ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic but interesting: facts about the color purple

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
It’s kinda slow on the boards these days so maybe time to pursue some trivia!

I found this article about the color purple interesting, and full of useless but surprising facts such as: ….only one national flag has the color purple in it.

And this purple piece of info you may (or may not) want to share.

“Starting possibly as far back as the 16th century BCE, Phoenicians (whose name derives from a Greek word for “purple”) derived the dye from dehydrated mucus glands behind the creature’s rectum. Each mollusk yielded extremely limited amounts of dye, requiring a staggering 12,000 mollusks to produce just one gram of the stuff.”

So enjoy this article Purple Wildcat fans!

Last edited:
Then there is "Purple Mountains' Majesty."

Pictured is an erupting Purple Mountain as I photographed it on the Island of Kyushu this past March. Even the erupting ash looks Purple.

To stpaulcat's point, Okinawa's famed Purple Sweet Potatoes are claimed to be a food responsible for the long lives of Okinawans.

IMG_6403_4d9TUQPb23hNV5xS4TQSfx.jpg

This from the Japan Airlines "Guide to Japan:"

Okinawa is recognized as a “Blue Zone” of longevity. (Actually a Purple-ish "Blue". :). )

What does that mean exactly? It means those who are lucky enough to call this serene place home are known to live wonderfully long and satisfying lives. With approximately 68 per 100,000 Okinawans living to become centenarians – or celebrating their 100th birthday – researchers have long been fascinated by how this place keeps people so healthy.

While the Okinawan diet is heavily based around locally grown ingredients, there’s also a deep focus on developing a healthy mindset and maintaining an active lifestyle.

The color purple was created by The Sumerians extracted a pigment from mollusks.

It’s kinda slow on the boards these days so maybe time to pursue some trivia!

I found this article about the color purple interesting, and full of useless but surprising facts such as: ….only one national flag has the color purple in it.

And this purple piece of info you may (or may not) want to share.

“Starting possibly as far back as the 16th century BCE, Phoenicians (whose name derives from a Greek word for “purple”) derived the dye from dehydrated mucus glands behind the creature’s rectum. Each mollusk yielded extremely limited amounts of dye, requiring a staggering 12,000 mollusks to produce just one gram of the stuff.”

So enjoy this article Purple Wildcat fans!
I stumbled into this place while in Myrtle Beach earlier this week. Great place for a NU grad. but no NU swag unfortunately. https://www.purpleologist.com/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT