ADVERTISEMENT

Obituary Time

WildAboutThePurple

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2018
As bad of a mood as that game has put me in, I keep trying to find positives out of it and cant seem to find any. We simply cannot play with the better teams in college basketball this season. The talent gap is still there. Offensively there is no rythem whatsoever. We are an average basketball team in the world of College Basketball.
I believe it is an absolute joke that Collins doesnt at least try inserting Brown in there to see what happens. Even if it is just for 5-7 minutes. Try it for crying out loud. Its time to start writing at least the first page of the obituary on this season.
I would support an NIT run if the opportunity was presented, but anyone who has watched more than half of our games knows that this is a team with many flaws and we have seen several games where we havent even reached 50 points.
Ok, enough of me stating the obvious. I will cheer every game until there arnt anymore left because Im an NU fan through and through and these players deserve our support for what they did for us last season.
I feel all your pain tonight. That was an ugly one, but on to Wisconsin.
Go Cats!!!

As bad of a mood as that game has put me in, I keep trying to find positives out of it and cant seem to find any. We simply cannot play with the better teams in college basketball this season. The talent gap is still there. Offensively there is no rythem whatsoever. We are an average basketball team in the world of College Basketball.
I believe it is an absolute joke that Collins doesnt at least try inserting Brown in there to see what happens. Even if it is just for 5-7 minutes. Try it for crying out loud. Its time to start writing at least the first page of the obituary on this season.
I would support an NIT run if the opportunity was presented, but anyone who has watched more than half of our games knows that this is a team with many flaws and we have seen several games where we havent even reached 50 points.
Ok, enough of me stating the obvious. I will cheer every game until there arnt anymore left because Im an NU fan through and through and these players deserve our support for what they did for us last season.
I feel all your pain tonight. That was an ugly one, but on to Wisconsin.
Go Cats!!!
We have nobody that can cut to the hoop so we just keep circling around the perimeter. Falzon has absolutely no shot at all inside the perimeter. Teams figured us out, just guard against the 3 and we can't do squat. And on defense, it's really hard for us to get a steal but we aren't playing bad. We are a good team that is borderline NIT, about as good as we were 2 years ago. Last year, Brown broke down defenses and it opened up 3s. I think Brown/Collins = Carmody/Coble. Not good.

We have nobody that can cut to the hoop so we just keep circling around the perimeter. Falzon has absolutely no shot at all inside the perimeter. Teams figured us out, just guard against the 3 and we can't do squat. And on defense, it's really hard for us to get a steal but we aren't playing bad. We are a good team that is borderline NIT, about as good as we were 2 years ago. Last year, Brown broke down defenses and it opened up 3s. I think Brown/Collins = Carmody/Coble. Not good.

I think it looks more and more like Brown is on the way out and will only collect garbage time along the walk ons.

Rule of thumb: Never panic after a road loss to a top 25 team. Last year's team wouldn't have been favored to beat a top 25 team on the road, either.

Let's see how NU does when they host Michigan. That's pretty much a must-win, probably an NIT-clincher if they can pull it off (assuming NU wins the remaining games that they're supposed to). But I'm not ready to pull the plug on the season after NU drops a road game to a top 25 opponent.

It would be really nice to beat a very vulnerable Wisconsin team on the road, too.

Reactions: LansingCat
whats interesting is that this team can win the next 2 and get to 6-6 - and squeak out 3 more wins and end up being a .500 team in the conference
And that would still leave us needing a run to the BTT final to even be on the bubble. Hey, I love the optimism but when we are scoring in the 40s in the games against the better competition we dont deserve to be anywhere but sitting out of march madness. Im hoping for the NIT at this point just to extend the season.

Rule of thumb: Never panic after a road loss to a top 25 team. Last year's team wouldn't have been favored to beat a top 25 team on the road, either.

Let's see how NU does when they host Michigan. That's pretty much a must-win, probably an NIT-clincher if they can pull it off (assuming NU wins the remaining games that they're supposed to). But I'm not ready to pull the plug on the season after NU drops a road game to a top 25 opponent.

It would be really nice to beat a very vulnerable Wisconsin team on the road, too.
Thinking back on my three decades of watching NU hoops, yesterday's performance was definitely an above average Cat performance in Crisler Arena and likely in the top 5 over the past 30 years. Yes, this can be explained by the program's sordid history but it is the reality of playing road games in the Big Ten against a very good program.

And that would still leave us needing a run to the BTT final to even be on the bubble. Hey, I love the optimism but when we are scoring in the 40s in the games against the better competition we dont deserve to be anywhere but sitting out of march madness. Im hoping for the NIT at this point just to extend the season.
Would it? I was told by someone that in 2015-16 we were actually offered NIT (contrary to the belief that we did not qualify for it) but Collins and company apparently turned it down.

whats interesting is that this team can win the next 2 and get to 6-6 - and squeak out 3 more wins and end up being a .500 team in the conference

while that is true, they are also predicted to be an underdog in every game but 1 the rest of the season by KenPom.

Would it? I was told by someone that in 2015-16 we were actually offered NIT (contrary to the belief that we did not qualify for it) but Collins and company apparently turned it down.
I don't believe it and I've never heard that from anybody else.

I would bet that the 'Cats were offered a CBI invite and turned it down.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

no doubt. i think there is no chance at post-season. our out of conference doomed that. but so few teams in NU history have finished .500 - thats still were we are at as program - much like football winning 10 games and then winning 5 the next year

Umm, no.

You’re thinking CBI.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT