ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
Actually thought it was quite solid today. Usually rises to the level of the game, and this was an Dance-level contest. Big thing was they let both teams play, which did play to our advantage, but was a pleasure to watch after the Illini game.They took some heat for the Scottie non-call up top, but thought they got that right as well, and even the play where Edwards flopped on Scottie I thought Scottie did put his shoulder into him

To me one of the great sequence was when Benson was batting with Haas, and Haas gave him the shoulder a few times, but Barret didn't flop and just stood his ground. Then with Pardon back in, he did the exact same thing vs. Haas, Haas backed off a bit and Dererk scored. They didn't call it one way, so they didn't call it the other way either, Good officiating, and fun to watch!

Actually thought it was quite solid today. Usually rises to the level of the game, and this was an Dance-level contest. Big thing was they let both teams play, which did play to our advantage, but was a pleasure to watch after the Illini game.They took some heat for the Scottie non-call up top, but thought they got that right as well, and even the play where Edwards flopped on Scottie I thought Scottie did put his shoulder into him

To me one of the great sequence was when Benson was batting with Haas, and Haas gave him the shoulder a few times, but Barret didn't flop and just stood his ground. Then with Pardon back in, he did the exact same thing vs. Haas, Haas backed off a bit and Dererk scored. They didn't call it one way, so they didn't call it the other way either, Good officiating, and fun to watch!
I'll second that. For once no complaints from me.

Interestingly, Teddy dropped this tweet...wondering what Collins said. Anyone know?

The athletic department didn't post the press conference like it normally does, and you can sort of get why ...

Collins was almost as angry as after the goaltend. Apparently Pardon caught an elbow from Haas (no foul or review, though) and needed stitches.

The athletic department didn't post the press conference like it normally does, and you can sort of get why ...

Collins was almost as angry as after the goaltend. Apparently Pardon caught an elbow from Haas (no foul or review, though) and needed stitches.
Except that he didn't need stitches and wasn't even bleeding, confirmed by several reporters....just a made up story by a bitter little man.....detracting from your team's gutty effort which should have been the story after this one.

Reactions: mathboy
I guess looking back at the free throw differential that is something to be mad about. Especially since we are a team that is fairly physical down low. I forgot about Pardon catching the elbow and it is ridiculous that they wouldn't review especially when they reviewed Scottie's.

Except that he didn't need stitches and wasn't even bleeding, confirmed by several reporters....just a made up story by a bitter little man.....detracting from your team's gutty effort which should have been the story after this one.
He was 100% bleeding. You could see it if you rewatch the game. Checks his tooth then immediately puts a towel to compress his mouth.

He was 100% bleeding. You could see it if you rewatch the game. Checks his tooth then immediately puts a towel to compress his mouth.
I meant after the game when the phantom stitches were to be needed, didn't happen, does your coach come up with fairy tales after every loss?

Reactions: Bippus33
Guess this answers yesterday’s thread about Brown’s health having affected his early season play?.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I agree the officiating looked pretty good to me. The sequence at the end, they let them play. Scottie actually bumped the guy to get the steal then after the Skelly miss, Scottie may have been touched on the wrist. Both may have been called earlier but let them play at the end.

What a whiny baby. Purdue’s post plays draw fouls. Northwestern’s jump shots don’t.

Reactions: Raynman92

He was right. Good for him. Sticking up for his guys.

What a whiny baby. Purdue’s post plays draw fouls. Northwestern’s jump shots don’t.
Eh, I think both teams took a pretty even % of jump shots vs. drives vs. post-ups. Doesn't mean we deserved more free throws, though.

As I texted during the game, this was the polar opposite of the Illinois game...refs were letting them play and be physical from the get go. I think we all prefer that, but must frustrating as a player to not know what you're going to get night to night.

Not happy. "Even when they were trying to foul, they didn't call it". :eek:

To be honest, I didn't even see the play that Pardon got hurt. Did anyone else?

So did Carsen Edwards. This was a great game by two excellent teams who played extremely hard. Poor response IMO to blame the loss on the Refs.

So did Carsen Edwards. This was a great game by two excellent teams who played extremely hard. Poor response IMO to blame the loss on the Refs.

Agreed, think it was an in-the-moment reaction since his player was getting stitches at the time. If they called more fouls both ways, it actually would have been bad for us...happened in the Illinois game and we were out of forwards at the end....

Agreed, think it was an in-the-moment reaction since his player was getting stitches at the time. If they called more fouls both ways, it actually would have been bad for us...happened in the Illinois game and we were out of forwards at the end....
I would have liked at least one call on Haas hooking with this 'bows in the paint, but what can you do. Never saw a replay of the Pardon elbow, so can't comment on it.

I meant after the game when the phantom stitches were to be needed, didn't happen, does your coach come up with fairy tales after every loss?
Hey big boy, why the hell are you on NU board. He obviously was bleeding and usually stitches solve that problem . The only fairy I see here is you.

While we're talking officiating does anybody else think Lindsey has a reputation with officials? I wouldn't blame them if he did. He mooooooooooooans about everything.

But in his defense, if there's anything close to a 50-50 call, he's going to get it.

Off the top of my head, there wasn't a horrible call today he should have received. There might have been one ticky tacky.

However, the idea there was even a discussion about a flagrant on that loose ball foul was ridiculous. The theory was quite an amazing feat. Lindsey uses the eyes in back of his head to size up Edwards (sp?) and purposely pop him in the mouth while Edwards was slipping and Lindsey is trying to get the ball.

You can tell one official was ready to call the flagrant, and the third needed to break the tie.

I don't think refs go out of their way to call one on Lindsey. But my guess is that crappy moaning has earned his a reputation that doesn't allow him much leeway.

While we're talking officiating does anybody else think Lindsey has a reputation with officials? I wouldn't blame them if he did. He mooooooooooooans about everything.

But in his defense, if there's anything close to a 50-50 call, he's going to get it.

Off the top of my head, there wasn't a horrible call today he should have received. There might have been one ticky tacky.

However, the idea there was even a discussion about a flagrant on that loose ball foul was ridiculous. The theory was quite an amazing feat. Lindsey uses the eyes in back of his head to size up Edwards (sp?) and purposely pop him in the mouth while Edwards was slipping and Lindsey is trying to get the ball.

You can tell one official was ready to call the flagrant, and the third needed to break the tie.

I don't think refs go out of their way to call one on Lindsey. But my guess is that crappy moaning has earned his a reputation that doesn't allow him much leeway.
The way the rule reads, intent does not matter. It was a flagrant foul, even though he did not intend to hit him in the face. Definitely accidental, but flagrant.

I would have liked at least one call on Haas hooking with this 'bows in the paint, but what can you do. Never saw a replay of the Pardon elbow, so can't comment on it.

There were one or two hooks by Haas on Pardon that were pretty bad and easy to spot. I don't think any were called.

On the flip side, he's so huge that he gets fouled a lot like on missed shots. Players slam into him and he's so huge he doesn't really move.

That last shot by Scottie wasn't a close call.

This is exactly right. If Lindsey's head is turned and he sees the other player before extending his arm he's in the locker room the rest of the game.

There were one or two hooks by Haas on Pardon that were pretty bad and easy to spot. I don't think any were called.

On the flip side, he's so huge that he gets fouled a lot like on missed shots. Players slam into him and he's so huge he doesn't really move.

That last shot by Scottie wasn't a close call.

Can you elaborate on your last sentence about the close call?

It was a foul. Way too much hand on skin, with the shooter's hand knocked sideways.

There’s an iu fan who posts on the the main rivals board who is also a basketball referee. He obviously dislikes Purdue but said it was a good no call/wasn’t a foul on Haarms.

He said Haarms went straight up, didn’t bring his arms down, and made a good defensive play.

If they called that a foul, they would’ve had to have called a foul when Cline got the rebound on the missed free throw (it should’ve either been a foul or a timeout), or when Vince got the rebound on the missed shot before Lindsey’s last attempt as Vince got bumped. With the way they called the game, it was a good no call. Why Lindsey thought it’d be a good idea to try to shoot over Haarms is beyond me.

There’s an iu fan who posts on the the main rivals board who is also a basketball referee. He obviously dislikes Purdue but said it was a good no call/wasn’t a foul on Haarms.

He said Haarms went straight up, didn’t bring his arms down, and made a good defensive play.

If they called that a foul, they would’ve had to have called a foul when Cline got the rebound on the missed free throw (it should’ve either been a foul or a timeout), or when Vince got the rebound on the missed shot before Lindsey’s last attempt as Vince got bumped. With the way they called the game, it was a good no call. Why Lindsey thought it’d be a good idea to try to shoot over Haarms is beyond me.

I didn't see it the same as the IU guy. If Haarms pulls his arm back sooner he's free and clear. There was some follow through which hit the shooter's wrist and sent hands and wrist sideways.

But I don't attribute that call or officiating to NU losing. You need to find a way to convert at the end and NU didn't.

Huge discrepancy in free throws but I felt the officiating was even.

Just took a quick look at BTN highlights. The live shot was the sideline camera and it didn't look too bad at all. The replay was baseline camera and you can see the shooter's hand go sideways from contact.

Just took a quick look at BTN highlights. The live shot was the sideline camera and it didn't look too bad at all. The replay was baseline camera and you can see the shooter's hand go sideways from contact.

He never should’ve even had the opportunity though. He clearly fouled Vince Edwards before Skelly tried that 3 attempt. That was a no call that could’ve helped us too. Bad officiating both ways.

I agree there's several reasons the Cats aren't going to get that call.

a) Home court.
b) Let 'em play in the last seconds of a game.
c) It's AWFULLY close whether Haarms goes straight up or not.
d) My theory: Lindsey doesn't get spit for calls. I don't care if it's 20 seconds left in the game or 20 seconds into the game. He's going to show up a ref and tell him how wrong he is.

In the end, B10 and NCAA referees are horribly inconsistent - not just within single games, but from game to game. It's a mystery how a game will be called. Does anybody really think for a second 20 more total fouls should have been called in regulation of the Illinois game as opposed to the Purdue game (48-27)?

NO WAY!! That Purdue game was far more physical.

I wish the friggin' NCAA would get this under control because I think how fouls are called is becoming more and more of an NBA-like, whim-of-the-moment mystery.

Yep, not one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT