ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

Just took a quick look at BTN highlights. The live shot was the sideline camera and it didn't look too bad at all. The replay was baseline camera and you can see the shooter's hand go sideways from contact.

Doesn't matter what the shooter's hand does, the defender is entitled to his space, straight up. If Haarms went straight up with hands straight up, its not a foul. I have had to explain this to far too many people when reffing games.

Doesn't matter what the shooter's hand does, the defender is entitled to his space, straight up. If Haarms went straight up with hands straight up, its not a foul. I have had to explain this to far too many people when reffing games.

Figured we should post the video.

I agree there's several reasons the Cats aren't going to get that call.

a) Home court.
b) Let 'em play in the last seconds of a game.
c) It's AWFULLY close whether Haarms goes straight up or not.
d) My theory: Lindsey doesn't get spit for calls. I don't care if it's 20 seconds left in the game or 20 seconds into the game. He's going to show up a ref and tell him how wrong he is.

In the end, B10 and NCAA referees are horribly inconsistent - not just within single games, but from game to game. It's a mystery how a game will be called. Does anybody really think for a second 20 more total fouls should have been called in regulation of the Illinois game as opposed to the Purdue game (48-27)?

NO WAY!! That Purdue game was far more physical.

I wish the friggin' NCAA would get this under control because I think how fouls are called is becoming more and more of an NBA-like, whim-of-the-moment mystery.

It would be easy to reduce fouls called by a 1/3-eliminate one ref

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Plenty of missed calls both ways. I don't think one side of the other was greatly favored. I'd yell at the TYV about a missed call one way, then kind of say "oh well" when they missed one going the other way.

My issue was the implication by Collins that Haas made a dirty play that caused physical damage to one of your players. That turned out to be a lie. No stitches, and no blood as far as I can tell. I think Collins was off-base disparaging both the referees and Haas in that situation, and owes an apology to the player at least.

Plenty of missed calls both ways. I don't think one side of the other was greatly favored. I'd yell at the TYV about a missed call one way, then kind of say "oh well" when they missed one going the other way.

My issue was the implication by Collins that Haas made a dirty play that caused physical damage to one of your players. That turned out to be a lie. No stitches, and no blood as far as I can tell. I think Collins was off-base disparaging both the referees and Haas in that situation, and owes an apology to the player at least.

I viewed Collins' comments as 100% about the officiating and 0% about Haas.

Haas is a clean player and an exceptionally nice guy from everything I've read.

I viewed Collins' comments as 100% about the officiating and 0% about Haas.

Haas is a clean player and an exceptionally nice guy from everything I've read.
He really is a super kid. It's too bad Collins spent his post game conference bitching about the officiating, when he really should have been talking about what a great game it was, and how proud he was of his teams' effort. It was by far the Cats best performance this year to date. Collins just came off very poor, and I don't see it helping future games with officiating.

It went both ways. Lindsey clocked Vince Edwards and no call too.
It ALWAYS goes both ways . . . and EVERYONE - particularly fans of the team that just lost - would swear to the high heavens that they were jobbed by the officials; there's no telling them otherwise. As predictable as the sunrise.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
thanks for posting that, unfortunately that video is worse for us. He got ball before he hit Lindsay's hand. Go frame by frame.
I think we've actually had a thread on this very topic before. I think we came out that it's probably a foul by the book, but unwritten rules say it's probably not going to get called.

Reactions: TejasCat
You guys played a great game at West Lafayette. Each time Purdue looked to explode out of the gym, Northwestern turned it around. I think you hit 8 shots in a row against one of the better defensive teams in the country (#35?). The Purdue board has a lot of respect for the NW team. Good luck the rest of the way!

thanks for posting that, unfortunately that video is worse for us. He got ball before he hit Lindsay's hand. Go frame by frame.
Yeah, although I'd have loved to have gotten that call, objectively, that's not a foul for me. If the uniforms were reversed, we certainly would've been bellyaching about what a ticky-tack call that was.

Reactions: TejasCat

I agree on all points. I don't think it's a huge deal, but Collins should say he had the record wrong after the game.

I can't disagree with this take. I thought the game was pretty well officiated and that calls were pretty equally made and missed both ways... Plus, my radar for bad officiating was up because I thought that we got a ton of bad calls that really affected the previous game against Illinois.

It seemed to me that the discrepancy in trips to the line was 90% because of styles of play. I listened to Collins' WGN Radio interview after the game, which was more or less a rehearsal for what he would repeat in the post game press conference. Collins came off as obnoxious and whiny. It didn't leave a good impression to say the least.

I think what we're seeing is that it takes the officials a few weeks to get into game shape and officiate at a high level. The non conference is for both the teams and the officials.

We have seen games called radically different from one another in the same week by different crews. Which is ok when you have plenty of cupcakes and time between games.

Instead, to pursue a mysterious NY market, the Big Ten has forced teams to heavy up the front end of their schedule. More games and more conference games. It's not an excuse because all teams are affected. But it subjects the conference games to more inconsistent officiating. When the Big Ten refs are at their peak they'll be sitting home and watching TV the week between conference championship and pairings announcement.

This NY thing is stupid.

Collins needs to watch it. There is absolutely no upside to bitching about officiating. He knows that. He's demonstrated that he knows that. He was a bit out of control after Sundays game and that was about more than just the officiating.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
From day one of this gig, CC has always had a little Chrissy in him. Unfortunately, it's still there.

Whether he also has a reputation and it has a regular effect on the game, I'm not ready to go there ... yet.

The way the rule reads, intent does not matter. It was a flagrant foul, even though he did not intend to hit him in the face. Definitely accidental, but flagrant.
except....well...it was judged not. by the refs. kind of riduculous too. people are gonna get popped in the mouth. I think our point was if the refs did it for this situation (reviewed on tape) they def should have done the same when our guy was popped in the mouth at the end. only fair.

except....well...it was judged not. by the refs. kind of riduculous too. people are gonna get popped in the mouth. I think our point was if the refs did it for this situation (reviewed on tape) they def should have done the same when our guy was popped in the mouth at the end. only fair.

If this was the point, it was not well communicated.

Plus, if the officials had gone to the monitor, the replay shows nothing to suggest a Flagrant 1 foul on Haas--and they can't call a common foul after the fact...

So, if this was indeed the point, it is still a moot point.

Meanwhile, Scottie was super lucky not get a Flagrant 1 call on his monitor review.

When the Big Ten refs are at their peak they'll be sitting home and watching TV the week between conference championship and pairings announcement.

There are no “Big Ten refs.” Basketball doesn’t work like football - officials are usually assigned regionally to cut down travel costs, so certain officials are often associated with particular conferences, but they’re not conference-only.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
There are no “Big Ten refs.” Basketball doesn’t work like football - officials are usually assigned regionally to cut down travel costs, so certain officials are often associated with particular conferences, but they’re not conference-only.

You understand the point, right?

You understand the point, right?

I do, and I agree that the officials probably won't be in peak form less than a month into the season. Actually, the fact that there aren't formal Big Ten refs probably makes that worse, as there are more major conference games going on across the country and therefore fewer top officials available to handle the Big Ten conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT