THAT would not be ok in my book.

I really hope this is not true. It's one thing if Kopp committed and NU backed off Bey a bit. Fine, that makes sense, Collins got his wing, time to focus more on the 2019 class.

But if Bey was still interested, so much so that he wanted to commit, and NU said "sorry, we already have our wing," THAT would not be ok in my book.

but, if you recruit a kid saying "you are the only wing we are going to take" - and then take another wing - thats ok?

but, if you recruit a kid saying "you are the only wing we are going to take" - and then take another wing - thats ok?

CCC: "We only intend to take to take one wing in the class. We hope it will be you."

Kopp commits.

CCC honors his word by backing off Bey and making that known to Kopp. But suppose Bey wants to commit anyway. What's CCC to do? If he believes he will be difference maker at least on par with Kopp, he should accept the commitment.

CCC: "As I said, I only intended to take one wing in this class. I made that known to Saddiq months ago, but he recently reached out asking if I would reconsider. He is a player who I believe could team up with you to take us to the next level as a program. I hope you understand."

If Kopp decommits, CCC still has, in his estimation, an equally good wing. If Kopp welcomes the addition to the class, then NU has two highly promising wings.

CCC: "We only intend to take to take one wing in the class. We hope it will be you."

Kopp commits.

CCC honors his word by backing off Bey and making that known to Kopp. But suppose Bey wants to commit anyway. What's CCC to do? If he believes he will be difference maker at least on par with Kopp, he should accept the commitment.

CCC: "As I said, I only intended to take one wing in this class. I made that known to Saddiq months ago, but he recently reached out asking if I would reconsider. He is a player who I believe could team up with you to take us to the next level as a program. I hope you understand."

If Kopp decommits, CCC still has, in his estimation, an equally good wing. If Kopp welcomes the addition to the class, then NU has two highly promising wings.

mate you quoting conversations you’ve never heard :). We don’t know what really happened but if we lost Bey because CC honored his word then that’s simply the right thing to do.

mate you quoting conversations you’ve never heard :). We don’t know what really happened but if we lost Bey because CC honored his word then that’s simply the right thing to do.

Right, if Kopp committed after Collins promising him that he will be the only wing recuit, then Collins can't back out of that promise without looking bad. No guarantees that Kopp has all his other options open when he chooses to decommit.

Right, if Kopp committed after Collins promising him that he will be the only wing recuit, then Collins can't back out of that promise without looking bad. No guarantees that Kopp has all his other options open when he chooses to decommit.

Its not about just looking bad, its about integrity. I don't want to root for a university sports program that lacks integrity. I don't expect perfection but if a promise was made then it should be kept.

Reactions: Inovacat
Its not about just looking bad, its about integrity. I don't want to root for a university sports program that lacks integrity. I don't expect perfection but if a promise was made then it should be kept.

I have no problem with the idea of "if you commit to us, you have a spot, regardless of what happens." That is good policy and if Collins ever backed out of a commitment because someone better came along and they needed the spot, I'd be upset.

But to extend that promise to "you have a spot and we will not take anyone else at a similar position no matter the circumstances, even if we have a roster spot open and it would make our team better" seems kinda dumb?

I have no problem with the idea of "if you commit to us, you have a spot, regardless of what happens." That is good policy and if Collins ever backed out of a commitment because someone better came along and they needed the spot, I'd be upset.

But to extend that promise to "you have a spot and we will not take anyone else at a similar position no matter the circumstances, even if we have a roster spot open and it would make our team better" seems kinda dumb?
Isn't that last paragraph, exactly what Fitz tells all recruits?

No one is forcing Collins to make that promise. If he used that tool to recruit a player, he should keep his word.

The thing that don't get is that are Kopp and Bey really wings (granted, that may be what they were projected as in HS, but players get bigger and stronger)?

Why would Kopp have a problem w/ Bey being in the same class, when Nance at 6-8/205 could have been considered a wing as well?

Bey is now 6-8/216 lbs and could play the stretch-4.

While Kopp is developing into a good player, Bey is already elite.

.602 eFG in the BE
.484 from 3 pt range

Bey wouldn't be competing w/ Kopp for starting spot; he would have taken it away from Nance.

The team/program would have a completely different outlook w/ Kopp and Bey manning the forward spots and Boo, Berry, Audige at guard.

Coble and Shurna were similar in many ways, but if it weren't for the unfortunate events, the 2 would have manned the F spots.

Isn't that last paragraph, exactly what Fitz tells all recruits?

No, it's the paragraph before. "If you commit to us, you have a spot, regardless of what happens."

That is very different from saying if there's a best available option who wants to commit to us, we will pass on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT