ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator???

He 27 and has no coordinator experience at any level.
He’s asking if Lou Ayeni will be the guy with Rees reporting into him.

I think he’s 38 or 39 now and has been a running game coordinator, but unfortunately has limited-to-no exposure with managing the passing game.

For my two cents: I hope Fitz hires a new OC to further mentor Ayeni for at least a couple of seasons if the plan is to ultimately make him the coordinator. Our issue has not been the running game so much as the passing game. NU football now has the money to hire someone really good and experienced at the B1G or pro level, and I think they should do so.

Reactions: drewjin and Rebel_

I think he’s 38 or 39 now and has been a running game coordinator, but unfortunately has limited-to-no exposure with managing the passing game.

For my two cents: I hope Fitz hires a new OC to further mentor Ayeni for at least a couple of seasons if the plan is to ultimately make him the coordinator. Our issue has not been the running game so much as the passing game. NU football now has the money to hire someone really good and experienced at the B1G or pro level, and I think they should do so.

Fair. Read too quickly.

Agree with you. Not sure Lou is quite ready yet, but he’s close.

All these tweets and speculation in the mainstream college football press about Rees tell me his agent/team are working the phones trying to get his name out there. My sense is that Fitz is not a big fan of this kind of self-promotion and job-seeking. But, you never know.

Reactions: NUCat320
All these tweets and speculation in the mainstream college football press about Rees tell me his agent/team are working the phones trying to get his name out there. My sense is that Fitz is not a big fan of this kind of self-promotion and job-seeking. But, you never know.
On the other hand, Rees is a fairly obvious option.
- local
- experience at NU
- developed Ian Book

Both Kafka and Rees fit this mold, and will always get mentioned as options.

Their agents wouldn’t be doing their job if reporters weren’t being reminded.

Somebody once said that there is no such thing as bad publicity. While the rules are different in today’s day and age with social media, I tend to agree with that tried-and-true maxim.

If Rees and other candidates are juicing the media to get their name in front of Fitz, then that is their prerogative. He’s old school but hopefully he considers all options to improve our O and get the program back on track.

This type of showboating makes the NU coaching positions slightly higher profile and thus may help Fitz and the AD gain momentum in finding the best possible fit.

Reactions: drewjin
Somebody once said that there is no such thing as bad publicity. While the rules are different in today’s day and age with social media, I tend to agree with that tried-and-true maxim.

If Rees and other candidates are juicing the media to get their name in front of Fitz, then that is their prerogative. He’s old school but hopefully he considers all options to improve our O and get the program back on track.

This type of showboating makes the NU coaching positions slightly higher profile and thus may help Fitz and the AD gain momentum in finding the best possible fit.

I think that Fitz is probably 10 steps ahead of us internet wizards. I'm sure he already has a list (and checking it twice) that isn't going to be influenced by a few tweets.

Reactions: NUCat320
I think that Fitz is probably 10 steps ahead of us internet wizards. I'm sure he already has a list (and checking it twice) that isn't going to be influenced by a few tweets.
Yeah, but we’re pretty smart and plugged-in here, aren’t we?

Texas and South Carolina are also in the OC market so far. Both have bigger fan bases and could pay more, but both have head coaches who might be out next year, so we can sell stability. (In his list of potential candidates, Teddy noted that Matt Canada was "said to be seeking a stable new home when he returns to coaching.")

How is Rees going to agree to that? He is already QB coach in a better situation. Why would he come for a lateral?

Only 10? He is slipping

Texas and South Carolina are also in the OC market so far. Both have bigger fan bases and could pay more, but both have head coaches who might be out next year, so we can sell stability. (In his list of potential candidates, Teddy noted that Matt Canada was "said to be seeking a stable new home when he returns to coaching.")
Gee, I didn't realize that NU was broke.

What earns you better job security than a U.S. Supreme Court Justice? Answer: Fitz's loyalty coupled with an offensive output ranking 25% or higher. Now that's stability.

Reactions: JournCat
That is why it may not be a bad thing to hire a hotshot OC who would probably leave for a bigger opportunity in a few years, if we retain Ayeni and groom him to take over when he’s ready.

Yes I think that’s a very reasonable path. Fitz has no shortage of options, just a matter of who has reciprocal interest.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT