ADVERTISEMENT

Oh no...Bamisile has flipped from NU to Va Tech

If recruiting has never been better over the past five years, why aren't things going swimmingly on the court? If Big Ten caliber players are being recruited, why is every single transfer from the program ending up at low-level D-1 programs?

We made a Dance in the last five years. A DANCE. And the recruiting for 2018 and 2019 is lights out even compared to the years of the players that got us to the dance (back to back years of above .90 in the 247 average, compare to the BMac/Law"Lindsay class, which was .86). That should pay huge dividends in the next 2-3 years.

Now, I would normally end this post with my typcial refrain to you, but I am going to end it with a "Carmody is awesome", becausa a) his wife has cancer, and b) I cannot imagine how you much feel after being viciously attacked by other posters who called you the lowest of the low-- an Illini fan! No poster should be put through that...

These are precisely where the expectations should be. Arguing that things are okay because a coach is doing marginally better in wins than the guys before him who failed is an asinine argument. Depth is the coach's responsibility. If losing a starter to injury devastates your season, you've failed in recruiting. The simple fact is that the current regime, like the previous ones, have continued to bring in a lot of players who aren't Big Ten material and one of the best pieces of evidence is where these players transfer once this is apparent. There aren't any NU players leaving to join North Carolina or Virginia or Villanova to contend for the NC. And the bottom line is that if recruiting really has taken a quantum leap, the program would not be where it is right now. Full stop.

Let examine your theory of CC doing marginally better than Bill, shall we? Tale of the tape

CC:

.518 winning percentage (best since Dutch Lonborg in the 40's!)
.364 BIG winning percentage (best since Larry Glass in the 60s)
Number of seasons to get to 100 wins: 5+ fastest in program history, by far
Number of 20-win seasons: 2-6
Number of 20-loss seasons: 0-6

BC:

.478 winning percentage (11 1/2 games behind CC)
.318 BIG winning percentage ( 25 1/2 games behind CC)
Number of seasons to 100 wins: 7+
Number of 20-win seasons: 2-13
Number of 20-loss seasons: 1-13

How is CC's record marginally better again?

Called it! At 11:30 this morning, Tweedledum!

What's the average star rating of the 1995 NU basketball recruiting class?

We don't know, because there was no composite rating system back then. I will take any of CC's best classes over them however, since the 4-year record of that class was 39-73...

We don't know, because there was no composite rating system back then. I will take any of CC's best classes over them however, since the 4-year record of that class was 39-73...

Oh, so when hack cub reporters and internet forum posters make hyperbolic statements about "highest rated class in program history" or "the highest rated recruit in program history" they are speaking out of their rectum areas? Interesting.

These are precisely where the expectations should be. Arguing that things are okay because a coach is doing marginally better in wins than the guys before him who failed is an asinine argument. Depth is the coach's responsibility. If losing a starter to injury devastates your season, you've failed in recruiting. The simple fact is that the current regime, like the previous ones, have continued to bring in a lot of players who aren't Big Ten material and one of the best pieces of evidence is where these players transfer once this is apparent. There aren't any NU players leaving to join North Carolina or Virginia or Villanova to contend for the NC. And the bottom line is that if recruiting really has taken a quantum leap, the program would not be where it is right now. Full stop.

Now that the dust has settled from incorrectly attacking cometclear as an Illini fan, I want to acknowledge this post. Cometclear's points merit some discussion.

Despite repeated claims of night-and-day differences in recruiting, we have not been seeing it in the results on the court. Indeed, we continue to have 3-5 Big Ten level players--with the very, very best of them topping out at 2nd/3rd Team All-Big Ten. Beyond that, there is very little competitive depth. Instead of having past "depth" that consisted of a mixture of walk-ons and European recruits who didn't have much business being on a Big Ten team, we currently and recently have had a mixture of walk-ons, unused scholarships, a 5th year senior who last played competitive basketball in high school and so on. In essence, nothing has changed.

Further, the Collins-recruited "stars" (McIntosh/Law/Pardon/Lindsey/Gaines) have been more or less on par with the Carmody-recruited "stars" (Shurna/Juice/Moore/Crawford/Coble). They are European Pro-level guys, but not NBA-level talents.

Of course, I am still holding out hope for Nance, Beran, Jones and Kopp...but there's not much beyond that. And it's the same problem of having 3-5 quality players plus some Big Ten bench also-rans and a few complete duds. I hate to disparage our hard-working and well-meaning players (past and present), but we can all acknowledge that the majority of NU's team has always been made up of guys who are not serious high-major players. Unfortunately, this has not changed under Collins...even with the magical NCAA Tournament run, a new arena, a long-term coaching contract and a doubled recruiting budget.

As cometclear points out, it is quite telling that our former so-called stud recruits have transferred to play in the Patriot League, Missouri Valley and Metro Atlantic Athletic Conferences.

However, I might argue that we do no actually need future NBA stars to be a solid college team. (Of course, it would help.) I believe that if Collins can fill the majority of the roster with guys that live up to that ceiling of 2nd/3rd team All Big Ten level potential, we would have something special. Iowa and Wisconsin have had some really good teams like this. Unfortunately, Carmody was never able to get enough good guys at once. So far, neither has Collins...except for the one Tournament season with a strong combination of solid (not great) Collins and Carmody recruits coupled with some good fortune regarding health.

But maybe this one successful season should be the model for building initial success. This has sort of been Fitzgerald's blueprint for building success. The one thing that we cannot continue to have is unused scholarships and transfers every season. If you are going to build a team with 3-star and marginal 4-star talents, we need to develop the players and win with a system that wins. Again, this has been the Iowa and Wisconsin path to success...and probably one NU should look to model. It's clear that NU will never succeed trying to duplicate Duke's approach.

We made a Dance in the last five years. A DANCE. And the recruiting for 2018 and 2019 is lights out even compared to the years of the players that got us to the dance (back to back years of above .90 in the 247 average, compare to the BMac/Law"Lindsay class, which was .86). That should pay huge dividends in the next 2-3 years.

Now, I would normally end this post with my typcial refrain to you, but I am going to end it with a "Carmody is awesome", becausa a) his wife has cancer, and b) I cannot imagine how you much feel after being viciously attacked by other posters who called you the lowest of the low-- an Illini fan! No poster should be put through that...

Gee, that's mighty swell of you, Arch. You're all heart, on both counts. You're a giver. You give. It's what you do.

Oh, so when hack cub reporters and internet forum posters make hyperbolic statements about "highest rated class in program history" or "the highest rated recruit in program history" they are speaking out of their rectum areas? Interesting.
Don't know. Last two were the highest average ranking in the 247 composite history, though, so there's that...

Now that the dust has settled from incorrectly attacking cometclear as an Illini fan, I want to acknowledge this post. Cometclear's points merit some discussion.

Despite repeated claims of night-and-day differences in recruiting, we have not been seeing it in the results on the court. Indeed, we continue to have 3-5 Big Ten level players--with the very, very best of them topping out at 2nd/3rd Team All-Big Ten. Beyond that, there is very little competitive depth. Instead of having past "depth" that consisted of a mixture of walk-ons and European recruits who didn't have much business being on a Big Ten team, we currently and recently have had a mixture of walk-ons, unused scholarships, a 5th year senior who last played competitive basketball in high school and so on. In essence, nothing has changed.

Further, the Collins-recruited "stars" (McIntosh/Law/Pardon/Lindsey/Gaines) have been more or less on par with the Carmody-recruited "stars" (Shurna/Juice/Moore/Crawford/Coble). They are European Pro-level guys, but not NBA-level talents.

Of course, I am still holding out hope for Nance, Beran, Jones and Kopp...but there's not much beyond that. And it's the same problem of having 3-5 quality players plus some Big Ten bench also-rans and a few complete duds. I hate to disparage our hard-working and well-meaning players (past and present), but we can all acknowledge that the majority of NU's team has always been made up of guys who are not serious high-major players. Unfortunately, this has not changed under Collins...even with the magical NCAA Tournament run, a new arena, a long-term coaching contract and a doubled recruiting budget.

As cometclear points out, it is quite telling that our former so-called stud recruits have transferred to play in the Patriot League, Missouri Valley and Metro Atlantic Athletic Conferences.

However, I might argue that we do no actually need future NBA stars to be a solid college team. (Of course, it would help.) I believe that if Collins can fill the majority of the roster with guys that live up to that ceiling of 2nd/3rd team All Big Ten level potential, we would have something special. Iowa and Wisconsin have had some really good teams like this. Unfortunately, Carmody was never able to get enough good guys at once. So far, neither has Collins...except for the one Tournament season with a strong combination of solid (not great) Collins and Carmody recruits coupled with some good fortune regarding health.

But maybe this one successful season should be the model for building initial success. This has sort of been Fitzgerald's blueprint for building success. The one thing that we cannot continue to have is unused scholarships and transfers every season. If you are going to build a team with 3-star and marginal 4-star talents, we need to develop the players and win with a system that wins. Again, this has been the Iowa and Wisconsin path to success...and probably one NU should look to model. It's clear that NU will never succeed trying to duplicate Duke's approach.

You're attempting to have a rational, intellectual discussion with folks who only know the emotive level. As you can see, they have no idea how to deal with logical questions.

Reactions: IGNORE
When was the first year, again, that the composite rankings were posted?
They go back to 2003, so the entire era of modern recruiting. Even it went back farther, guven our ineptitude dating back to the 60s I doubt they would have shown any consistent success on the recruiting front..

I believe we are getting better players under Collins.

I also believe Carmody’s system was more conducive to overachieving relative to the talent level of the team.

I believe Carmody had a “higher floor, but lower ceiling” because of this, while Collins has a lower floor and higher ceiling, as he is choosing to compete against the Big Ten at its own game.

When injuries happen (Falzon, Ivanauskas) or guys don’t ever develop properly (Ash, Brown, Benson) there is no fallback on a system. When you have the “right team” of upperclassmen, a season like 2016-17 can happen.

Guys, you're confusing comet with an Illini fan. He is actually a Carmody nut-hugger. I know it's hard to tell the trolls apart here sometimes, but please don't unfairly disparage him by calling him an Illini fan. That is FAR worse than being a Carmody nut-hugger...
My bad. Now I remember, this character is the old guy/gal who shows up every other month to bash CCC. He repeats the same drivel and it inevitably turns into a series of posts where he/she attacks you and anyone else that doesn’t believe in his/her drivel as “homers”. He’ll be happy as a pig in slop next year so be prepared. Often gets confused for an Illini fan and longs for the golden days of Evan E. Not an Illini fan but knows too little about the NU posters here that he/she calls everyone Pollyannas that show even a glimmer of support for CCC.

They go back to 2003, so the entire era of modern recruiting. Even it went back farther, guven our ineptitude dating back to the 60s I doubt they would have shown any consistent success on the recruiting front..

That's bull. We had plenty of great players in the 1960s and some great recruits under Falk. The Falk recruits all got hurt, a few spectacularly so to the point they barely ever got to play. Then Foster brought in some great talent but they bolted.

These things happened largely because of a lack of institutional support. Now we have financial support, which is no small thing, but we need more administrative support as far as admissions.

My bad. Now I remember, this character is the old guy/gal who shows up every other month to bash CCC. He repeats the same drivel and it inevitably turns into a series of posts where he/she attacks you and anyone else that doesn’t believe in his/her drivel as “homers”. He’ll be happy as a pig in slop next year so be prepared. Often gets confused for an Illini fan and longs for the golden days of Evan E. Not an Illini fan but knows too little about the NU posters here that he/she calls everyone Pollyannas that show even a glimmer of support for CCC.

If Kopp and Nance don't turn a corner this year, we will all be longing for the golden days of Evan's NIT team. We need some of these guys to produce.

That's bull. We had plenty of great players in the 1960s and some great recruits under Falk. The Falk recruits all got hurt, a few spectacularly so to the point they barely ever got to play. Then Foster brought in some great talent but they bolted.

These things happened largely because of a lack of institutional support. Now we have financial support, which is no small thing, but we need more administrative support as far as admissions.
Even with Foster, you'te gojng back to the 1980s. To compare that to modern-day recruiting is ridiculous, ino. and even if it weren't. I'm told around here that only results matter when it comes to recruiting, which means our recruiting wasn't any good in the 70s and 80s, either...

Reactions: DaCat

Excellent post

Reactions: go cats go
It's clear that NU will never succeed trying to duplicate Duke's approach.

Thought this was a good post.

I'd probably swap in Jershon Cobb for Moore, but that's me.

Two other issues. While I agree that Carmody's three star rosters were very good, they were all skill players and I'm not sure how much better a Juice or Coble developed. They were good coming in, they were good a seniors. Same with Jershon and others.

Two of Collins' four star recruits were bigs...Rap and Benson. One left after injury and the other never developed as a force. If either of those guys are seniors in high school today and would commit, does any NU coach take them? Bigs are riskier bets. Bigs that qualify academically for NU are riskier yet.

On the issue of unused schollies....Collins has been very disciplined in not giving a seat to players who can't compete at the upper level of D1 in some manner. He'd rather reach into the student body and get practice bodies than tie up a locker for four years. It should be instructive to us and the administration. With transfers, it is unlikely to get better.

NU needs one of the guys on scholarship, preferably two, to be upper echelon Big Ten players.

At the very least, we should see signs of that this year. Rather than a three star Pardon playing three years like a four star, a four star Beran or Kopp playing like a five star.

On the issue of unused schollies....Collins has been very disciplined in not giving a seat to players who can't compete at the upper level of D1 in some manner. He'd rather reach into the student body and get practice bodies than tie up a locker for four years. It should be instructive to us and the administration. With transfers, it is unlikely to get better.
I guess he learned his lesson with Vassar........

Even with Foster, you'te gojng back to the 1980s. To compare that to modern-day recruiting is ridiculous, ino. and even if it weren't. I'm told around here that only results matter when it comes to recruiting, which means our recruiting wasn't any good in the 70s and 80s, either...

You understand Foster coached well into the 90s and his recruits were still playing into the mid90s?

You also understand you can bring in one incredible recruit but still lack enough good pieces to win games, right?

I think if people want to criticize Collins, recruiting is the wrong place to start. Instead, he should be held accountable for the lousy offenses, the decision to offer some marginal guys, and possibly running off players. (On the latter topic, it isn't offensive to me; it's just not Northwestern style... whatever that means when our style is losing-losing-losing. Maybe we shouldn't be upset if he runs off guys if we want to win?)

What is clear is that you don't need to exaggerate Coach's recruiting prowess, which you have. He's doing great by Northwestern standards, just not good enough by the Big Ten's.

Problem with a short roster is that the season is LLLOOOONG and it's hard to avoid injuries. I like the potential of the current group, but already we have Gaines with a stress fracture.

Reactions: Dugan15 and IGNORE
Let examine your theory of CC doing marginally better than Bill, shall we? Tale of the tape

CC:

.518 winning percentage (best since Dutch Lonborg in the 40's!)
.364 BIG winning percentage (best since Larry Glass in the 60s)
Number of seasons to get to 100 wins: 5+ fastest in program history, by far
Number of 20-win seasons: 2-6
Number of 20-loss seasons: 0-6

BC:

.478 winning percentage (11 1/2 games behind CC)
.318 BIG winning percentage ( 25 1/2 games behind CC)
Number of seasons to 100 wins: 7+
Number of 20-win seasons: 2-13
Number of 20-loss seasons: 1-13

How is CC's record marginally better again?

I'd be careful with these arguments. Those numbers are about to change drastically for CCC. Someone may thro this back at you following the upcoming season. Can't imagine anyone here ever thought CCC's number would fall to BC levels - but this season is looking ugly.

Reactions: Vassar69
Wasn't Vassar the one who requested a transfer out? After all he transferred to at least two or three high schools. Must be in his blood.

Yes, he was, if you are one that is obtuse and believes everything at face value. If that's you, then Vassar is largely to blame with all that went down.

I'd be careful with these arguments. Those numbers are about to change drastically for CCC. Someone may thro this back at you following the upcoming season. Can't imagine anyone here ever thought CCC's number would fall to BC levels - but this season is looking ugly.

Perhaps you need to brush up on your math skills? CC could be O for the BIG this season (which he won't be) and STILL have a better BIG winning percentage that BC...he's that far ahead...

You understand Foster coached well into the 90s and his recruits were still playing into the mid90s?

You also understand you can bring in one incredible recruit but still lack enough good pieces to win games, right?

I think if people want to criticize Collins, recruiting is the wrong place to start. Instead, he should be held accountable for the lousy offenses, the decision to offer some marginal guys, and possibly running off players. (On the latter topic, it isn't offensive to me; it's just not Northwestern style... whatever that means when our style is losing-losing-losing. Maybe we shouldn't be upset if he runs off guys if we want to win?)

What is clear is that you don't need to exaggerate Coach's recruiting prowess, which you have. He's doing great by Northwestern standards, just not good enough by the Big Ten's.

Since I went to NU from 1985-1989, yes, I understand when Foster coached. I also understand that he richly deserved his 13-113 record (man how was that even possible?) in the BIG his 7 seasons here, To compare anything about that era to now is absolutely laughable, imo. I used to ref intramurals back then, and some of the players in those games appears to be better than players who were actually on the team...and I was far from the only one who felt that way, Just an absolute disaster-- thanks for reminding me, though?

Since I went to NU from 1985-1989, yes, I understand when Foster coached. I also understand that he richly deserved his 13-113 record (man how was that even possible?) in the BIG his 7 seasons here, To compare anything about that era to now is absolutely laughable, imo. I used to ref intramurals back then, and some of the players in those games appears to be better than players who were actually on the team...and I was far from the only one who felt that way, Just an absolute disaster-- thanks for reminding me, though?

Ha! I was a ref from ‘88-‘91. I don’t know about talent level, but the game I reffed between the Purple league champion against Kellogg league champion had 5-star machismo. That is for sure!

I have a tough time seeing consistent unused scholarships as a sign of discipline or maintaining standards or, really, anything but miscalculating the market.

The average scholarship certainly hasn’t (and doesn’t, any longer) lasted four years, so I see limited downside in filling out the roster with a kid who otherwise is headed to the MAC or CAA or Ivy or wherever. (This year’s probable starting center claimed offers from Maryland, Northwestern, and a bunch of Patriot and Ivy squads. Let’s get more of those, if we can’t get more with 20+ high-major offers.)

It would seem that while recruiting at NU has picked up, it has throughout the conference as well. Recruiting has improved but that does not mean that CCC has been able to fill all the positions with studs. He has gotten good individuals but has had had problems putting together a complete team. It looks like we are closer but we shall see.

Perhaps you need to brush up on your math skills? CC could be O for the BIG this season (which he won't be) and STILL have a better BIG winning percentage that BC...he's that far ahead...

It's such an ugly look when people are nasty and wrong. The above is a false statement. An 0-20 B1G season would put CC's B1G winning percentage behind Carmody. (Re-check your math, mikewebb.)

Also, in your list of CC's accomplishments, I notice that you didn't list winning seasons. Carmody had a winning record in 5 of his 13 seasons. Collins has had a winning record in 2 of his 6 seasons. Of course, neither one is anything to brag about...but there's no denying that Collins took over a program that had made the NIT 4 of the previous 5 seasons and has taken it to dead last in the B1G.

Further, to make matters worse for for the picture you are trying to paint, CC's first winning season featured 3 starters/team captains recruited by BC. And his other winning season featured a starter and team captain recruited by BC. CC hasn't produced a winning season since Carmody's guys graduated.

It's such an ugly look when people are nasty and wrong. The above is a false statement. An 0-20 B1G season would put CC's B1G winning percentage behind Carmody. (Re-check your math, mikewebb.)

Also, in your list of CC's accomplishments, I notice that you didn't list winning seasons. Carmody had a winning record in 5 of his 13 seasons. Collins has had a winning record in 2 of his 6 seasons. Of course, neither one is anything to brag about...but there's no denying that Collins took over a program that had made the NIT 4 of the previous 5 seasons and has taken it to dead last in the B1G.

Further, to make matters worse for for the picture you are trying to paint, CC's first winning season featured 3 starters/team captains recruited by BC. And his other winning season featured a starter and team captain recruited by BC. CC hasn't produced a winning season since Carmody's guys graduated.
OK, i made a minor error in not accounting for the fact that BC has so many more seasons to factor into his %. So, if tour fantasylamd season happens where CC goes 0-20 in the BIG, his % would indeed be behind BC, but, amazingly, just barely.

Sounds like I have another candidate for my board ban wager if you beloeve such nonsense will happen, though.

To recap:

I am wagering anyone on the board that the Cats will inprove their BIG record this year over last year:

So it's me: 5 or more BIG wins
You: 4 wins or less

Stakes: I win = you can't make NU basketball related posts on any Rivals board for a full year
You win: the same, except the ban applies to me

Bet is off of there are any future negative developments involving the program, so the time to act is now!

You game? QTC.

Last edited:
OK, i made a minor error in not accounting for the fact that BC has so many more seasons to factor into his %. So, if tour fantasylamd season happens where CC goes 0-20 in the BIG, his % would indeed be behind BC, but, amazingly, just barely.

Sounds like I have another candidate for my board ban wager if you beloeve such nonsense will happen, though.

To recap:

I am wagering anyone on the board that the Cats will inprove their BIG record this year over last year:

So it's me: 5 or more BIG wins
You: 4 wins or less

Stakes: I win = you can't make NU basketball related posts on any Rivals board for a full year
You win: the same, except the ban applies to me

Bet is off of there are any future negative developments involving the program, so the time to act is now!

You game? QTC.

I think you should apologize for your previous post .

I was thinking overall record and I’m thinking after 20-21.

Maybe you should look again at those winning seasons. He had a 16-13 record in year two with recruits from Oneill (heck, ONiell had a winning season in year 2). He did not have another winning season till year 9 and it was a 17-14. He also played a higher % non conference games where he got his wins. He did not get a 20 win season till season 10 CCC has had two including one where we won 24 games. CCC has a winning record at NU, and a BIG winning season. BC never had a winning record at NU and never had a winning conference record. Yes we are concerned with state of the program but so far CCC is in the lead. Are there some growing pains? Absolutley. But this is NU BB

20-21 will be a good, if not great, season, if the current recruiting trendline continues.

Trendline? You cannot be talking about wins. You must still be focused on recruit rankings. Didn’t you star rankings are for losers?

Trendline? You cannot be talking about wins. You must still be focused on recruit rankings. Didn’t you star rankings are for losers?
I've never said that. I actually quote recruiting stats more than any other poster on here. You must have me confused with someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT