ADVERTISEMENT

NU's Ty Berry one of top "value adds" in 2020 class

Berry is an excellent get. I also think Nicholson has potential.

Zed Key will be a player for OSU.

Berry is an excellent get. I also think Nicholson has potential.

Zed Key will be a player for OSU.

Excited to see Berry as well. What do y'all think, does he play the 1 or the 2 next year? I say both and think he subs in for whichever guard (Gaines or Buie) needs a break.

Excited to see Berry as well. What do y'all think, does he play the 1 or the 2 next year? I say both and think he subs in for whichever guard (Gaines or Buie) needs a break.

We need him at both. He backs up Buie at PG but we could use them both to handle the ball in the backcourt. I don't see any other good ball-handlers so we'll need to use our length and height to break pressure at times.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks

Buie's shot selection was dreadful at the end of the season. If Berry is ready to play big minutes and Buie continues with those decisions, I can't see Collins planting Berry on the bench.

Berry has such an advantage playing where he plays. Sunrise's schedule speaks for itself and guys who come from powerhouse programs often come better prepared to deal with the jump in athleticism and speed of the game.

BTW, I'm sure Berry will be on the ball at times, but he isn't the primary ballhandler on his prep team. I really think NU and other high major programs may be making a mistake in not recruiting Berry's teammate, Dillon Jones. He is the playmaker for the Sunrise. He goes about 6'6", 220/225. He's not a jet, he's not a leaper, but he's a great passer, is equally good with either hand, and just has that something that you can't quantify. He had some major conference schools sniffing around, but aside from his homestate South Carolina offering, the rest of offers look like low-major schools with maybe a couple mid-majors. I'm telling you, he's one of those players who two/three years from now you might see on the portal, and getting belated attention from major conference schools.

Buie's shot selection was dreadful at the end of the season. If Berry is ready to play big minutes and Buie continues with those decisions, I can't see Collins planting Berry on the bench.

Berry has such an advantage playing where he plays. Sunrise's schedule speaks for itself and guys who come from powerhouse programs often come better prepared to deal with the jump in athleticism and speed of the game.

BTW, I'm sure Berry will be on the ball at times, but he isn't the primary ballhandler on his prep team. I really think NU and other high major programs may be making a mistake in not recruiting Berry's teammate, Dillon Jones. He is the playmaker for the Sunrise. He goes about 6'6", 220/225. He's not a jet, he's not a leaper, but he's a great passer, is equally good with either hand, and just has that something that you can't quantify. He had some major conference schools sniffing around, but aside from his homestate South Carolina offering, the rest of offers look like low-major schools with maybe a couple mid-majors. I'm telling you, he's one of those players who two/three years from now you might see on the portal, and getting belated attention from major conference schools.

I watched many Sunrise games this season, and Berry was definitely their primary ballhandler. Willie Lightfoot ('22) is a PG (not a combo), so Berry would move to the 2 when he was on the floor, but Berry started all but a few games for Sunrise at the 1. Northwestern did look at Jones, as did other Power 5 schools, and I think their assessment was that his athleticism and skills didn't quite translate to the B1G. But I really like Jones, too. Led Sunrise in rebounding, steals, and assists playing off the ball. I agree that he'll make some D1 coach really happy. I think he is a glue guy that does all the small, winning hustle things that aren't as glamorous. He's getting lots of mid-major attention.

I agree that playing at Sunrise gives Berry a leg up, but it will still be another big jump from there to the B1G. He'll still be a freshman...sorry, first-year.

That's a good point. Audige has played college ball and has been in the program for a year and has had a year of Big 10 conditioning and strength training. Very possible that Audige is the first guard off the bench. Or are you suggesting that Audige might actually start?

Last edited:
Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
I agree that playing at Sunrise gives Berry a leg up, but it will still be another big jump from there to the B1G. He'll still be a freshman...sorry, first-year.

Based on his level of play against top HS talent, one would think that Berry should be on the level of Juice or BMac as a frosh (or going back further, TJ).

Based on the level of buzz around the kid, should, at the very least, be able to put up Sobo #s (10 ppg, 4 apg - 38.4%)

What like the most is that the 'Cats will have 3 players who can bring the ball up, when in the past, have been overly reliant on 1 ball-handler.

Reactions: DaCat
Based on his level of play against top HS talent, one would think that Berry should be on the level of Juice or BMac as a frosh (or going back further, TJ).

Based on the level of buzz around the kid, should, at the very least, be able to put up Sobo #s (10 ppg, 4 apg - 38.4%)

What like the most is that the 'Cats will have 3 players who can bring the ball up, when in the past, have been overly reliant on 1 ball-handler.

Kind of forgot how well Sobo played as a frosh.
Buie's final numbers: 10.3 ppg, 2.4 assists, 37.6%.

Hopefully Berry can top those numbers.

Sobo had an under-appreciated handle.

There were times when CC would use Sobo when BMac had trouble bringing up the ball against full-court pressure.

Sobo had his limitations, but definitely could have used someone like him when Boo was injured and esp. for the 2018-19 season.

Interesting comparison. Probably why "stats are for losers".

I think, as Lou's article intimates, that Berry will bring as many intangibles as stats. He'll bring energy, leadership, and passion along with scoring and passing.

I'm expecting solid and steady contributions on the court, not sensational ones, his first season.

The value of multiple scoring options cannot be understated!

Kopp, Buie, berry, audige, can free our offense and open the inside up. can't wait

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT