ADVERTISEMENT

NU Injury Report for Stanford

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern Football Injury Report – Week 1 (at No. 25 Stanford)

Saturday, August 31 - 1:00 p.m. PT
Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)
FOX: Joe Davis, Brock Huard, Bruce Feldman
WGN720: Dave Eanet, Ted Albrecht, Adam Hoge

Week 1 Injury Update
NONE

Keep in mind that NU only reports injuries for guys listed on the two-deep. So even though Pugh and Stovall are out, they are not listed here.

Reactions: Titanium999
Northwestern Football Injury Report – Week 1 (at No. 25 Stanford)

Saturday, August 31 - 1:00 p.m. PT
Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)
FOX: Joe Davis, Brock Huard, Bruce Feldman
WGN720: Dave Eanet, Ted Albrecht, Adam Hoge

Week 1 Injury Update
NONE

Keep in mind that NU only reports injuries for guys listed on the two-deep. So even though Pugh and Stovall are out, they are not listed here.

That seems odd to me. I have a hard time believing Pugh and Stovall are not on the two deep as both guys were expected to challenge for starting roles.

Almost like Fitz doesn’t care about two deeps or injury reports. Weird.

Of course, but he’s tightened the screws on that stance pretty significantly the last couple years. It is what it is and I’m good with it, but no doubt Fitz is giving even less shits about those than just two years ago.

Of course, but he’s tightened the screws on that stance pretty significantly the last couple years. It is what it is and I’m good with it, but no doubt Fitz is giving even less shits about those than just two years ago.
maybe it's time that the NCAA makes it mandatory that all injuries need to be reported. I don't mean that injuries have to be identified, just that players should be noted as in, out or maybe. This kind of secrecy is more like lying.

Reactions: mikero3 and IGNORE
maybe it's time that the NCAA makes it mandatory that all injuries need to be reported. I don't mean that injuries have to be identified, just that players should be noted as in, out or maybe. This kind of secrecy is more like lying.

Why would/should they do that?

Why would/should they do that?
To keep gamblers from tempting players with offers of money for inside info on injuries. Now that sports betting is legal in so many places, and you know that before long the NCAA will be in bed with Daily Fantasy services and other gambling entities, the NCAA will have an obligation to be more transparent.

Reactions: mikero3
To keep gamblers from tempting players with offers of money for inside info on injuries. Now that sports betting is legal in so many places, and you know that before long the NCAA will be in bed with Daily Fantasy services and other gambling entities, the NCAA will have an obligation to be more transparent.

That's a stretch.

That's a stretch.
If you say so, but that's why the NFL does it. Money talks, and the fantasy companies and gambling companies are going to want transparency if they are going to pay the NCAA for advertising and partnerships. If you think the NCAA is going to choose privacy and secrecy over money, then let me introduce you to the NCAA.

Well, we know that as of yesterday all the players on the 2 deep were healthy enough to play tomorrow.

That's good news in my book. About the healthiest, most talented team I can recall.
Oh certainly it is. It's great news to come out of camp that way. I just find it funny that he only lists on the injury report players that are on the 2 deep, and he only lists on the 2 deep players that are healthy enough to play.

I'm totally with GCG's stance on this one though and on board with Fitz, it's just funny logic.

Well, we know that as of yesterday all the players on the 2 deep were healthy enough to play tomorrow.

That's good news in my book. About the healthiest, most talented team I can recall.
Btw... not to rain on the parade, I realize this is about to be a lame Debbie downer comment, but does it worry anyone that with literally zero injuries (maybe excluding Stovall and Pugh), we didn't do enough hitting in camp to be prepped for game 1? There's always a balance between the two sides of the spectrum...

Btw... not to rain on the parade, I realize this is about to be a lame Debbie downer comment, but does it worry anyone that with literally zero injuries (maybe excluding Stovall and Pugh), we didn't do enough hitting in camp to be prepped for game 1? There's always a balance between the two sides of the spectrum...

No.

Bingo. Mandated injury reports, similar to the NFL, will likely be coming to college football now that gambling is being legalized. That's not just me talking, either. NU staffers feel the same way.

Bingo. Mandated injury reports, similar to the NFL, will likely be coming to college football now that gambling is being legalized. That's not just me talking, either. NU staffers feel the same way.
Probably.

But how can they reasonably enforce this? What if a kid says "I don't want you to comment publicly about my injury"? Since these aren't employees they have the right to privacy. College athletics catering to the gambling industry is just wrong IMHO.

I am confused. Is not gambling legislation within the province of state law? If so, the "legalization" of gambling on college football is anything but uniform. One state could hardly force the NCAA to institute policies just to benefit the gamblers in its jurisdiction. The NCAA is engaged in interstate commerce, which is pre-empted from state regulation by the Constitution. Accordingly, no state has authority over the NCAA, the various conferences, or any school outside of the its borders. NU, the Big Ten, and the NCAA would seem to have a great deal of leverage in fighting any attempt to force colleges to issue injury reports in order to benefit a pernicious gambling cabal.

Probably.

But how can they reasonably enforce this? What if a kid says "I don't want you to comment publicly about my injury"? Since these aren't employees they have the right to privacy. College athletics catering to the gambling industry is just wrong IMHO.
Is it an impermissible violation of privacy to list injured players as "probable", "questionable" or "out" like the NFL does?

Is it an impermissible violation of privacy to list injured players as "probable", "questionable" or "out" like the NFL does?
It is if the player says it is. And what happens if a player identified as "Probable" doesn't play because during warm-ups he decides he cannot go? Fine the coach?

Just an unworkable situation.

It is if the player says it is. And what happens if a player identified as "Probable" doesn't play because during warm-ups he decides he cannot go? Fine the coach?

Just an unworkable situation.

If it works for the NFL, I don’t see why it can’t work for colleges.

I am confused. Is not gambling legislation within the province of state law? If so, the "legalization" of gambling on college football is anything but uniform. One state could hardly force the NCAA to institute policies just to benefit the gamblers in its jurisdiction. The NCAA is engaged in interstate commerce, which is pre-empted from state regulation by the Constitution. Accordingly, no state has authority over the NCAA, the various conferences, or any school outside of the its borders. NU, the Big Ten, and the NCAA would seem to have a great deal of leverage in fighting any attempt to force colleges to issue injury reports in order to benefit a pernicious gambling cabal.
It has nothing to do with the state forcing anyone. A private company, or several private companies like Draft Kings or FanDuel or some sports betting house chain will come to the NCAA and say "We'd like to back up a truck full of money and dump it into your laps. In exchange for this money, we'd like you to call us 'The official gaming partners of NCAA football'. In addition to that, because our clients (gamblers) appreciate information and transparency, we'd like you to require all your member schools to publicly release an injury report 48 hours prior to every game."

Does the NCAA acquiesce to this request and accept the money? Or does the NCAA turn down the truckload of money? I think we all know the answer to that.

Probably.

I am not sure what you are asking to have enforced. The issue is full disclosure of the possibility that an expected contributor won't play, not ex post facto judgment of the accuracy of the injury report or the nature of an injury.

Reactions: willycat

On the list of things I’m concerned about, this doesn’t come close to the top. NU is always as ready to be physical as any team out there (except maybe the OL, but I trust Anderson has fixed that).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT